forum

Buying my first pen. Need advice .

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[XJ9]
I have been playing a lot of Osu in the past two months, and I am about to buy my first ever pen http://www.amazon.ca/Wacom-CTL480-Intuo ... com+tablet

I few questions on how to play with it , I see that some people would hover the pen slightly over the surface, while others touch the surface with their pens , what is the difference? also what are the best settings to use on the tablet that would work well with the 1366x768 osu resolution I use to play.
sarnex
I always hover the pen, I never touch the pen to the tablet. I have the entire tablet mapped to my screen(1080p), no scale down. I heard both of these points are the best way to play.
Cocaine dog
Hovering is the best way to play in terms of playing rapidly, and the tablet doesn't get broken as fast. (Assuming that it gets broken in the end.)

I play with the same resolution you do, and I have about 2/5 of my tablet covered which prolly is like 1/4 of the one you're buying, that part is all about personal preference I think.
Pettanko
you should formulate your own opinion on the matter when you actually get your tablet and choose the most comfortable method of playing

actually nvm the only correct tablet area/pen grip is the one that cookiezi used, everyone else is wrong
[ infL ]
Also I think you should start with full area and see how it is. It may be hard to begin with but it's probably easier moving down areas than it is to move up. Also remember it takes time to see results so don't expect anything instantly :)
Maxis
It's really up to preference, experiment and see what feels most comfortable to you. There's no right or wrong playstyle.

I do recommend hovering if you don't want to damage the tablet, but if you find yourself playing better whilst dragging and you think it's worth the tablet's lifespan, then go for it. Again, experiment and see what you prefer most.
theLiminator
Hovering is probably better if it's comfortable for you. Just because that way you can move a bit faster and have less external forces acting on your cursor. But if dragging is more comfortable, go for that.
Bauxe

theLiminator wrote:

Hovering is probably better if it's comfortable for you. Just because that way you can move a bit faster and have less external forces acting on your cursor. But if dragging is more comfortable, go for that.
Hovering really doesn't make you move faster. Well maybe a tiny bit, but I can do 300bpm movement with dragging, so it doesn't really matter.

@op try both, see what you like more, and stick to it. The worst thing you can do is constantly changing how you play.
nrl

Cocaine dog wrote:

(Assuming that it gets broken in the end.)
Hovering shouldn't produce any wear and tear whatsoever. You're literally just wiggling your hand on top of the tablet.
Topic Starter
[XJ9]
Thanks for the advice guys.
deletemyaccount
For someone new to a tablet, hovering probably will feel extremely unnatural, but it really does vary in active area(in my opinion). If you're using a larger active area, hovering would probably not be a bad idea.

Drag or hover, I suggest you invest in some sort of protection for your tablet(I just used an ipad screen protecter, they are like 2 cents online).