forum

Flashlight tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
padawan3201
Does the Flashlight mod get darker the more combo you have?

I cant FC this one song with flashlight but when i have an early break the part i awlays fail is easy. It just seems to be darker when i have a higher combo
Ichi
Yes it does get darker the more combo you get.. i don´t have a clue how to play with it nor i care either, so i don´t know any tips for it :P i believe it is just practice until you get used to the map and predicting where the circle/slider is going to be.
Topic Starter
padawan3201
OK no more flashlight for me i just FCd it after about 100 trys and it was worse than the HD HR DT SS ... #notworth
Granger
There no tipps for FL. FL just tests your ability to memorize the map.
If you're not able to play a map with FL well then all you can do is playing the map without FL untill you know where the hitcircles are, not just notice where they apppear and react.
Kouya-
Try memorizing the positions and where the hit circles would appear to be at, it's probably the best thing to do when you play with FL .

Otherwise, you'll fail pretty bad . (I suck so bad when I play with FL ;-; )
Valdyr
The darkness becomes bigger twice. First at 100 combo, and then at 200. If the combo is broken, the vision is restored as it was at the beginning of the song.
TheVileOne
The combo trail makes flashlight a lot simpler to play I have noticed. Use it to your advantage whenever possible.
Akali
The only tip I know is making practice diffs. Delete first 100 and 200 combo worth of notes and put 100/200 combo return slider (shorter one, so it repeats faster - brrrrrrrrrrt) and practice on that. Just grinding map with FL will result with you missing and FL radius resetting, which might make you feel that you memorized the map past 100/200 combo when in fact your gameplay is still reactive. (Of course you kinda want to see that part with bigger radius/no mod first so you actually know where the notes are.)
Pacze
Yeah... from a point it is impossible to play responsively, and you have to know all map's notes. But as what I've seen from some god FL player replays (I suck at it lol), they move the cursor faster between notes, that gives them some earlier vision of what's next.
They also move the cursor to the limit of the ball-following circle on the sliders, following it by the middle would make you lose some useful vision.

All the previously said is, anyways, to make the responsive part of the map longer, cause you'll still need to memorize the remaining part.
silmarilen
memorize patterns, not single notes. after pattern 1 you have to move your mouse to position x and then comes pattern 2, after the last note of pattern 2 you move to position y and start pattern 3 and so on.
i personally always play like this
SS nomod
SS hd
by now you'll already have a decent feel of how the map plays (unless the map was super easy, but then you can probably do pretty well on flashlight aswell)
start playing with FL
if you break combo, keep playing. retrying instantly has no use because you'll have to memorize the whole map in the end anyway. even if you can see more of the field with a lower combo it still kind of helps.

patience is the most important thing about flashlight. dont get upset when you missed a note at your 50th retry. dont get upset if you miss the same note at your 100th retry. the more you get upset the worse you will play. if you cant keep your cool flashlight is not for you.
Downsy
q
GoldenWolf

Joshay wrote:

When I play FL, I watch the autobot play the map multiple times so I can remember where to go, and then I go in and FC it.
That can't works with anything above [Hard] or even [Normal]
winber1
the most important tip when playing flashlight is

don't play flashlight
Shimatora
The flashlight radius gets smaller at 100 and 200 combo, with the latter being the smallest. It does not decrease any more than this.

USE COMBO TRAILS, it's the most useful thing in the world. For FLing Easy and Normal maps, you can pretty much FC blind unless the next combo starts on the opposite side of the screen somewhere. I've blind FC'd a fair amount of Easy and the Easier Normals, the harder are the ones where combos start farther away from where the last combo ended.

Work your way up to higher combo maps. Start by just doing maps with under 200 total combo. After that, try doing up to 250, and so on. This is what I did - I can now FC 1,000+ combo Easy maps with relative ease.
Granger

winber1 wrote:

don't play flashlight
I dissagree, if you're able to memorize well, then FL is very benefitable for your scores and pp.
winber1

Granger wrote:

winber1 wrote:

don't play flashlight
I dissagree, if you're able to memorize well, then FL is very benefitable for your scores and pp.
bby pls

bby don't hurt me
nooblet

winber1 wrote:

don't play flashlight
DragonSlayer96
As a FL user myself, I have this little thing to say (I do play CtB primarily though)

FL isn't as hard as you guys make it out to be (HD is so much harder in my opinion). If the map itself isn't hard for me to beat no-mods (I can play AR8, but AR7 is highest for mods right now), I normally takes me around 10 or so tries. for lower AR (maybe 5 and under) maps, I can fc the song in a couple of tries even with HR on.

But a few tips that I have for you is to memorize where the note is after a spinner so you can get to it and not miss. Same thing goes for breaks and long pauses in the map. Listen to the song a time or two before and pay close attention to the beat seeing that many songs follow that (makes it easier to expect jumps after you hit 200 so less retries). There are quite a few more you can use, but it wouldn't be as fun as if you learn them on your own.
B1rd
I don't get how you can play flashlight without memorising that song first since you're basically blind.. I guess it's fun for getting high-scores on you're favourite song that you've played a bunch.
DragonSlayer96
It's not that hard. Lower AR maps flow fairly smoothly and generally easy to read even with the restriction of view. For higher AR maps, it's just memorizing where the breaks in the smooth flow is. I'm not saying things like Airman, Freedom Dive and The Big Black are things that are easily FL. I know FL is just a mod that some people can play and others can't though. Like for me, I can't do HD and I think that is the hardest mod of them all. Others will say HD is the easiest and won't understand why I can't do HD.
TheVileOne
It is easy, because each combo has a trail linking to the next object. You will only need to know where the starts of combos are to FC the map. If there aren't any guessing moments, then you can easily FC the map. It doesn't help when the notes are so close together in the timeline that you can't see the trail or require a fast reaction time. you will need to do some memorization for those types of maps.
Topic Starter
padawan3201
[quote="DragonSlayer96"]
FL isn't as hard as you guys make it out to be (HD is so much harder in my opinion).

Hidden is harder? for me Hidden is the easiest thing in the world i often play new maps with hidden the first time just because i think reading is easier with Hidden there is less stuff on the screen and you just see better. FL makes me just feel awkward
DragonSlayer96
Like I said in my last post padawan3201, there are a lot of people who are confused on why I say and can't do HD. To me, it's just extremely hard (just to fc a map with just HD in takes me a minimum of 30 tries currently) and I would either spend the time it would take me to fc a map with HD to fc multiple maps with FL or double/triple mod said map (for my most played map, roughly 100 of my plays were just me trying to fc the song, all mods......because HD is so epically hard for me). But just like HR and DT, some people find those almost impossible while others it comes naturally to them. It all just boils down to personal preference and how you read the map. How I tend to read them just makes HD hard to do, that's all. But I'm rambling and going off topic.

TheVileOne actually pointed out one of the things I also use to FL and I use myself. Follow the trails and you should find yourself fc many more maps.
CXu

silmarilen wrote:

if you break combo, keep playing. retrying instantly has no use because you'll have to memorize the whole map in the end anyway. even if you can see more of the field with a lower combo it still kind of helps.
^This. It'll make your muscle memory accustomed to where the note is placed exactly, and all you need to remember is approximately where the note is, and your hand does the rest. And muscle memory learns from repetition.
iWhorse

Granger wrote:

winber1 wrote:

don't play flashlight

FL is partially sightreadable, it's not as much memorization as you think

anyways, combo darkens once at 100 combo and again at 200 combo, to answer your question
silmarilen

iWhorse wrote:

Granger wrote:

FL is partially sightreadable, it's not as much memorization as you think

anyways, combo darkens once at 100 combo and again at 200 combo, to answer your question
only on easy maps
on harder maps you just dont have the time to check the field where the next note is going to be (follow points alone isnt enough), unless you can read like ar11.
Xyrax Alaria
You want a tip?
Don't.
winber1
why
Rewben2

winber1 wrote:

why
because fl is for n00bs
XK2238

Granger wrote:

winber1 wrote:

don't play flashlight
I dissagree, if you're able to memorize well, then FL is very benefitable for your scores yes and pp why even bother.

silmarilen wrote:

patience is the most important thing about flashlight. dont get upset when you missed a note at your 50th retry. dont get upset if you miss the same note at your 100th retry. the more you get upset the worse you will play. if you cant keep your cool flashlight is not for you.
best