forum

Is it worth switching to single tapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Robbieyo
Hi,

I currently alternate and was wondering whether I should consider switching over to single tapping and if so why should I. From what I can see most top players single tap, is there any reason to this or is it simply personal preference?
Will3x
learn both
xasuma
t/211048

doesn't really matter. Humans are creatures of habits, whatever their habits might be.
Mathsma
HAUHAU is probably considered top 10 by most players and he alternates. There are countless other top players who primarily alternate as well. Just pick whatever feels most comfortable for you.
Loves
Alternate and single tapping are the same if you're used to it. I mean SilviA did it and he was probably top 5 at some point before he quit.
A Medic
Do whatever you're comfortable with.
Akali
It's just simpler, it's easier to be somewhat consistent.

Quoting the smartest person who ever walked on this planet and played this game, alternate patterns you can't single tap. Or just alternate all the time if you are comfortable with it. Just remember that single tapping is way more manly.
Blueprint
You can learn both I think the hardest thing is to learn how to single with both,
from doing the above I end up breaking because of finger confusion this has now turned into an annoying bad habit of using my second finger to single
Slith
all has pro's and con's alternate helps you on streams while single tap helps you with rhythm. when i first started i single tapped then after 6 months switched to alternate. it greatly helped me practice DT maps and then switched back to single tapping after 3 months of alternating. now i single tap more consistently then alternating. learn both as mentioned and you'll find what you like
jesse1412
IDK why everyone is so pro "both work". It's quite clear singletapping generally leads to faster improvement. ANYONE can alt but an alter can't 1key well.
Azer
>anyone can alt
mmyes id love to see you ss an od10 alt map and tell me everyone can alt properly

Just pick whatever you're most comfortable with, OP. The more natural method will be the best for you.
jesse1412

Azer wrote:

>anyone can alt
mmyes id love to see you ss an od10 alt map and tell me everyone can alt properly

Just pick whatever you're most comfortable with, OP. The more natural method will be the best for you.
I couldn't SS an od10 map regardless of what I did : (
thelewa
I can SS an OD10 map by alternating
nyrox
I think singletapping has a more steady improvement because you can always be getting faster.
Alternating, at least for me, gave me a quick spike in improvement but now I'm really struggling to gain speed.
f i z i k

thelewa wrote:

But...Bikko can do it better?
Xyrax Alaria
Really up to you. I find I'm more accurate by single tapping but whatever ya want to do if you feel like you're doing fine don't change anything.
nanochannel

f i z i k wrote:

thelewa wrote:

But...Bikko can do it better?
actually he can't anymore because he turned his hand into a paperweight
Azer
i feel bad for laughing at that
Ichi
It´s faster to improve with singletapping, it is really difficult to alternate correctly, and by that i mean that you FULLY alternate, and not just when a bunch of notes come together, and some other times you single. Singletapping is way more consistent and simpler to learn, simplicity is good, specially for your brain to get used to. I personally alternated when i first started, but i realised i was doing singletapping sometimes, so it wasn´t really a good style, i was caught in the middle of both. I´d say go singletap.
EcksDee

Ichi wrote:

It´s faster to improve with singletapping, it is really difficult to alternate correctly, and by that i mean that you FULLY alternate, and not just when a bunch of notes come together, and some other times you single. Singletapping is way more consistent and simpler to learn, simplicity is good, specially for your brain to get used to. I personally alternated when i first started, but i realised i was doing singletapping sometimes, so it wasn´t really a good style, i was caught in the middle of both. I´d say go singletap.
How is singletapping easier to learn though? When you alternate you know the next note will always be your other finger. When you singletap you gotta think about whether you do need to use your other finger or not. Add onto that the fact that alternating streams when you are a singletapping dude is a completely different set of finger movements being used.

Its like such a roundabout way of playing the game I'm legitimately baffled whenever I see people singletap.
RaneFire

EcksDee wrote:

How is singletapping easier to learn though? When you alternate you know the next note will always be your other finger. When you singletap you gotta think about whether you do need to use your other finger or not. Add onto that the fact that alternating streams when you are a singletapping dude is a completely different set of finger movements being used.

Its like such a roundabout way of playing the game I'm legitimately baffled whenever I see people singletap.
How about you switch to single-tapping and give it a serious try to get good at it before saying stuff that makes no sense.
Vuelo Eluko

EcksDee wrote:

Ichi wrote:

on the contrary it takes even less thought to singletap and patterns become easier because it's easier to learn to tap on tempo with one finger than two because you can go at a fairly consisent speed but if you full alternate you have to constantly change your rate of tapping while also holding tempo so it becomes harder to read patterns and be sure of when to tap

i mean ive used both styles altho im not near as good as you this is my way of seeing it.
EcksDee

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

on the contrary it takes even less thought to singletap and patterns become easier because it's easier to learn to tap on tempo with one finger than two because you can go at a fairly consisent speed but if you full alternate you have to constantly change your rate of tapping while also holding tempo so it becomes harder to read patterns and be sure of when to tap

i mean ive used both styles altho im not near as good as you this is my way of seeing it.
None of that is what I'd call difficult though. Like for me, I don't ever think about patterns of notes. I just subconsciously thing "Ok, 3+1+5+3" or whatever, and my fingers do all the work.

I assume it's the same for you. You don't think about when you have to use both fingers and when you only gotta use one, do you?

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

this is EXACTLY why singletapping makes being accurate and holding tempo easier

That makes I think literally less than no sense.
Vuelo Eluko

EcksDee wrote:

You don't think about when you have to use both fingers and when you only gotta use one, do you?
this is EXACTLY why singletapping makes being accurate and holding tempo easier
Especially on maps that quickly transition between 1/4 and 1/2
nrl

EcksDee wrote:

I assume it's the same for you.
It's not.

Single tapping is intuitive because it ties finger movements to musical rhythm. For any given subdivision of the measure you'll prefer your dominant finger, only using your other finger when that subdivision becomes insufficient to fully describe the rhythm to be tapped. This allows rhythmic complexity to be built on top of a very simple, repetitive foundation. Alternating is non-intuitive because it actively disregards musical rhythm in favor of efficiency. You no longer have a simple, repetitive, foundation to start with, and as a result it's very difficult for a player not experienced with alternation to keep any semblance of rhythm.

Maybe you find alternation easier, but the average player does not, and as an experienced musician I can tell you that the concept single tapping is built on is far more prevalent in the music world than true alternation.
EcksDee

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

EcksDee wrote:

I assume it's the same for you.
It's not.

Single tapping is intuitive because it ties finger movements to musical rhythm. For any given subdivision of the measure you'll prefer your dominant finger, only using your other finger when that subdivision becomes insufficient to fully describe the rhythm to be tapped. This allows rhythmic complexity to be built on top of a very simple, repetitive foundation. Alternating is non-intuitive because it actively disregards musical rhythm in favor of efficiency. You no longer have a simple, repetitive, foundation to start with, and as a result it's very difficult for a player not experienced with alternation to keep any semblance of rhythm.

Maybe you find alternation easier, but the average player does not, and as an experienced musician I can tell you that the concept single tapping is built on is far more prevalent in the music world than true alternation.
I started alternating at like 1000 to 2000 plays I believe. After getting used to it, I immediately saw a rise (relatively speaking) in skill and accuracy. I distinctly remember switching between singletapping and alternating on some demetori song on insane. And it just felt more natural.

I might be illiciting some knee jerk reaction by saying osu isnt that much about maintaining a constant rhythm all the time. Osu is more about knowing how much time it takes for the next note to require pressing, including 1/4 1/2 and sometimes that weird 1/6 shite.

Or at least, I don't play it like that, by maintaining some foundational sense of rhythm in my hands.

Tho against an 'experienced musician' im totally out of my depth
Bweh
It's really a matter of personal preference. I started off alternating, picked up single tapping later, now I just switch between both styles (and single tapping fingers) and I've found that I can play comfortably with either, like shifting gears on a bike. Each style helps with different patterns and tempos, though I'm sure it would depend on the player.

If you really want to know what to do, just give every style a try. Single tapping helped me improve my speed, at least.
leepdesu

Will3x wrote:

learn both
show more