forum

About mouse settings

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raniemi
Is it better to have your mouse at 6000 dpi with 3/11 or 1600 dpi with 6/11. They both feel like the same to me but sometimes I see people saying that it's better to play with lower dpi and at some other places, people say that higher dpi is more accurate?

Edit : What does raw input do? Should I use it?
Volcanism
1600 6/11
Topic Starter
Raniemi

Volcanism wrote:

1600 6/11
Can you tell me why that is better?
Pacze
With mouse acceleration off...
Windows sensitivy makes your cursor to skip certain pixels.
Sensitivy 6/11 gives no multiply to your cursor movement, 6/11 is 1x. That's why we call 6/11 the "default" speed.

Then, if you move your mouse 1 cm to the left, the cursor will move (FOR EXAMPLE) 1 pixel to the left.
On the other hand, 8/11 gives a 2x multiplier to your cursor movement. Now, if you move the mouse 1 cm to the left, the cursor will move 2 pixels instead of one. (So, your cursor moved from a Pixel A, to a pixel A+2, and you were unable to reach the pixel A+1)

In speed, 1000 dpi with 6/11 is exactly the same than 500 dpi with 8/11, except cause the second option makes you skip pixels.
A way to prove the pixel skipping, is to set the windows speed to 11/11 and then try to make smooth drainings at paint, u won't be able, as 11/11 gives 3,5 multiplier, u'll be draining things like you were an Atari model designer. (some programs can tell you when you have pixel skipping, too, as they give you the information about distance traveled by mouse vs distance traveled by cursor)

Pixel skipping is not a big problem (there are ways to prove this) but, if you want your mouse movement to be as precise as possible, u may want to keep ur windows speed at 6/11, and use ur dpi to change mouse speed instead.
Topic Starter
Raniemi

Pacze wrote:

Sensitivy 6/11 gives no multiply to your cursor movement, 6/11 is 1x. That's why we call 6/11 the "default" speed.

Then, if you move your mouse 1 cm to the left, the cursor will move (FOR EXAMPLE) 1 pixel to the left.
On the other hand, 8/11 gives a 2x multiplier to your cursor movement. Now, if you move the mouse 1 cm to the left, the cursor will move 2 pixels instead of one. (So, your cursor moved from a Pixel A, to a pixel A+2, and you were unable to reach the pixel A+1)

In speed, 1000 dpi with 6/11 is exactly the same than 500 dpi with 8/11, except cause the second option makes you skip pixels.
A way to prove the pixel skipping, is to set the windows speed to 11/11 and then try to make smooth drainings at paint, u won't be able, as 11/11 gives 3,5 multiplier, u'll be draining things like you were an Atari model designer. (some programs can tell you when you have pixel skipping, too, as they give you the information about distance traveled by mouse vs distance traveled by cursor)

Pixel skipping is not a big problem (there are ways to prove this) but, if you want your mouse movement to be as precise as possible, u may want to keep ur windows speed at 6/11, and use ur dpi to change mouse speed instead.
Does putting my windows speed at 3/11 and setting the dpi really high give a more precise mouse movement?
uzzi

Raniemi wrote:

Pacze wrote:

Does putting my windows speed at 3/11 and setting the dpi really high give a more precise mouse movement?
Don't think so. If the principle that any number higher than 6/11 causes pixel skipping, than I assume having anything lower may produce the opposite effect.
Topic Starter
Raniemi
Would like an answer to that too without making another post :P
Blueprint
Raw input ignores acceleration basically
Topic Starter
Raniemi

Blueprint wrote:

Raw input ignores acceleration basically
So it does nothing if I'm not using acceleration?
Blueprint
if you have aceleration or adjusted your sensitivity via control panel or osu it will ignore those and will only have dpi of your mouse.
Try fiddling with your settings and then activate raw input after
B1rd
Just have 6/11+ raw input, and 1600dpi, only use mouse dpi to change sensitivity. It will be very precise.
shavit
Don't listen to all those hipsters saying 1600DPI
Go with 400/800 so your cursor won't be flying all over the screen and that you'd actually hit circles.

Small mousepad - 800
Large mousepad - 400
B1rd
lol. We said 1600 dpi because that was on of the choices OP suggested...

and, it depends what res, bus 1600dpi isn't even high. you don't need to play at super low 400 dpi to be successful, plenty of good players play higher.
Topic Starter
Raniemi
I'm using fullscreen 1920x1080. I just feel like anything under 1600 dpi is too slow
RaneFire
I started on 1600 dpi, but I wasn't there for more than a few weeks before setting it down to 800.

Raw input will ignore any windows mouse pointer settings whatsoever. Having your pointer speed at 6/11 (default) will feel the same as raw input provided you turn off acceleration. You should use raw input regardless of that. It's superior even if the difference is very small. It's a tad more responsive too.

3/11 and high DPI does not improve your precision. If anything it encumbers it, but explaining how is quite difficult, since windows stores remainders. Some CS pro explained it very well but I can't really remember what he said... oh well... I guess the point is that maths says it should work correctly, but when you include human factors like moving in arcs and adjusting your aim "on the spot" multi-directionally, it doesn't give you a proper linear reproduction of movement.
Topic Starter
Raniemi
Thanks for the responses everyone