forum

Singletapping with Pen? Y/N

posted
Total Posts

Is tapping the tablet pen necessarily bad?

Yes
42.55%
No
27.66%
What?
29.79%
Total votes: 47
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
I've been singletapping with my pen for several years now (not a very active player until recently thus my surprisingly low rank vs. gametime), and I've always sorta wondered, is there any real disadvantage to tapping using the pen, aside from tablet/pen wear?

I use tablet pen primarily, Z+X for streams, pen+X for really fast streams/triplets etc (240bpm+, some DT maps, etc).

I am unable to singletap nearly as quickly with my keyboard hand in comparison to my pen hand; is that also a concern?

This question came upon me when I was playing DT maps and found that for some spaced streams, although I could read it just fine, I couldn't alternate with my keyboard hand fast enough and couldn't singletap fast enough to accommodate.

if necessary i can provide replays / tablet cam
Astar
People in top50 (zeluaR, Black Sheep etc.) play using tapX style, so there's nothing against it. It's just a preference, but you might have harder time playing very spaced streams.
GoldenWolf
You'll need to replace nibs more often, that's about it
Blueprint

GoldenWolf wrote:

You'll need to replace nibs more often, that's about it
This ^^
I do it on maps full of singles and sliders when I have no energy
xasuma
Play as comfortably as it is for YOU. Its all there is too it really.

Who cares if no-one else does it . If you are used to it and feel its better for you, then gg.
EcksDee
Alternate with pen.
Spin it around with every other note.

Someone do this
Illus
To be honest, I didn't imagine people doing this since it looks like a major hindrance for me.

On the other hand, I also do stuff people couldn't be possibly thinking that it's good, so do whatever is comfortable for you.
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
thanks for the feedback, I knew a few other people did it but I figured there must've been some innate disadvantage (maybe the time it takes to actually tap the pen down at higher bpms?)

i'll streaming (starting now) for maybe half an hour right with a tab-cam for anybody interested in my disastrous results

http://www.twitch.tv/lpolar
lovelace

EcksDee wrote:

Alternate with pen.
Spin it around with every other note.

Someone do this
I tend to flip it behind me, the top it off with a double corkscrew. But I think that's going a little off-topic.

OP: I wouldn't bother acquiring a general consensus on this; what I would say is, whatever works for you.