forum

Osu! Party Mode!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,295
show more
ziogio
I totally love it!! (I'm going to give you a star just right now :) )

I don't think peppy will never realize it in less then two/three years LOL, it brings many new feature, but I hope he can seriously look at this mode. I think that should be really fun and it will bring new gamer type in osu!.

I love your idea, I hope to see that improvement in the game as soon as possible :)
leepdesu
Very detailed. I like this request.
Seijiro
Man, you're awesome. I could never bring up an idea like this.

I really hope it will be implemented, even if it seems to be a bit complex xD
Tekklorn
Interesting, sounds like it'd be fun to play with a group of friends :D
Topic Starter
Kaeru
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad people like it. It would be nice if we could include other game modes as well, but I think it would be a lot harder in mode like mania, for example. You don't really get any chance at all to see what item you might have, and using it would be even harder since most people use the space key reserved for the middle notes. I was thinking that maybe there could be a way to switch between modes (perhaps random special items) that can temporarily change the game mode, but most maps that were mapped for standard don't really translate too well to other modes. Let me know if you guys have any ideas regarding this topic.
ziogio

Kaeru wrote:

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad people like it. It would be nice if we could include other game modes as well, but I think it would be a lot harder in mode like mania, for example. You don't really get any chance at all to see what item you might have, and using it would be even harder since most people use the space key reserved for the middle notes. I was thinking that maybe there could be a way to switch between modes (perhaps random special items) that can temporarily change the game mode, but most maps that were mapped for standard don't really translate too well to other modes. Let me know if you guys have any ideas regarding this topic.
I think it's hard enough to make this even in the standard mode. We can see how this works firstly in this mode, I think :)
D e s
Ice Beam or Lag grenade. freeze your opponent screen 8-)
Starz0r
Have my stars (ノ゚ω゚)ノ
Arras
One thing I'd like to add to this: It may be a good idea to have items that target the player directly in front of you, or even ALL players in front of you, instead of only the one in first. If you're in 7th place and you throw an item at a person who's miles ahead it won't really help you.
One other suggestion is to assign a numerical "worth" to every item and change item distribution so that you get items with higher worth if you're further away from first place - and by this I mean in terms of points, not ranking. i.e. being 50k points behind but in 2nd will give you better items than if you're 20k points behind but in 4th.
Also, have more stars.
Topic Starter
Kaeru

Desu_p wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I added Blizzard, which doesn't actually freeze the whole screen but can freeze the cursor.

Starz0r wrote:

Have my stars (ノ゚ω゚)ノ
Thank you. :P

Arras wrote:

One thing I'd like to add to this: It may be a good idea to have items that target the player directly in front of you, or even ALL players in front of you, instead of only the one in first. If you're in 7th place and you throw an item at a person who's miles ahead it won't really help you.
One other suggestion is to assign a numerical "worth" to every item and change item distribution so that you get items with higher worth if you're further away from first place - and by this I mean in terms of points, not ranking. i.e. being 50k points behind but in 2nd will give you better items than if you're 20k points behind but in 4th.
Also, have more stars.
Yeah, that's a good idea. What if all items simply targeted the player above you? I think that would work (targeting all players above you seems a little overpowered with the items I can think of). This would also be nice because it would be really easy to know what player you're targeting. As for the numerical worth, I had already thought of that, but the influence based on score is new. How could one have a higher score and have a higher rating, though? Unless points work differently in this mode or the players are using accuracy as a win condition, of course.

And thanks a lot for the stars. :P
Arras

Kaeru wrote:

Desu_p wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I added Blizzard, which doesn't actually freeze the whole screen but can freeze the cursor.

Starz0r wrote:

Have my stars (ノ゚ω゚)ノ
Thank you. :P

Arras wrote:

Also, have more stars.
Yeah, that's a good idea. What if all items simply targeted the player above you? I think that would work. This would also be nice because it would be really easy to know what player you're targeting. As for the numerical worth, I had already thought of that, but the influence based on score is new. How could one have a higher score and have a higher rating, though? Unless points work differently in this mode or the players are using accuracy as a win condition, of course.

And thanks a lot for the stars. :P
What I mean is, if everyone is really close together, less powerful items would be handed out. If the point difference between first and second place is really large, second place would be given more powerful items in order to catch up than if he was right behind first.
Topic Starter
Kaeru

Arras wrote:

What I mean is, if everyone is really close together, less powerful items would be handed out. If the point difference between first and second place is really large, second place would be given more powerful items in order to catch up than if he was right behind first.
Oh, you meant behind the next player. For some reason I thought you meant behind first place. That makes a lot of sense. I think that should actually work quite well. I think I might also throw in an item or two that affects all opponents, rather than all players (like the lightning bolt in Mario Kart).
Howl
Interesting.
+1
Rin Satsuki_old
God, i didnt throw so much stars to a request since the touhosu request, fuu....

Well, here you have all my 53. Sry, it wasn't enough to push you over the +400

Maybe you can add a 2nd item slot for a shield item, which protects you from one attack item

meh...
Secretpipe
Looks awesome indeed :D/
Good luck ! :p
Topic Starter
Kaeru

Rin Satsuki wrote:

God, i didnt throw so much stars to a request since the touhosu request, fuu....

Well, here you have all my 53. Sry, it wasn't enough to push you over the +400

Maybe you can add a 2nd item slot for a shield item, which protects you from one attack item

meh...
Thanks a lot for all the stars! I think a second item slot would add too much complexity, so I've added the "Magic Mirror" item. I might add something else later too.

TheHowl wrote:

Interesting.
+1

Secretpipe wrote:

Looks awesome indeed :D/
Good luck ! :p
Thanks for your support. :P
Pawsu
This is a great idea!
I've loved seeing the concepts of stuff like this, especially in multiplayer mode.
Supporting!
Blitzelt
This is an interesting idea, making osu like mariokart... buutttt, i don't see this is going to be implemented by peppy anytime soon, still so long to the future :D (even clans idea and other top voted feature aren't implemented yet)
Mofu kun
If I had stars I would give.
Dexus
This would make multiplayer something to be actually playable and set it apart from just playing by yourself. With the large multiplayer lobbies it would be pretty intense and lots of fun to keep things interesting.
Maxis
gives all of my non-existent stars (they're there, you just have to squint to see them).
(really i would give you hundreds of stars if i could ;~;)

But honestly I'm absolutely in love with this idea, I think it would be a good way to make osu standard a lot more relaxing. Osu is a fairly competitive game as it is, so I think making a mode like this is a really good idea--it keeps all of standard's basic (and addicting) features, but also allows you to have a more fun and amusing experience with friends and other players.

I would definitely be playing this everyday if it gets implemented. :D
Aerithx3x3
What an awesome idea! *-* Love it very mutch! ;)
And now this one has a Priority of over 500 with +20 Stars :3

Keep this great work up and share more ideas with us! XD

Greetings,
me :D
SyraxAxoJaxco
Uhh, Kaeru, Osu is made to test your "surviving" from the music with the selected mods, not to "attack" other player game with mods, right? With your brand new ideas, everyone might not be happy when play because of the power-up effect. If me, i said that your ideas could make someone stressed. And with your ideas, the game needing a luck. Which means, this is not happy-to-play mode. Rather like fight-to-win.

But fine, i will give you some request. Make it so the power-up could be saved and turned on to other player with Spacebar when he/she wants to affect other player game at the time.

I won't vote (Or maybe dislike, if there is)

*sorry if you don't know what i mean beacuse of my language.
Bara-
Gfor that you could just use normal multi?
It's not it would replace it, because that would be bad, since I like normal multi as well
@Syrax
Arras

SyraxAxoJaxco wrote:

Make it so the power-up could be saved and turned on to other player with Spacebar when he/she wants to affect other player game at the time.
That's exactly how it would work according to the OP?
Topic Starter
Kaeru

SyraxAxoJaxco wrote:

With your brand new ideas, everyone might not be happy when play because of the power-up effect. If me, i said that your ideas could make someone stressed. And with your ideas, the game needing a luck. Which means, this is not happy-to-play mode. Rather like fight-to-win.
The whole purpose of this game mode is to relieve stress. Some people take regular multi-player way too seriously and this is a nice way to unwind while still improving at the game. The luck factor is intentionally there to make the game less skill-based because this game mode is not about winning. Party mode is about having fun with friends and having a laugh and not caring that you aren't ranking up or always beating people below your rank. Also, as Arras already commented, the items would already be able to be saved and used at will by pressing the space bar.

I thank everyone here for their support and stars (even those with none, thanks for the interest). I didn't expect this to get such a reaction so quickly and I really hope that others notice it and also share their opinions/ideas.
Bramble
I love this idea, it sounds REALLY fun! I hope it gets implemented :D
Topic Starter
Kaeru
Thanks a lot for all the support! I'll be adding a few more things to the main post soon, and maybe even a screenshot or two to help illustrate my ideas.
Maxis

Maxis wrote:

gives all of my non-existent stars (they're there, you just have to squint to see them).
(really i would give you hundreds of stars if i could ;~;)
got supporter, have some stars c:
Catgirl
There are a lot of issues with how this might be implemented but I think this is a very creative idea. I read through the entire post and I would definitely be interested in playing this.

Kaeru wrote:

Broken Key: Disables the opponent from using his/her secondary key (usually X/right click), forcing them to single tap.
Yes, this is what I noticed out of the entire post. :P Which would be the secondary key? I use Z as my main key because my middle finger is stronger but I know a lot of people use X.

Also, this item would be completely pointless on slow songs (easy/normal difficulties), unless it worked the other way around, forcing you to use your secondary key only. I know that having to switch from one finger to another would be a pretty big adjustment for me to make mid-song. Maybe the item would work better this way? (edit: you can always just move your hand over, lol)

Speaking of adjustments, I feel like so many of these items would cause you to instantly miss once they activate if they don't give you enough time to react. Would there be some sort of message with a warning telling you when an item is coming, similar to how you get a sound effect and a notification that a red shell is following you for example? "Hard Rock coming in 3, 2, 1..."

(edit 2: aww i wanted to put this on +666 priority but i forgot pink stars give +2 instead... looks like you're at +667 now lol)
Maxis

Decon082 wrote:

Kaeru wrote:

Broken Key: Disables the opponent from using his/her secondary key (usually X/right click), forcing them to single tap.
Yes, this is what I noticed out of the entire post. :P Which would be the secondary key? I use Z as my main key because my middle finger is stronger but I know a lot of people use X.

Also, this item would be completely pointless on slow songs (easy/normal difficulties), unless it worked the other way around, forcing you to use your secondary key only. I know that having to switch from one finger to another would be a pretty big adjustment for me to make mid-song. Maybe the item would work better this way? (edit: you can always just move your hand over, lol)
how about this: the key it disables is the one you've pressed most so far. e.g.: if you've pressed K1 197 times in the song so far and K2 10, it disables K1. this way no matter what your dominant finger is, you can't use it. Although if the intention is to only force singletapping (in other words you can use your dominant but not your secondary finger), then this can just be the other way around: it disables the key you've used least.

obviously for people who alternate it still remains the same; if you alternate so perfectly that K1 = K2 when the item is activated it can just be randomized.
Abaxvahl
I do believe, this would be..........epic. Epicness is over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A d r i a n
:o nice idea +4 stars :D
Topic Starter
Kaeru

Decon082 wrote:

Kaeru wrote:

The secondary key is M2 (right click) and whatever K2 is set to. I could switch it like you said, but some people (like me) prefer using their secondary key to single tap, so it would mostly only affect mouse users (right clicking is a little more difficult in my opinion). Items can be turned on/off though, so if you're playing a slow song you might want to just completely disable that item. Don't forget that it's also a possibly that someone picks up a "DT" or "Slider Slicer" (converts all sliders to streams) at the same time that someone is under the influence of the "Broken Key" effect. This can make it pretty nasty in some situations, even on slow songs.

Decon082 wrote:

Speaking of adjustments, I feel like so many of these items would cause you to instantly miss once they activate if they don't give you enough time to react. Would there be some sort of message with a warning telling you when an item is coming, similar to how you get a sound effect and a notification that a red shell is following you for example? "Hard Rock coming in 3, 2, 1..."
Every item will have a warning sound. Perhaps the warning sounds can be different, like how I intended to make item pick-up sounds unqiue so that players can easily tell which item they have acquired. I don't feel that this is completely necessary though because I replaced combo with the "Multiplier Bar" for this very reason. I wanted to make it okay for the player to miss, and I didn't want items that almost certainly make the player miss at least once to be overpowered (such as FL).

Maxis wrote:

how about this: the key it disables is the one you've pressed most so far. e.g.: if you've pressed K1 197 times in the song so far and K2 10, it disables K1. this way no matter what your dominant finger is, you can't use it. Although if the intention is to only force singletapping (in other words you can use your dominant but not your secondary finger), then this can just be the other way around: it disables the key you've used least.

obviously for people who alternate it still remains the same; if you alternate so perfectly that K1 = K2 when the item is activated it can just be randomized.
That's not a bad idea, I'll add that detail to the main post.

A d r i a n wrote:

:o nice idea +4 stars :D

Abaxvahl wrote:

I do believe, this would be..........epic. Epicness is over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it!
DJ Angel
Pretty stupid since rhythm games have nothing to do with mario kart

buuuuuuuuuuuuut. I like the idea of implementing a new game mode, finally innovating and doing something "more-original".

star~
cr4m

Kaeru wrote:

================================
Osu! Party Mode! / Mariosu! Kart / Mariosu! Party
================================

(thanks Arras and baraatje123 for the cool alternative names)

Here's a game mode idea I came up with a while ago but never got around to posting. As a game mode, it's fairly simple to implement in comparison to completely original game modes, since almost everything in this mode is already a part of Osu! in some way. Because of this, I felt like it might be a good idea to post it and see what people think. This mode is designed purely for fun, and would be ideal to play with a Skype group or a circle of friends who just want to have a fun time. I hope you guys like it!

Osu! Party Mode! is just like standard mode, with a few exceptions:

- Players cannot fail songs and there is no health meter.

- Combo is removed and replaced with the Multiplier Bar.

- Free mods cannot be used. DT/HT/EZ and Difficulty Increase mods can be put on a map (all players) but no Special mods are allowed.

- Players can obtain items by perfectly clearing certain segments of the song (like Star Power sections in Guitar Hero).

=========
Item Sections
=========

We'll call sections where you can obtain items "Item Sections". There are a certain number of these sections per song, depending on the length of the song. The game decides where to put these item sections before the round starts, and they appear at the same time for all players so that everyone has an equal chance. Certain patterns of circles in the song will be specially marked (each Item Section can be one entire combo, from the first circle of the combo to the last), and the player must hit all of the circles in that combo without missing to obtain an item. Below is a list of the different items that players can receive, and the effects they have on the game.

================
Battle Items (1 opponent)
================

These are items that, when used, affect one of the opponent's game play for a period of time. When you use a battle item, it will automatically attack the opponent in front of you (ex: third place attacks second place). If you're in first place, it will target a random opponent (this may change). Items stack and players can be faced with the effects of more than one item at a time.

Modifications:
=========

(all of these mods will affect your score the same way they do in regular Osu!)

Flashlight: Forces an opponent to play with the Flashlight mod. This item cannot be found when Flashlight mod is used as a map setting.

Hidden: Forces an opponent to play with the Hidden mod. This item cannot be found when Hidden mod is used as a map setting.

Hard Rock: Forces an opponent to play with the Hard Rock mod (this will not actually flip the circles). This item cannot be found when Hard Rock is used as a map setting.

Easy Mode: Forces an opponent to play with the Easy mod. If the player already has Hard Rock on, then the mods will cancel out (the 50% score gain still applies until the duration of this item is over). There is also no recovery since there is no way to fail. This item cannot be found if accuracy is enabled as a win condition instead of score. This item cannot be found when Easy mod is used as a map setting.

Special:
=====

Techno Rave: Lights up the opponent's screen with colourful lights (a reasonable amount, not seizure inducing), and plays a techno loop over the song (at a reasonable volume).

Broken Key: Disables the opponent from using his/her dominant key, forcing them to single tap. The "dominant" key is decided based on how many times the victim has pressed each key. For example, if the victim has pressed their primary key (usually Z) a hundred times and their secondary key (usually X) only three times, their primary key (Z) will be disabled. In the event that the person has pressed both keys the same number of times, the item will simply pick at random.

Mine: Plants a bomb somewhere on the opponent's screen in a random location where it does not ever come in contact with a circle for the entire duration of this item. If hit, the opponent's cursor will move a bit erratically for a short period of time.

Blizzard: Causes snowflakes to fall from the top of the opponent's screen. If the opponent touches one with the cursor, their cursor is frozen and cannot move for a short period of time (the item is removed after the effect happens once or after the duration expires).

Smoke Grenade: Fills the opponent's screen up with slightly transparent smoke, allowing them to see through while still making it more difficult to read the map.

=================
Power Items (yourself only)
=================

These are items that a player can use on him/herself to gain a personal advantage for a period of time. Using a second item of this type will cancel out a first one if one is still in effect. These items can always be used when you're being attacked, however.

Modifications:
=========

(none of these mods will affect your score)

Auto: Auto takes over and plays the game for you, effectively eliminating the effect of battle items while racking you up points. This is equivalent to the "Bullet Bill" in Super Mario Kart. You will usually only receive this item if you are doing poorly.

Auto Pilot: Auto pilot is enabled so that you don't have to move the cursor.

Relax: Relax is enabled so that you don't have to click.

Special:
=====

Score Upgrade: Increases the amount of points you receive by 50%. This item cannot be found if accuracy is enabled as a win condition instead of score.

Full 300's: Turns all 50's and 100's into 300's.

Circle Fertilizer: Makes all circles one size bigger. If combined with Hard Rock, circle size will go to the map default. This item cannot be found when the Circle Size of a map is set to one. This item cannot be found when Easy mod is used as a map setting. This item cannot be found by a player who already has "Easy Mode" on. If circles are already max size (in other words, if the Easy Mode item was applied after this item was found) this item will do nothing.

Difficulty Decrease: Overall Difficulty and HP Drain is slightly decreased. This item cannot be found when both the Overall Difficulty and HP Drain of a map cannot be lowered.

Magic Mirror: Temporarily redirects all "Battle Items" used on you to the opponent above you (or a random opponent if you're in first place).

================
Special Items (all players)
================

These are items that a player can use that affects every player in the room for a period of time. If more than one person uses this type of item, the effects will stack or cancel each other out. In the event that the same Special Item is used twice, the timer for that effect will be reset to the beginning. These items stack with all other items.

Modifications:
=========

Double Time / Nightcore: Increases the speed. This item cannot be found when DT is already put on a map. If this item is used and HT is on as a map setting, it will temporarily cancel it out.

Half Time: Decreases the speed. This item cannot be found when HT is already put on a map. If this item is used and DT is on as a map setting, it will temporarily cancel it out.

Spun Out: Spinners will be completely automatically. This item cannot be found if there are no spinners left in the map.

Special:
=====

Slider Slicer: Converts all regular sliders to quick streams (not reverse sliders).

Lightning Bolt: Increases the base AR of the map by one (AR 8 turns into AR 9, AR 9 turns into AR 10, etc). This item cannot be found when the base AR is already 10.

Rain Cloud: Decreases the base AR of the map by one (AR 10 turns into AR 9, AR 9 turns into AR 8, etc). This item cannot be found when the base AR is already 1.

Wheel of Chaos: Randomly changes the base Drain/AR/CS/OD of the map (randomizes all of these things within their allowed ranges).

=========
Items and You
=========

Items are obtained through item sections. You can use an item by pressing the item key (default button is Space, but you can change it). When you obtain an item, a sound is played (each item has a unique sound to allow the player know what they got without having to look in the corner).The item you currently have will appear in the bottom left corner (where combo usually is) and receiving a second item will replace the item you currently have (you can only hold one at a time).The item you receive is random, though not completely. Players who are in the lower half of the score board will have higher chances to receive better items (such as Auto), while players that are in the upper half will see these items less frequently. The chance of receiving a Special item never changes, however. All items can also be enabled/disabled based on the host's preferences.

===========
The Multiplier Bar
===========

Instead of combo, there is the Multiplier Bar. The Multiplier Bar is a multiplier that affects the amount of points you gain, and it replaces combo. It works just like the HP bar. Depending on how low (or high) your HP/Multiplier Bar is, you receive more points. When the bar is completely empty, you receive 1x points. When the bar is at its maximum, players will receive 2x points! Of course, anything in between is a multiplier between 1x and 2x (if your HP/Multiplier Bar is half full you will be receiving 1.5x points). During Kiai Mode/Kiai Time, the effect of the Multiplier Bar will double (it'll provide a multiplier between 2x and 4x)!

I think that's about it, though I might add more ideas later. If anyone has any feedback or comments I'd really like to hear it. It took a while to organize and type up all of this stuff.
Topic Starter
Kaeru

DJ Angel wrote:

Pretty stupid since rhythm games have nothing to do with mario kart
By that logic, Mario Kart is also stupid because racing games have nothing to do with collecting items. Tetris even has a similar mode now.
BlackStat
This would be great to addition into multiplayer.

It would actually give more meaning to multiplayer than just a bunch of people playing single player at the same time and comparing their scores at the end.
futuristech14
Pretty interesting with your mode, it's looks fun! I impressed with those features (you make it so complex)
but, it's takes long time for coding it isn't it? will peppy add this feature? well, just hope for it.. ;)

p.s : damn, multiplayer only? D:
ColdTooth
i love you

this is pretty badass and needed
show more