forum

depressed about how bad I am..

posted
Total Posts
show more
deletemyaccount
It really does come down to HOW you play. Improvement only comes with challenge. I know the feeling of hitting a wall, it's annoying.

But seriously, keep at it! You will get better and notice significant improvement, I assure it.
InControL_old

Blueprint wrote:

InControL wrote:

What happened to your old avatar? :3 I loved that Kanade smile
Can't find it :(
I found it on google xD

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kanade+s ... 1024%3B576
Ayesha Altugle
cheer up m8, you will overcome that depression you are feeling right now if you do not think of that and develop your playing skills more
Illeria
I found it on google xD

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kanade+s ... 1024%3B576
Okay on the off-topic....kanade scares me for some reason...

Back to on-topic, maybe you should just do maps for fun, laugh if you find one so hard you fail in 3 seconds (okay that's just me though), and sort of play maps that seem pretty darn fun but hard you wanna beat? Woo, I'm pterribad at advice giving.
meteor22
nofail + DTHD on maps 170 bpm at least (making it 255 bpm)

do it all day everyday
Insyni
Progress comes in bit by bit. Try talking to yourself and reviewing patterns in edit mode. People might think you're crazy, but you will probably learn faster than just playing map after map.

It's just like studying. If you don't review what you study within 20 minutes of learning it, it won't be placed in your Long Term Memory. Just a funny thought that came up... if you play a map, study the patterns, play another map, study the patterns, then go back to the previous map...

Basically if you work in sets of 2 in order to learn, more information could be stored into the long term memory. Hmm... theories, theories.
Topic Starter
B1rd

uberpancake wrote:

Tried changing your dpi to 800 or something along those lines? Seeing as you're a mouse only your clicks disrupt your movement more the higher sens you have.
Alsi trying different grips can do a lot for your streaming if you're having problems with it.
IMO it's a misconception that clicks disrupt mouse movement, I've tried playing at 7000 dpi and I still didn't see any noticeable disruption, and players like Salochin play at 3000+ dpi at 1440x900 with mouse clicks and do very well.

meteor22 wrote:

nofail + DTHD on maps 170 bpm at least (making it 255 bpm)

do it all day everyday
but I can't singletap above 200 bpm :o

Anyway, I actually tried playing insanes today, I realised now that was actually too caught up in trying to get FCs with hards; I actually do a higher tier of difficulty decently, now all I need to do is practice those maps until I can get good accuracy~
uberpancake
I'm saying that because I changed to 800 dpi from 2700 about 1 month ago. My consistency has improved dramatically and if you're struggling with yours then I can see lowering it helping

Every "pro" mouse only I know of have under 2k. Best ranked even has 500 on 1920x1080. I could look some more up later today.
Topic Starter
B1rd

uberpancake wrote:

I'm saying that because I changed to 800 dpi from 2700 about 1 month ago. My consistency has improved dramatically and if you're struggling with yours then I can see lowering it helping

Every "pro" mouse only I know of have under 2k. Best ranked even has 500 on 1920x1080. I could look some more up later today.

I'd like to be able to just change to low dpi and become insta-better, but I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. Trying to use arm movement feels really awkward and unnatural. Even if all the best players use low dpi, I've still seen some good high dpi players, so I know it's viable.
2700 dpi is what I prefer, if I were going to change my playstyle to get better I'd probably just use a tablet.
Blueprint
Mouse>pen
winber1
osu! has been clinically proven to be an effective anti-depressant

results may vary between individuals. side effects may include depression and depression and also, dare i say it, depression.
Kodehawa_old
Progress is very gradual, at least for me that have almost 11.000 play count and doesn't rank that much.
Lately I've ranked a holy lot but it's just because I challenged myself.

Dat Unreal
Dude, you got 900 plays, theres like no progress to expect.
Sometimes people play 900 plays in days, and not 6 months. Just play more.
Topic Starter
B1rd

Dat Unreal wrote:

Dude, you got 900 plays, theres like no progress to expect.
Sometimes people play 900 plays in days, and not 6 months. Just play more.
here's a tip: try to be more perceptive in the future
EasyMillions
Don't focus what you're good at, focus what you're not good at, that's how you improve.

If it's truly hopeless, well there's nothing else to say.
[ yogurt ]
Download val0108's beatmaps. Play them, fail, cry, repeat. You'll get better that way.
vsprite
some people improve much faster than others i guess, or just have soem natural talent. Im around 10k and i rarely see anyone around my rank with less than 10k playcount. Try to watch your replays and see what it is you keep making mistakes of, and try to practise those parts many times.

Btw if you really do feel depressed about playing the game then dont play it at all. Games are about having fun not taking it too seriously. If you try to take it seriously while not being good at the game you will never get anywhere. Just keep playing for fun and you wont even start noticing your drastic improvements till around 50k rank. You'll be proud of how far you've come.

Also a tip: dont stay on 1 song for too long. I never repeat the same song more than 3 times, and i keep rotating between alot of songs. This way i've just gotten really consistent and decent at unpredictable beatmaps. This way you can rank up at a steady rate.
kuur0
Mix the maps you play around. Play stuff you can fc (more to acc practice I guess), play stuff you can fc with mod (just the ability to play with different mods which will help in the future), play stuff that challenges your current level, and retrying multiple times in a row on the same map is the last thing you ever want to do. Play through the whole song, you can quit like right at the end or something if you dont want that score to be recorded but play through them.

People progress at different rates. Some has already been exposed to rhythm games before allowing them to pick things up faster, some gets to play like a crap tonne of hours a day (I dunno how they manage to have that much playtime but they just do) so they significant amounts of exposure to the game in a short amount of time... lets say... 6hrs a day on avr for 3 months as compared to 2hrs a day for 3 months (rl > osu plz...). So try not to compare yourself to others too much, you just have to know you beated your previous self.
retepeters
imo level/playcount/time playing has nothing to do with your skill
everyone has a different play style, plays in a different rythm etc etc... what i am saying is: don't worry about ranking (because it is a bit ridiculous for people like you and me) and just have fun... don't go after the pp by doing the same maps over and over. try new and harder maps, even with NF if you need to
when i started i had the habbit of retrying easy and normal songs over and over, so didn't really evolve, like you.
don't expect fo FC songs when you first do them, find pleasure in doing everyday better than the day before

edit: and important advice from another noob. if youw ant to improve, download tons of beatmaps, i would recomment the chart beatmap packs
Mystrian_old

Illeria wrote:

laugh if you find one so hard you fail (okay that's just me though).
^ me on a spinner at the end of a song.

Story time
Don't feel bad. I literally wanted to perfect full combo (PFC) AR9's the first month I made my account. To this day i'm still trying to learn AR9 maps (could pass halfway now :). When i'm depressed I PFC easy and normal diff. (once nomod and again DT (+HR) if I feel I can.

I'm not a mouse player so my advice will mean nothing, but challenging yourself IS a useful tip (I try to combo sliders that are part of streams and usually end up with 100's and if it get's to long I break combo :(
tollox
As another low talent player who probably learned the wrong way at the start as well: it sucks man, I know.

Here's some unasked for advice:

Try playing a bit on both relax and auto pilot. It can become more obvious if your problem is within aim or accuracy.

If accuracy:
Check whether you have an offset problem. Turn on the bar thingy that shows in game and hover over the graph after you finish a map to check how you're doing. If your offset is constantly in one direction, change your universal offset or practice technique.
If your offset is bad (200+ unstable rate), but not necessarily in one direction, even on easy maps, then that's probably your issue. If you're unstable, higher OD maps will kill you no matter how hard you try. You can only hope to be as accurate on fast maps as your top accuracy on slow maps. So practice your unstable rate on slow maps.
Take an easy/normal where the notes have very obvious counterparts in the music and with a high note count, mod it to OD10 and AR8/9 and practice and practice and practice that unstable rate. Make sure that you have the highest frame rate limiter set if you're doing most of your timing with your eyes and also try playing it on HD to force yourself to use the music/internal timing more.

Really focus on following the accuracy on higher speed maps. Don't bother with aim for a while (play on auto pilot if you want), just try to get a balance of 300/100s that is shifted as far towards 300s as possible.

If aim:
Try to really focus on small parts of aim. Like making straight lines. Play a bunch of maps while thinking about nothing else than making straight lines between the notes. Don't even look at your accuracy afterwards, it doesn't matter, you just want to make straight lines right now. Make it part of your system.
Do the same again, but focus on hitting notes exactly in the middle, rather than somewhere on the edge.
Do the same again, but focus on finishing sliders completely.
Do the same on any area you feel you might be weak in, then practice all of these things again.

If you're having trouble following your cursor, try out some different skins.
Kettutyty
Just DT everything
Pengoose

xMaxisx wrote:

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

You aren't challenging yourself. You should be playing the right maps if you want to see any improvement. I was in the same situation as you, and the way I coped with it was to play songs that I found challenging. Play more insanes, easy insanes if you have to. That was you can actually get used to harder songs.
I have to agree with above (and with Kokozord as well). Don't go back and replay maps you already FC'ed 5 months ago, or you'll never improve. Push out of your comfort zone and play maps that challenge you, even if you fail them.

And remember, accuracy is just a digit. It doesn't judge your skill whatsoever. There's no point in retrying maps you've already S'd and FC'ed a long time ago, move on to new and harder ones.

I know you say you play offline, but if the playcount listed in your profile is close to your actual playcount, then your rank is actually pretty decent in terms of playcount compared to people around the same rank as you. And about playing offline--if you have Internet issues, alright--but otherwise there's no point in playing offline, like Redon said. Chances are you'll unintentionally get a good score at some point or another, and your rank will rise a decent chunk.

Don't be afraid of failure. Challenge yourself, that's how you improve in osu. Everyone's been there, they don't feel like they're good enough for how much they've played, I get it. But if you truly want to improve, you have to stop worrying about FCing those hards and move onto maps that you might not necessarily do good at first try.
Just going to agree here! Like in a lot of areas, push yourself to the limits!
iWhorse

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

You aren't challenging yourself

Bauxe wrote:

If you are aiming for full combos to improve, you are really doing this wrong.

Kuju wrote:

Just DT everything
Mikelicious

Kuju wrote:

Just DT everything
NO.