forum

depressed about how bad I am..

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
B1rd
So after playing a lot of osu! in the 6 months that I've been here (it says 5 months on my prof., but I remember very clearly I started playing on Christmas), I am very disappointed in my skill progression. When I first started I didn't really care about accuracy much, I just spammed hards, then insanes, but after a while I realised how atrocious my accuracy was so I went back and started to try and work on my accuracy and FC hards. And that's where my skill level has stayed.
The best I can do is full combo easy-normal hards after about 10-50 retries, whenever I try and increase the speed of the songs I do, I can never get a full combo, even after over 200 retries...
I play offline, but if you look at my top ranks they're pretty much the best I can do... Here is a good approximation of my skill progression:

accuracy increase of about 2%..

I just can't understand why I'm not getting better. I play osu! a lot, every day as long as I can remember for hours, I play songs the right songs for my skill.. I already bought pretty much the best equipment possible...
but when I look at other peoples' profiles, I'm about half as good as them. And honestly I don't care about not being good for my playcount, but I feel like I am progressing so slowly that I will never be able to become good at this game, to be competitive and be able to do songs like Scarlet Rose, The Big Black etc.

Sorry for the attention seeking thread but I feel like I need some consolation, it makes me regularly feel depressed that I can't become good at something even when I invest a lot of time and effort into it.
Ichi
I won´t lie it is very frustrating to put time into something and feel like you´re not doing as well as you should. My best advice for you is to take a break, maybe 1 or even 2 weeks, and start over fresh. You are caring too much about ranking and getting good ranks and progressing that you´re sort of stuck. Everyone feels like they haven´t progressed enough anyway so trust me, you have progressed more than that picture shows, even though i don´t know i can tell that. Just take a break and come back fresh, hopefully you will start improving more. If you need any more advice you can pm me, from the little i know i could maybe help.

Goodluck bro
leepdesu
you can do it
uzzi
You aren't challenging yourself. You should be playing the right maps if you want to see any improvement. I was in the same situation as you, and the way I coped with it was to play songs that I found challenging. Play more insanes, easy insanes if you have to. That was you can actually get used to harder songs.
Redon
El Koko
I play songs the right songs for my skill..
Don't play what's suitable for your current skill level. Play what's above it. Push your limits.

Right now I've hit a plateau and haven't progressed much but I know I eventually will anyway so I try not to get too upset... try playing without worrying too much about it for some time. Some multiplayer can help you chill out. Don't take the game too seriously, after all it's only a game.
Karote
~
Maxis

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

You aren't challenging yourself. You should be playing the right maps if you want to see any improvement. I was in the same situation as you, and the way I coped with it was to play songs that I found challenging. Play more insanes, easy insanes if you have to. That was you can actually get used to harder songs.
I have to agree with above (and with Kokozord as well). Don't go back and replay maps you already FC'ed 5 months ago, or you'll never improve. Push out of your comfort zone and play maps that challenge you, even if you fail them.

And remember, accuracy is just a digit. It doesn't judge your skill whatsoever. There's no point in retrying maps you've already S'd and FC'ed a long time ago, move on to new and harder ones.

I know you say you play offline, but if the playcount listed in your profile is close to your actual playcount, then your rank is actually pretty decent in terms of playcount compared to people around the same rank as you. And about playing offline--if you have Internet issues, alright--but otherwise there's no point in playing offline, like Redon said. Chances are you'll unintentionally get a good score at some point or another, and your rank will rise a decent chunk.

Don't be afraid of failure. Challenge yourself, that's how you improve in osu. Everyone's been there, they don't feel like they're good enough for how much they've played, I get it. But if you truly want to improve, you have to stop worrying about FCing those hards and move onto maps that you might not necessarily do good at first try.
Bauxe
If you are aiming for full combos to improve, you are really doing this wrong.
Blueprint
I don't know what I can type to help you but give us some easy insane replays, I could even make map recommendations but I can't visually see what your capable of.

Something I don't do which helps improve is to finish songs rather than see a bad combo/accuracy then quit retry/play something else.
Try setting a different goal, when I felt like I hit a border I tried to improve my accuracy because there was nothing better for me to do (my accuracy was like 85) so I asked around on the forums and the advice helped me progress t/202788 heres my crying <<<<
InControL_old
According to your profile you don't even have 1k play count. Most of people need 4-6k before playing insane. (In my case it took 8k because I quit Osu! for 3 months and then switched from mouse to tablet). Just play maps that you can barely pass starting with ar7 and before you know it you will fc those in no time. Personally I'm quite pleased with my progression (went from 75k to 28k in a month and half). Don't worry about PP and try to pass maps with B or even C is fine.
Blueprint

InControL wrote:

According to your profile you don't even have 1k play count. Most of people need 4-6k before playing insane. (In my case it took 8k because I quit Osu! for 3 months and then switched from mouse to tablet). Just play maps that you can barely pass starting with ar7 and before you know it you will fc those in no time. Personally I'm quite pleased with my progression (went from 75k to 28k in a month and half). Don't worry about PP and try to pass maps with B or even C is fine.
He plays offline no internet
Shohei Ohtani
maybe if you stopped fucking moping around and actually played the game and practiced with a positive attitude you'd be better
InControL_old

Blueprint wrote:

InControL wrote:

He plays offline no internet
What happened to your old avatar? :3 I loved that Kanade smile
Vuelo Eluko
i know how it is like to feel this way too, i have over 3.2 million hits and so many plays [that dont even include a lot of offline and unranked maps i play] and i dont really improve as fast as other people, but it does happen gradually. go back to some maps you used to have a hard time on in a few weeks/months and you'll see thats how i see.

it's a real struggle for me to get better even though i truly do try stuff thats really challenging

SPOILER
about an hour ago - Yiruma & Skullee - River Flows In You (A Love Note) [Love Note] 503,343 (B) Nightcore
about 2 hours ago - cYsmix feat. Emmy - Tear Rain [Insane] 1,583,823 (B) Nightcore
about 2 hours ago - A Day to Remember - Have Faith in Me [Faith] 367,882 (C) NoFail,DoubleTime
about 2 hours ago - A Day to Remember - Have Faith in Me [Faith] 297,599 (D) NoFail,DoubleTime
about 20 hours ago - Griffin Lewis - Princess of the Night [Insane] 310,862 (S) DoubleTime

rarely even play things I can get higher than a B on... idk i have no talent or the genetics for this so i have to work much harder than other players to improve i guess...

most ppl with my playcount/number of hits are in the 4 digits or close
Blueprint

InControL wrote:

What happened to your old avatar? :3 I loved that Kanade smile
Can't find it :(
xasuma
I think i know a thing or two about improving. ( I started playing on march 15th regularly, do the math)

If you are getting 97 and up % consistently on songs , regardless of fc or not (FC'ing is only concentration, luck , whatever, but not skill) , as long as you get semi-perfect perfomancee on something, dont do it anymore.
Go up a notch, until you accuracy drops a lot, when that level of play becomes normal to you, go up a notch, repeat.

I dont know how long of sessions you play for, but I hope they are at least an hour. For me it takes 20-30 minutes to warm up, if I were to not play after that, I would literally get nothing from those minutes. (improvement wise)

Spectate people who are better than u, let that motivate you.

Oh and please, dont try to fc songs. Dont play them 200 times as you mentioned... If you can fc something first try, good. If you can't , move on.
At your level, or even at my level , it isnt worth it. Because if you do what i say, 1 month later you ll be so much better than u ll actually do it first try.
Topic Starter
B1rd
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've read everything.

Bauxe wrote:

If you are aiming for full combos to improve, you are really doing this wrong.
A lot of people have said the same thing, I was really under the impresion that I should be aiming for full combos and getting good accuracy. The thing is that my speed isn't that bad, I don't know what a good example is, but I can 'pass' most insanes like Wahrheit or The Creator, but always with a B or C, so I though I should be trying to improve accuracy which is what I have trouble with.
But from now I'll try and challenge myself more with trying to get good accuracy with faster songs then.

CDFA wrote:

maybe if you stopped fucking moping around and actually played the game and practiced with a positive attitude you'd be better
I enjoy that game most of the time, I do try and be positive, sometimes I just get down because of how bad my performance is, I'm not Tohru Honda...

I only play offline because I don't have an internet connection at my place yet (sometimes I take my laptop to places to play online), I really would prefer to have one and see my progress, but doing some basic calculations I can't see my playcount being far off 10K. If that was true then even a self proclaimed 'bad' player like Bassist would be significantly better than me.

But anyway, thanks everyone, I feel a bit more encouraged now.
Bauxe
If you are getting a B or C, accuracy isn't your issue. Speed or aim is.
Top Bunk
Here's something to cheer you up. I've had this account for 4 years, and you're nearing in on my global rank already.
Granted that I played casually for a year, took a hiatus for a long while, then came back because other friends started playing it. And everyone I know has surpassed me now, even though I started playing again at the same time they started. So now I'm frantically trying to catch back up to them.
show more