forum

Stuck in a gap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Osuology
I am currently at a point where Hard songs are easy/normal for me, but Insane is not possible to beat. What do I do? Osu takes away pp if I get a pb on hard, so how am I supposed to do anything now?
AegisFTW
First before I say anything, you should probably know that you should REALLY not care about PP right now, seriously, I can't understand why people care about their increasing their pp some much like it's their own pp in real life, especially when they are in low LOW ranks.

Anyways. I had the same problem you, except with normal and hard songs, the gap felt immense to me. I suggest you download a bunch of insane maps and hard maps. Play them all, play insanes and hards that you can barely play. If you want something more in depth, ask yourself, what is preventing you from playing these insanes? Is it hit circle size? Is it the AR(Approach rate of circle)? Is it the BPM? Is it the jumps? The streams? You being lazy and not just playing enough? If you find out what is holding you back you can just google the damn topic "How do I git gud on X in osu."
Topic Starter
Osuology

AegisFTW wrote:

First before I say anything, you should probably know that you should REALLY not care about PP right now, seriously, I can't understand why care about their increasing their pp some much like it's their own pp, especially when they are in low LOW ranks.

Anyways. I had the same problem you, except with normal and hard songs, the gap felt immense to me. I suggest you download a bunch of insane maps and hard maps. Play them all, play insanes and hards that you can barely play. If you want something more in depth, ask yourself, what is preventing you from playing these insanes? Is it hit circle size? Is it the AR(Approach rate of circle)? Is it the BPM? Is it the jumps? The streams? You being lazy and not just playing enough? If you find out what is holding you back you can just google the damn topic "How do I git gud on X in osu."
Well first of all, some songs it is just the ar, sometimes the streams and jumps, and the mind confusing beatmaps, that I cannot beat. I will try you advise though, downloading bunch of diffrent maps and playing them. Thank you!
Varetyr
"Insane" regroups a wide range of skills, sometimes it will be quite simple, sometimes you probably will struggle to even beat the "Hard" diff, etc.

Basically, download more maps & have fun

(edit : meh, ninja'd, I shouldn't watch anime while answering in forums)
GhostFrog
You can't lose pp unless you get a higher score on a map that the pp system considers "worse" than your old play on that map. When you play a map, it forces your rank to update and your rank (i.e. your placement compared to other players) gets worse while you're not playing because other people pass you. Don't worry about losing pp from bad plays. Then again, you could have found that out from reading any of the other 1000 threads on that topic in G&R.

As for going from x difficulty to y difficulty, you also could have found that out from reading any of the other 1000 threads on that topic in G&R. Have you tried either the forum search feature or just looking at the first couple of pages of G&R? You could have easily found everything you were looking for without making a new thread.
DeletedUser_4041880

GhostFrog wrote:

You can't lose pp unless you get a higher score on a map that the pp system considers "worse" than your old play on that map
Basically if you get a higher score than your old one but with worse accuracy, you lose PP.
Oskur
Don't care about pp or rank until you can play Insanes; get your basic functions down with norms/hards then fine tune your playing as you get through insanes.
Blueprint
Just have fun play any maps you find fun, play crazy maps when you reach insane convert to an ar 10 hooligan,
Anyway if you just want to get better we are capable of doing this, there is solid repetitive ways of improving, the most boring way you can possibly think of improving is probably the correct fastest method, 1 day a magical girl will visit you and you will feel as though your skill just took steroids and this could last for hours days weeks months? And then you will come to a halt until you are once again visited by a mahou shoujo << japanese this is the time when you channel your inner asian and become a god
Ichi
Get out of the comfort zone. Start playing a bunch of insane maps which aren´t too far from your level but some which you still struggle to pass. Use NO FAIL if you need to, moderately.

Above all have fun and push yourself. GL
GoldenWolf

Ichi wrote:

Get out of the comfort zone. Start playing a bunch of insane maps which aren´t too far from your level but some which you still struggle to pass. Use NO FAIL if you need to, moderately.

Above all have fun and push yourself. GL
I wouldn't recommend using nofail when trying to improve though
If you have to use nofail to pass a map, then that map is likely too hard for you and won't make you improve (unless you fail at one specific part that happens to be a difficulty spike, but then it's not a map that will make you improve anyway)
Illus

GoldenWolf wrote:

I wouldn't recommend using nofail when trying to improve though
If you have to use nofail to pass a map, then that map is likely too hard for you and won't make you improve (unless you fail at one specific part that happens to be a difficulty spike, but then it's not a map that will make you improve anyway)
I've used NoFail quite a lot back in the days when I started Insanes and I still turned out fine (I guess). I get why people recommend not to use NoFail too often, but I think it's often exaggerated.
That being said, I too would recommend NoFail as long as you get what's on the map. Especially when the AR is too high for you to pass, but still fine to follow, you should use it in my opinion. There's not really another way of learning higher AR than you're used to.

Oh, and as the others said, don't care about pp too much. Skill -> pp, but pp -/> skill.
TheVileOne
Add HardRock or DoubleTime to Hard modes. Enjoy.
Vuelo Eluko

TheVileOne wrote:

Add HardRock or DoubleTime to Hard modes. Enjoy.
probably much harder than most easier insanes
Akali
There are enough hard hards and sane insanes to make a smooth transition, just download loads of maps.

Harder hards are hard to find though, since most people (understandably) seem to not care when mapping them. But there are exceptions like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/65853 which is basically light insane or maybe https://osu.ppy.sh/s/38316
Topic Starter
Osuology
Thanks all! You helped a lot! Thanks for all the diffrent ideas!
brendanuhs
dont go by names. go by difficulty rating.