forum

Finally been able to do AR10.33 and now...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ichi
Okay guys so here is the thing. Since i started playing osu, 6 months ago, i began playing on my bed. Yes it was a really fucked up setup, i was laying down with my tablet at the side and the keyboard on top of me. To add up i had a 24 inch monitor at about 2 mts away from me. The fact that the tablet was so unstable made my jumps alot less consistent, so i decided to change and play like everyone else.

So now i have gotten my new desktop setup, and it has been four days since i started playing with it and i have to say the improvement has been insane. I went from rank 3020# to 2265# and been getting alot of good scores, my jumps got more consistent and such to the point i could finally pass an ar10.33 map which is this:

I figured i was able to read much higher Ar than before and my theory is that because i had the screen so far away from me, my reaction time was much slower, so suddenly having it close up made my reading much faster and i can read HR and ar10 fairly good in just a couple of days. BUT my problem now is that i can´t read lower ars, like 8 or 9. i always end up missing on one note, going behind or ahead of the notes with the cursor... its like every AR i was used to read just went 1 ahead, and now ar 9 feels like 8, 8 feels like 7 and so on. My question is, should i keep on doing hr and ar 10 or should i first go back and learn the ar8 and 9 almost perfectly like i had before?? In case i push it longer, will it be bad for my performance later on?

So ironic, first i wished to be able to read ar10 and higher and now im asking to go back... but well feels like that is not the way i wanted to build my reading.. so any tips on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks ! 8-)
nrl
Some will say you definitely need to go back and learn at least 9 again, no question. Personally, I don't think the time would be well spent unless sometime down the road you find you've HDHR/HDDT'd every map you can and are left with a handful that you will simply never be able to at least HDHR, and how likely is that? Even the hardest maps have HDHR FCs, and it's only a matter of time for those that don't, so I see no reason to go backwards as long as you can actually read the AR you're playing.
Topic Starter
Ichi
great, i believed that too. Im not saying i wont ever do ar9 again, just wanting to know if i should drop 10 until i master 9 again on new setup.
nooblet

Ichi wrote:

I figured i was able to read much higher Ar than before and my theory is that because i had the screen so far away from me, my reaction time was much slower, so suddenly having it close up made my reading much faster and i can read HR and ar10 fairly good in just a couple of days.
Light speed < Reaction time

You actually got decent accuracy unlike 90% of the other "I can AR 10" threads. If you're gonna keep playing AR10 and you can actually read it, just smack on HR or DT to whatever you're playing. You might not be able to play CS5+HR, but you'll still have a huge selection of songs. Probably start with songs you're really familiar with, just play everything with HR (+NF if necessary).

The reason I usually discourage people from AR 10 is because usually it's from someone who doesn't even know how to play Insane/Extra yet. It's a different matter if you can get a B on OD9 at that speed.
Frostmourne
Getting fc'd that map has become one step closer!
Mathsma
You should really learn how to read normal AR's before moving up to high AR. It's a skill nearly absolutely necessary if you want to play in the OWC (if that is your goal); limiting yourself to just high AR leads to a whack-a-mole play style that is detrimental because it creates a visual play style rather than a rhythm based play style which in turn leads to bad accuracy generally, and if you play too much high AR and do not practice normal AR often you may begin to press based on high AR approach circle timings rather than the music which when playing a normal AR map can lead to early presses.

Learning a lower approach rate is much, much harder than learning a higher approach rate. You want to make sure that you have absolutely mastered the basics of this game before moving on to advanced play. This was a mistake I made early on in the game and it made me waste months of potential progress just to relearn how to play normal AR. Even to this day I still have issues. The same mistake can happen when playing maps that are too fast for you. If you play maps that are too fast you may begin to mash through streams and/or complex patterns that you cannot do which will lead to bad accuracy and very frequent mashing on songs that you could normally do well. This happaned/is happening to my friend.
Rewben2
Learning ar9 is an important skill if you care about being a well-rounded player. If you want to compete in multi-rooms, the OWC, set nomod scores then yeah, ar9 is a must.
Topic Starter
Ichi
Yes my main concern was actually being able to play in the OWC and such in the future so I'm definetly learning low ar but I'm not gonna drop with 10. I'm just so tempted to spam it all the time, it's too fun... Probably will stick to alternating one high ar map with a lower one, see if it works. Thanks for the advice guys
Vuelo Eluko
9 isnt 'low'
Oberyn_old
AR9 isnt low and is necessary to be mastered at first place, imo.
Go learn it, wtf
GoldenWolf

Ichi wrote:

I figured i was able to read much higher Ar than before and my theory is that because i had the screen so far away from me, my reaction time was much slower, so suddenly having it close up made my reading much faster and i can read HR and ar10 fairly good in just a couple of days.
wtf?
winber1

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ichi wrote:

wtf?
he has Ph. D in logic

don't hate
nrl
People don't seem to get that as long as you can actually read it there's absolutely no problem focusing on ar10. It isn't going to destroy your reading unless you're mashing, and any ar will destroy your reading if you're mashing. The OWC point is the only valid one.
Saint_old

Mathsma wrote:

Learning a lower approach rate is much, much harder than learning a higher approach rate.
yeah because a sightread fc with easy is definitively harder than a sightread fc on ar11...
Akali
it was a really fucked up setup, i was laying down with my tablet at the side and the keyboard on top of me.
hot
Topic Starter
Ichi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ichi wrote:

wtf?
not that hard to think actually, having the screen far away makes you lose focus and reaction time, but at the same time it gives you a wider vision of what`s going on so you can handle many circles appearing at the screen (lower ar). And please before you post take a look at some of my scores... i can/could fc with 98% most ar9 maps first try... so yes i knew how to ar9, and i do realise it isn`t low. what im pointing out is that now im failing to do that, and im playing lower ars (than 10) less because they seem to slow. Anyway i`ve got a clearer idea now, thanks.
Vuelo Eluko

nooblet wrote:

Ichi wrote:

Light speed < Reaction time

You actually got decent accuracy unlike 90% of the other "I can AR 10" threads. If you're gonna keep playing AR10 and you can actually read it, just smack on HR or DT to whatever you're playing. You might not be able to play CS5+HR, but you'll still have a huge selection of songs. Probably start with songs you're really familiar with, just play everything with HR (+NF if necessary).

The reason I usually discourage people from AR 10 is because usually it's from someone who doesn't even know how to play Insane/Extra yet. It's a different matter if you can get a B on OD9 at that speed.
but his play was 10.3 which is way harder than ar10

10 = i can do this
10.3 = idk whats happening at all
EcksDee

Ichi wrote:

Ichi wrote:

not that hard to think actually, having the screen far away makes you lose focus and reaction time, but at the same time it gives you a wider vision of what`s going on so you can handle many circles appearing at the screen (lower ar). And please before you post take a look at some of my scores... i can/could fc with 98% most ar9 maps first try... so yes i knew how to ar9, and i do realise it isn`t low. what im pointing out is that now im failing to do that, and im playing lower ars (than 10) less because they seem to slow. Anyway i`ve got a clearer idea now, thanks.
This is most likely no more than a placebo. I've switched setups multiple times between a 32 inch screen close and far and a 19 inch screen close and far and I didn't see any difference in anything after getting used to it (which took like 5 songs).

Not being able to read AR 9 is a huge, huge, huge weakness btw. Practice it more.
Really AR8 and 11 can go fuck themselves everywhere, right, but 9, 10 and 10.3 up higher are necessary.
Topic Starter
Ichi
could be, i still don´t know why this happens to me tho. i can play 8 fine now. The problem is 9 with weird patterns, and missing random jumps.
Zare

Ichi wrote:

6 months ago

Ichi wrote:

AR10.33 pass
The envy.
Asagi

Zare wrote:

Ichi wrote:

6 months ago

Ichi wrote:

AR10.33 pass
The envy.
how2improvefast
B1rd
just a noob question, what is a 10.33? is it AR9+DT?
Rewben2

B1rd wrote:

just a noob question, what is a 10.33? is it AR9+DT?
Yes
Pettanko
dont bother learning ar9 just slap on HR on everything and be pr0