forum

Reading/Playing 'Busy' Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheTrueNorth
Before I ask for a suggestion, if you're just gonna post 'play more' or 'http://www.howtoimproveatosu.tk' or 'omg retard just practice', then please just leave, because it doesn't exactly contribute to what I'm asking. I do practice, maybe not enough but that's to be determined by what I'm missing here...

With that aside, I was wondering about improvement on what I'm calling a 'busy' map. A busy map is where there's a lot going on, with lots of single taps, sliders, triples, etc. All in a small period of time It's hard to explain it, so I'll be better off just listing examples
When I play these maps (Not Scarlet Rose, that was an example), the parts in which there is too much on the screen, I feel like I'm just pressing buttons and I either break combo or my accuracy plummets from 97%+ to 90% because I'm not actually timing it properly.

Is there a way to help break down 'busy'/'messy' maps, or am I looking at them in the incorrect way?
I'm also unsure if it is my reading level of these maps, or if they're just outside my skill level. I don't think it is the latter because the area's of the maps listed that are not extremely 'busy' are relatively straight forward to me.

Also, assuming I'm using the right terminology when I say busy, are there any maps that would be recommended for me to try and practice these sorts of maps more? It would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Vuelo Eluko
Do you alternate?
if you do, stop
sangu

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Do you alternate?
if you do, stop
Alternating or not alternating has nothing to do with this

OP: There really isn't a trick to it, if you're having trouble reading the song, it's probably because you are trying to jump too far ahead. You feel that you are "just pressing buttons" because you aren't reading the map but rather reacting to the approach circles, and this (sorry but I'm going to say it) comes with practice.
Vuelo Eluko

sanguisinvia wrote:

thats not true
Blueprint
It probably comes down to how fast you can read probably I'm probably wrong, freedman insane is easily readable for me and scarlet rose I don't try to read it I point at circles and face roll my keyboard

Also fast singles in general are usually hard to read and I will add not many people are good at single tapping scarlet
Coffee Hero
Don't listen to bassist vinyl he doesn't know anything. All you need to do is improve your reading it just takes time. alternatively you can modify maps and make them <ar7.
Pettanko
it's probably your reading ability, gotta focus on one note at a time instead of just praying to god that your cursor ends up on top of a circle when you press a key

try playing ar9 maps on hidden, maybe it'll help

or maybe you could play more
Vuelo Eluko

Shirokami- wrote:

Don't listen to bassist vinyl he doesn't know anything. All you need to do is improve your reading it just takes time. alternatively you can modify maps and make them <ar7.
you don't know anything.
Topic Starter
TheTrueNorth

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Do you alternate?
if you do, stop
I don't alternate unless I have *HAVE* to. I single tap most of the time unless I am streaming.

sanguisinvia wrote:

OP: There really isn't a trick to it, if you're having trouble reading the song, it's probably because you are trying to jump too far ahead. You feel that you are "just pressing buttons" because you aren't reading the map but rather reacting to the approach circles, and this (sorry but I'm going to say it) comes with practice.
Alright, thank you. I will practice more I guess :P
nooblet

Celesti3k wrote:

... I'm not actually timing it properly.

... I'm also unsure if it is my reading level of these maps, or if they're just outside my skill level. I don't think it is the latter because the area's of the maps listed that are not extremely 'busy' are relatively straight forward to me.

Your trouble reading probably has to do with the number of objects on screen. Everyone's obsessed with AR 10 these days and plays by reaction instead of reading. If this is the case for you, stop, rewind, learn AR and OD 8/9 first. Properly. If that is not the case then move on.

If you find it hard to read maps, you should try to play some AR 8 maps and Skystar/fanzhen maps if you want to improve reading. Yes, people hate them. Yes, they're hard to read. That's the point.

Worse comes to worst, go into the editor and check out the order of the notes and how they're placed. I'm guessing you're not timing properly because you're unsure of when the note should be hit.

(Note) Maps don't have even difficulty throughout, they have difficulty spikes. Usually an [Insane] will usually have a couple "busy" parts to make you drop combo/accuracy, and the rest is straightforward. All you gotta do is work out these tough spots (you can try in editor) and you're good to go.

Edit: Forgot to add. Playing higher BPM is quite different from low BPM, they're usually mapped a bit differently.
nrl

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

you don't know anything.
You don't know anything. Alternation might take a bit of work to get used to, but past that point it's no more difficult to read with than single tapping. I can alternate maps as dense as Scarlet Rose just fine, and I've only been alternating for something like 4k plays.

nooblet wrote:

Playing higher BPM is quite different from low BPM, they're usually mapped a bit differently.
Some high BPM maps are mapped in double time, such as Scarlet Rose, but there are plenty of maps in the low to mid 200s that are not. The former plays much differently than your average Insane, but the latter is simply much faster.

As for the OP, unfortunately a lot of it is just going to come down to practice. You really don't have that many plays under your belt, and another few thousand will certainly make a world of difference for your reading. I don't use any particular method to break down complex maps as far as I'm aware, just intuition, and I wouldn't be surprised if most other players are the same way. As for things you can do to improve, nooblet's suggestions are all good ones, but whether reading dense skystar maps or AR8s would help you depends on what you're specifically struggling with. If it's the breaking down of hitcircle clusters into patterns, skystars would help. If it's bad queue memory, low AR would help. If you just can't keep up with the speed, high BPM alternation maps like Scarlet Rose would help. I would also suggest streamlining your skin a bit if possible. Even something as simple as adjusting your opacities can make a world of difference, and if you'd like some feedback on your skin feel free to post it.

Also, the intro to Scarlet Rose is probably the easiest part of the map to read, and FREEDMAN's insane diff isn't anywhere near what I would call dense. If these two are giving you trouble, alternation might not be a bad skill to pick up.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

You don't know anything
takes one to know one nyerk
AegisFTW
Play moreharder.

Go back to like AR 8 and/or play a bunch of AR9 maps. I know how you felt with these maps and they did feel kinda cluttered, eventually though I got over that. Snapping and playing high BPMs helped a lot for me at least.

And you guys took Bassist Vinyl bait, again.
EcksDee

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Do you alternate?
if you do, stop
Stop posting

glad you got a huge boner for 1412 and you wanna emulate him in everything (especially his stance on alternating) but nigga just be your own man
Vuelo Eluko

EcksDee wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Do you alternate?
if you do, stop
Stop posting
no u
EcksDee

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

no u
Are you drunk or something? You're not usually THIS bad at posting
buny
Judging from your previous scores, I'd say you'd need to work on playing general insane maps rather than move to something much more advanced.

You're getting B's on 3 star difficulty and you want to move to 4 stars, that's a bit of a leap don't you think?
Karuta-_old_1
For busy maps, you are not timing properly because you got confused by circles appearing too soon one after another

The only way to time properly is to not lose focus on the circle you are going to hit and be fast enough to hit the next circle

And don't mash randomly
Fahe
I suggest trying different mappers as well, I don't know how many maps you have but I found that pressing F2 and just playing the map is a good way to getting used to different mapping styles, and thus reading different things.

Recently I got a crush on several tutuhaha maps, most of them fitting the "busy" type of maps as you call it. Here's a few of them, if it can help :D

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/189229 remake diff here
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/145669 insane might be a bit easy, but dance might be a bit hard
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/334115 The three insanes of this one, kyversible < extra = angelhoney's extra
lovelace
Hm. Personally, I'd suggest playing maps of similar AR. By playing a variety, you learn to pick up something instinctively, so you no longer have to actually 'read' the notes, it's mainly down to muscle memory, and overall hand-eye co-ordination. Other than that, you could give HD a go. It helps me at times c:
show more