forum

[resolved] Extreme Performance Hit After the Last Two Updates

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Deadoutbreak
Problem Details:
Before the last two updates went live Osu! was working perfectly for me.
Before: FPS: Locked @ 200, but constantly 300-340.
After: Constantly dropping frames when looking for songs (from 200 to 5-45), switching screens etc.

Before: Instant solo loadup
After: Up to 15 second load times before I can even start a solo session

Before: Instant beatmap search results
After: Frozen screen while searching and up to 15 second delay until results appear. (That's each time the search is redefined, ex: adding or removing 1 letter)

System and general information:
System Specs: Processor: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Zotac GTX 770
RAM: 8GB CAS 9 (G. Skill)
Osu is located on a HDD @ 7200

General info:
I Have around 28k beatmaps and I understand that might slightly hinder performance when searching etc, but it never did this before.
I enjoy playing fullscreen.
Play with both a tablet (Wacom - Intuous 3) and mouse (Logitech G500s).

If you need any other info then let me know.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Unable to screenshot the frame drops as my screen freezes and the frames instantly go back up after the 15-30 seconds.

That is actually the default blue Osu background while I wait for solo to load up after 30 seconds. It appears white in screenshots for some reason. I cannot do anything while it's doing this by the way, besides open task manager or click hot-keys to screenshot, it doesn't let me leave Osu!'s window as the focus. it's the same when attempting to use the search feature or organize beatmaps by a different category.

After completing a beatmap, my screen will go black without sound for upwards of a minute.

I know a lot of these may seem petty just by reading them, but they are highly inconvenient seeing how I can't even repeat a beatmap if I complete it and can't even tab out during that time.

osu! version: 20140605.8 (latest)
MandyJS
Here's some more information that I hope might help, since I seem to be having this same problem. This happened to me while trying to play in mania mode.

When I start up the game and go to solo play, it takes the game about 30 seconds just to display the songs (I timed it). Before this was pretty much instant.

There is no lag at all when clicking between the various songs in the list after the list has finally appeared (the "random" button also has no lag at this point), but when I choose a specific song and click on it to play, the lag is nearly 2 minutes before the song starts up. This would take just seconds before. Actual gameplay seems unaffected. No lag once the song does start up and score submission at the end seems to be normal. No lag from what I can see. There is also no lag to replay the song.

When I click back to return to the list of songs, there is a black screen for about 30 seconds until the song list loads again.

Unlike Deadoutbreak, I don't seem to have any lag when I'm searching the songs, however.

To go from the song list back to the play/edit/options/exit menu screen though takes nearly 2 minutes for it to load. Again, this used to be instant.

I also have a large collection of songs (15k beatmaps in my collection), so perhaps this has something to do with it, though it never was an issue before.

Not too sure about my computer specs, but here's what I know:

Windows 7
8 GB of Ram
Frame Limiter: Unlimited (gameplay) - I tried changing this, but it didn't seem to help.
Screen Resolution: 1600x900 (Borderless) - I tried changing this to fullscreen, because it said it might reduce latency, but this didn't seem to help either.
tboss1995
I'm running on an i7 with 16GB RAM and had the same problem after the last updates. I found out that it was due to the fact that maps were listed by difficulty. So my post is now a bug report :
Last updates made the listing by difficulty just unusable since it makes loading time soooo long. Please fix this fast ! :)
Rampax
I had this b4 made me throw my mouse because it was messing my game . What i did was start the game and wait for a bit like 2 mins or so and suddenly when i play the lag dissapeared.
- Marco -

rampaxhellex wrote:

I had this b4 made me throw my mouse because it was messing my game . What i did was start the game and wait for a bit like 2 mins or so and suddenly when i play the lag dissapeared.
It's not a lag it's a slow loading ;)
Rampax

marcostudios wrote:

rampaxhellex wrote:

It's not a lag it's a slow loading ;)
I got 1 method maybe ;D try importing a map to your osu.exe and F5.
Topic Starter
Deadoutbreak

MandyJS wrote:

When I start up the game and go to solo play, it takes the game about 30 seconds just to display the songs (I timed it). Before this was pretty much instant.

There is no lag at all when clicking between the various songs in the list after the list has finally appeared (the "random" button also has no lag at this point), but when I choose a specific song and click on it to play, the lag is nearly 2 minutes before the song starts up. This would take just seconds before. Actual gameplay seems unaffected. No lag once the song does start up and score submission at the end seems to be normal. No lag from what I can see. There is also no lag to replay the song.

When I click back to return to the list of songs, there is a black screen for about 30 seconds until the song list loads again.

Unlike Deadoutbreak, I don't seem to have any lag when I'm searching the songs, however.

To go from the song list back to the play/edit/options/exit menu screen though takes nearly 2 minutes for it to load. Again, this used to be instant.

I also have a large collection of songs (15k beatmaps in my collection), so perhaps this has something to do with it, though it never was an issue before.

Screen Resolution: 1600x900 (Borderless) - I tried changing this to fullscreen, because it said it might reduce latency, but this didn't seem to help either.
When I random it 'lags' for up to 15 seconds as well, and just like you I timed how long it takes for the song list to load up (45 seconds to 1 minute) when it was almost instant before the updates.

When I finish a song it takes up to a minute to get back to the song list, as well as that 45 seconds of 'lagging' if I try to search for a song. I'll try organizing them by a different. But like you said, no actual effect on gameplay as far as I can tell, just the parts inbetween it.

Thank you for showing me I'm not the only one! D:
peppy
I'm aware of the slow load on some sort modes. A temporary solution is to change your sort mode.
MandyJS
Thanks Peppy. I've switched the sort order by artist now, which seems to have cleared up the problem :)
peppy
This is fixed on the test build.
peppy
and public