forum

Choking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jau
I've recently thought about this and was wondering if anyone experiences the same things when choking as I do.

When I know I'm doing very well, the following occurs...
1. My arm tenses up (mouse player)
2. My heart starts to beat faster
3. My eyes widen and go into a glare (almost as if I'm giving the screen a stern look)
4. It becomes very hard to breathe

Any tips on how to alleviate these problems?

For myself, I usually play the best when I am playing relaxed and mindless, barely thinking about my scores or what not. But when a break occurs, I have a tendency to look at my accuracy and the scoreboard on the right side (to check if I'm beating my old score). Before breaks, everything is good, hitting 300's on everything with little to no effort, but once I get a break, boom straight into panic mode and down the road to choking =(
Full Tablet
Remove any foreign object from your mouth while playing.
Purple

Full Tablet wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Choke

@OP Getting nervous is kind of a primitive response your body has when it senses a threat. In this case, the threat being missing a circle or losing accuracy. If you can teach yourself that getting a miss in osu does not constitue any sort of serious harm, that should help you do better, though there is no way to completely eliminate the nervousness.
xasuma
When yo do well about 10.000 times, you won't feel it anymore, cuz every play will be a "im doing well" one. :)

so just get used to the feeling until you don't feel it.
[ infL ]

xasuma wrote:

When yo do well about 10.000 times, you won't feel it anymore, cuz every play will be a "im doing well" one. :)

But I think even the top players get nervous from time to time, especially when they are just about to get some crazy score :)

So it happens to everyone so you shouldn't worry about it too much. What I do if I'm getting nervous towards the end of the song and theres a break, I pause during the break and wait a bit to calm down lol ^^
EasyMillions
It happens, everyone gets nervous regardless of skill or experience. The best thing I could say concentrate on the game while playing
don't think about your score until after you finish.
InControL_old
I always start choking near the end of the song if I haven't miss yet. But once I miss I can play well again :D
Rewben2

Purple wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Choke
I think full tablet was making a funny
Mofu kun
I choke sometimes, then I remember, I need to remove my hands from her throat.
Varetyr
And I thought it was an exception...

Seriously wtf, I just don't get it, how to "choke" from playing osu! .
pooptartsonas

xasuma wrote:

Getting better at the game has only made me feel more nervous when I'm about to get a score that's at the edge of my limits. I think it depends on the person.
BlackSnowy
Try keeping a smile on your face
NeXt4r_

BlackSnowy wrote:

Try keeping a smile on your face
like your profile pic
KupcaH
like necropost.
NeXt4r_
like shitpost
Osten
when you choke and you have a 99.2 ac and you get A :/
Railey2
when you choke, always make sure to have a safeword, or safegesture! Stay safe, kids
RedONI
I tend to do it when I reach trouble spots on a map, like when I have to switch to keyboard tapping. I just take a breath and try to remember the strategy, so I remember that I actually have something planned for that part when it comes.
Sojana

Osten wrote:

when you choke and you have a 99.2 ac and you get A :/
Happens all the time, if I fc'd all my 99% 98% chokes I'd get some sweet pp #stopthechokes ... nvm I just go play more, "gotta fc them all" #pokemonquotes
Ronja

Mofu kun wrote:

I choke sometimes, then I remember, I need to remove my hands from her throat.

:^)