forum

About alternating fingers when playing osu!...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
scoutheadshot
So I'm not sure I get it right. Should I alternate only on streams and such or on every single beat?

EDIT: Yeah well I first started this game off with single tapping than one of my friends persuaded me to change to alternating.However I do alternate on all beats....Is there a big difference between single tapping + alternate on streams and alternating every beat?
Noobsicle
should alternate on streams
alternating everywhere else is entirely up to you, single tapping is easier though
GoldenWolf

Noobsicle wrote:

single tapping is easier though
comes down to what you've practiced the most
Akali
Cocaine dog
I believe it's easier to singletap to improve faster, atleast for most people I know and myself. ( I used to alternate )
But you shouldn't drop it 100% because there are some extremely slow streams that you can't single tap where you need to be able to do them smoothly for good accuracy atleast. :)
But mainly alternate = streams, non-streams = Singletap for everyone I know
InControL_old

Cocaine dog wrote:

I believe it's easier to singletap to improve faster, atleast for most people I know and myself. ( I used to alternate )
But you shouldn't drop it 100% because there are some extremely slow streams that you can't single tap where you need to be able to do them smoothly for good accuracy atleast. :)
But mainly alternate = streams, non-streams = Singletap for everyone I know
Most people singletap because that's how most people do when they start playing. If you do well with alternate you should stay with it.
Kaeru
My best advice is to full alternate (alternate everything) and then try to do both. This is because if you do mostly single tapping you are going to have problems with streams early on. I started out as a full alternating player but I now single tap when I need to for better accuracy, so it is very possible to learn both. I still usually fully alternate everything, but only when there is no real benefit to single tapping. After alternating for so long I've gotten good enough at it that I rarely need to single tap.
deletemyaccount
The alternating fingers life is the good life

It seriously is a preference thing, I honestly believe in the end you should do both; its not like either of them or bad or anything.
They both have advantages and disadvantages, if you are more comfortable with playing full alternate then do it/vice versa.
aizhid
I alternated my whole life.

Look at my profile to see my accuracy on songs.

Regreted alting :D
Ishkiz

aizhid wrote:

It's hard to blame alternating in and of itself for that kind of accuracy, as there are plenty of alternating players who do have good accuracy.
Filthy Casual
I used to single tap pretty much everything but I've been finding lately that alternating just feels more natural at times. I still mostly single tap but I just managed to slowly develop the ability to alternate with good acc over time.
Akari-

aizhid wrote:

holy...

we've got the next bes_joker right here

OT: i would work on both for a bit, pick one, and stick with it

after singletapping with 1 finger i tried using the other finger and sometimes doing a half assed alt, and now my fingers get confused whenever i play something with triples
aizhid
At least 14k play count of only alternating... im still not sure if im doing it correctly. When I have time im definetly going to start over by single tapping
GoldenWolf

aizhid wrote:

the problem isn't alternating though
Zare
do what's fun

not even kidding, it will work out best, since technically there's no real advantage or disadvantage to singletapping or alternating (unless you're Elysion and DT With a Dance Number, I'd like to see that singletapped but yeah that's kinda not related)
nooblet

GoldenWolf wrote:

aizhid wrote:

the problem isn't alternating though
It's ... *insert drum roll* ... because of MASHING! Yaaaay *insert cheers*
AGRX
problem with acc with fullalt is that this technique allows you to tap faster, and the fact there is option to start with Z or X.
I just want to say that single tap is mentaly easier since you dont have to focus which finger plays which note.
(a.k.a random keyboard smashing streams). If full alt people tend to ignore accuracy i think the may start to develope reading problems.
GhostFrog
Full alt doesn't require you to focus on which finger plays which note. Whichever finger was just moving downward now goes up while the other finger goes down. It's completely automatic with just a little bit of practice.

Depending on how you move your fingers while alternating, it feels exactly like singletapping with 2 fingers and the only thing that's any more difficult than with singletapping is that you don't get the same stamina training that you do while using 1 finger. In exchange, it's less tiring and allows you to use the same style for maps of any speed (i.e. you don't have to switch playstyle for "fast singletaps").
- Milhofo -
I always alternate, I never even thought about single tapping, it just comes naturally. It gets pretty hard to improve streaming speed though, so I know what people are saying with best improvement with single tapping. I'm having a really hard time moving to faster songs and streams..
nooblet

Agrrox wrote:

problem with acc with fullalt is that this technique allows you to tap faster, and the fact there is option to start with Z or X.
I just want to say that single tap is mentaly easier since you dont have to focus which finger plays which note.
(a.k.a random keyboard smashing streams). If full alt people tend to ignore accuracy i think the may start to develope reading problems.
Full alt doesn't give you bad acc. Full alternators don't think about which finger we use either, it just comes completely naturally. If you have to think to alternate, then full alternating just doesn't suit you, thats it.
Accuracy problems all come down to the individual and how much they want to have good accuracy. If you don't obsess over accuracy constantly you'll never have good accuracy, regardless of your tapping style.
Same goes for reading, if you avoid maps that are hard to read and just say "they're overmapped" as an excuse, then you never be able to read those maps either. Only way to have better reading is to read stuff that's hard to read.
Raniemi
Full alternating gives you the advantage of worrying less about stamina and tapping speed. Streaming for alternators is kind of the same for singletappers. I'm a full alternator and I don't stream better or worst than the players around my rank. Alternating is also harder to learn and get used to though.
Those players who say that alternating leads to bad accuracy are wrong. Alternating only leads to bad accuracy if you don't care about accuracy and play maps that are way beyond your reading skills.