forum

Anyone have any tips for reducing distractions?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
otoed1
Personally, I already disable video, use a fairly unintrusive skin, and black out the background on beatmaps, does anyone have any tips for reducing distractions? I find that my sweaty hands are supper irritating and I find my self being constantly distracted by combo numbers, hp, and score/ accuracy. Are there any ways for me to disable these?
Bonsai
Personally I'd say you should get used to it, but I guess this skin might help you
Topic Starter
otoed1

Pwnsai wrote:

Personally I'd say you should get used to it, but I guess this skin might help you
I'll take a look at this skin, the main issue is when I look at combo and stuff it gets stressful for no apparent reason.
winber1
concentrate
Topic Starter
otoed1

winber1 wrote:

concentrate
If you're going to post i'd prefer it if it were something useful, I was effectively asking for ways to improve concentration. When you say "concentrate" Why don't you elaborate?
Coffee Hero
don't look at your accuracy or how long you have left in the song and instead look at the circles and listen to the music. That is literally all you can do.
xasuma
Many skins have no combo count,no score, no acc. Percentage, no hp bar. Try one of those,or delete them off of your skin.
Illus

xasuma wrote:

Many skins have no combo count,no score, no acc. Percentage, no hp bar. Try one of those,or delete them off of your skin.
Even if you do this, you'll get a feeling for playing perfectly or not and get anxious anyway.

Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to it somehow. A good way might be taking on some relatively easy maps and having a high combo really often by doing this. That will still not reduce your anxiety when almost FCing really hard maps, but that's how it always goes. Another way might be getting so good in the game that you feel confident. It kinda would be the opposite approach.

In the end, there's nothing really effective you can do.
jesse1412
This will not help.
Xyrax Alaria

otoed1 wrote:

Pwnsai wrote:

I'll take a look at this skin, the main issue is when I look at combo and stuff it gets stressful for no apparent reason.
Literally happens to everyone and always will. Still happens to me, and I'm sure it happens to most other people. Ya slowly get over it though. Just starts to get stressful at higher numbers. lmao.
Weed
focus on hitting in the center of the circle on every single note
winber1
concentrate
piruchan

winber1 wrote:

concentrate

winber1 wrote:

concentrate
Concentrate at the circles or your cursor.

You can always disable those things you mentioned, just read a little here to see which .png you need to make transparent.
dung eater
I find having that stuff on makes is easier to focus on circles. It's inside your head, to remove distractions just remove them. You know best what distracts you.
Purple
I use invisible skin elements myself to minimize distractions, but you're probably too innexperienced to use it and be able to know your accuracy as you play.
Yakuyan
I have the invisible 300 combo and it helps a lot. Other than that.....my skin is filled with shit. Best way to not get distracted in a game filled with distractions is to say "fuck it" and just go. You get used to it over time. :D
peppy
removing distractions are an excuse for sucking at the game. give any try pro a vanilla copy of osu! and they will perform as well as with any "pro" skin.
winber1

peppy wrote:

removing distractions are an excuse for sucking at the game. give any try pro a vanilla copy of osu! and they will perform as well as with any "pro" skin.
concentrate
Ayesha Altugle

winber1 wrote:

concentrate

Use 1x1 Transparent Element on every unnecessary part

Fakeban

http://puu.sh/94bdT.zip

^here, copy and rename files to another skin element
jesse1412

peppy wrote:

You are correct really, the new skin isn't even THAT cluttered anymore. A lot of players would probably still like less visible 300's though. If I had to review the skin from a playability prospective I'd say there are only a few changes that'd really help. Less cluttered follow point animations and slightly transparent hitcircles, a DISTINCT color for 300's that is easily distinguished from 100's/50's or no 300's/VERY small 300's.

I'll explain each: Follow point animations are currently cluttered it's really quite self explanatory. Transparent hitcircles are a must for reading complex stacks and overlaps. Knowing whether a hit was a 300 just makes the players life 5 times easier; more specifically knowing that it wasn't a 300.
B1rd
IMHO;

no matter what you do you will always find something distracting if you're of that disposition. Just play normally, with BG dim less than 100% and a normal skin, and just learn to be calm and not be distracted.
Bauxe
How do people get distracted anyway with a dimmed background? If you are more interested in your HP bar than a circle appearing, maybe move on to another game.
Ichi

winber1 wrote:

concentrate
Well for starters your question doesn´t leave much space for elaboration, so don´t complain. There are no tips for reducing distractions other than removing most elements of the screen that bother you. Anyway you could leave everything transparent, and when something happens outside of the screen that makes you lose focus, you will lose your combo. The point is you should really try to focus on the circles and the beat,nothing else. That is only possible a few times a day, so pick whenever you are trying to get a good score and then focus. And when you are just having fun then relax. Maybe getting a headset could help improving focus and concentration. You could try getting one if you don´t have already.
deletemyaccount
It isn't the actual skin that distracts you, it's you.

If you find that you are missing randomly, practice better aim and concentration. If its a large combo that distracts you, then get large combos until you get used to it.

As for reducing distractions, realistically you could use a somewhat not-flashy skin(I personally recommend "Luminance" t/168372).
Topic Starter
otoed1

peppy wrote:

I disagree, although I do suck at osu!, distractions do hurt my ability to concentrate. It's obviously something I am just going to have to get over, but it seems like it would be easier to read notes if there was less annoying things in my way. You're statement implies that you can easily do just as well on an exam while people are engaging in conversation with you, as when your alone in the world's quietest room.
Topic Starter
otoed1

Bauxe wrote:

How do people get distracted anyway with a dimmed background? If you are more interested in your HP bar than a circle appearing, maybe move on to another game.
It's not really about findng the hp bar more interesting, it's about thinking, am I doing well? And then at that point I just think about looking up, which causes me to screw up. It is a lack of concentration, from distractions. I'm using a skin that makes the hp bar invisible, and I am finding it much easier to play and I generally am doing better. My mind appears to wander incredibly quickly, I constantly wonder "How much time is left in the song" So I disabled the element that shows that as well.

Edit: Best double post NA, I'm a moron
TheVileOne
Some people can do well regardless of noise level of the room. Also you don't need the world's quietest room to ace a test. Playing with default skin is already not distracting as it is. With a dimmed background and storyboard disabled, most people could focus without any issues. You seem to require an above and beyond necessary degree of HUD disabling to play. You're probably distracting yourself and disabling the rest of the HUD wont make any difference.

BTW dimming backgrounds can make other elements of the HUD more noticeable. So you're making these elements more apparent by dimming the background.

Personally I can play most maps as long as there isn't some form of something spinning in the background or rapidly moving across the screen.
Topic Starter
otoed1

TheVileOne wrote:

Some people can do well regardless of noise level of the room. Also you don't need the world's quietest room to ace a test. Playing with default skin is already not distracting as it is. With a dimmed background and storyboard disabled, most people could focus without any issues. You seem to require an above and beyond necessary degree of HUD disabling to play. You're probably distracting yourself and disabling the rest of the HUD wont make any difference.

BTW dimming backgrounds can make other elements of the HUD more noticeable. So you're making these elements more apparent by dimming the background.
It's obvious that you don't need the world's quietest room to ace a test, but some people such as myself are easily distracted. However, you make an excellent point about fully dimming the background and I'll definitely stop turning it all the way, i'll probably use 80% or so.
Karuta-_old_1

peppy wrote:

maybe minus the 300 comboburst and smaller 100 and 50 bursts, like one of Uan's skins
show more