forum

How do you get good at OSU???

posted
Total Posts
show more
dragonoidso
Try different modes.
I'm good at osumania, but not so good in Osu. 8-)
AutoMedic
Play alot.

Thats it.

Dont give up :)
Nub1
you're same as me when I'm first arrived here, just practice more, play more, and I should say the osu standard is the most fun and challenging mode rather than the others (but well that's your choice)
tiper
piruchan

tiper wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk
Tekklorn
This probably should've been put in the gameplay and rankings part of the forums but oh well

As for the OP's question, issues like what key to use / hand placement etc will just fix themselves over time. As you play more you'll just either adjust to the way you currently play now and make that your way of playing or you'll be curious and experiment with other keys to see if they're more comfortable or not. As an example I started using my mouse buttons, then switched to keyboard Z and X, then to 3 and 4 and now I've settled on E and R for a while.

EDIT: On a side note, if you're curious what other people use for their keys, search it up. I remember there being a thread asking people what keys they used and it got a fair few replies.
Stefan
I just wonder why people capitalize osu! completely while it is written in lower case. Even the official icon of osu! is not capitalized.
Kouya-
Don't give up .

Practice makes perfect ^~^
Tekklorn

Stefan wrote:

I just wonder why people capitalize osu! completely while it is written in lower case. Even the official icon of osu! is not capitalized.
They're clearly referring to Ohio State University
Witch Mercy

Tekklorn wrote:

Stefan wrote:

They're clearly referring to Ohio State University
Ohio State University Cheerleading Squad!
*summons dkun*
Oberyn_old
>get good
hahaha
someone still believes its possible
no.
iRish_Cadence
Well, we're somehow the same in discovering this game. I sucked at first too. Just keep playing a lot until you can play all difficulties of every beatmap ;)
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
But nobody answered one of my most important questions... Why do you use two keys as opposed to one in osu????
Tekklorn

DJ_Richard wrote:

But nobody answered one of my most important questions... Why do you use two keys as opposed to one in osu????
Faster streaming speed, using 2 fingers to click 2 buttons = more presses than using 1 finger to press 1 button.
Oberyn_old

DJ_Richard wrote:

because two > one
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
I just can't get the hang of playing.. It's not that my reaction time is bad, it's like when you have to press twice and the second press is a long note that it just doesn't register.. like (1)(2)-------()

Furthermore, I almost feel like alternating keys is harder.. But maybe it's just because I'm a nub. osu! mania has so many less nuisances. Press a key on time and that's it lol.
uzzi
By not spelling it with all caps
Nub1

DJ_Richard wrote:

I just can't get the hang of playing.. It's not that my reaction time is bad, it's like when you have to press twice and the second press is a long note that it just doesn't register.. like (1)(2)-------()

Furthermore, I almost feel like alternating keys is harder.. But maybe it's just because I'm a nub. osu! mania has so many less nuisances. Press a key on time and that's it lol.
at first I said that too but you can't handle streams with one key so like it or not you should learn alternating

there are only 2 choices, first single tapping but use alternate if there's a stream or always do alternating
kirueggy
As for getting better at osu!, there's only one true way to get good at it; or anything, really.

It's to keep on playing it over and over.
Tekklorn
38 playcount on osu standard, why are you even so concerned about how bad you're doing? Doesn't take a genius to know you'll be terrible until you've actually spent some time on the game.
GenoClysm

DJ_Richard wrote:

This isin't a question worth asking
You want to be good? Use two keys. As you progress you'll eventually hit a point where you will completley stop progressing becuase you didnt know how to alternate.
harder maps REQUIRE the use of two keys, i wish you the best of luck playing any maps with streams or lots of objects in general(scarlet rose)
You don't want to? that's fine, just be prepared to suddenly find you can't do shit later on.

That being said, you shouldn't be remotely concerned with how you're doing. You have an extremely low playcount and you are FAR from your skill wall.
If you've been playing consistantly for a few months, have a few thousand plays and can't continue progressing, being concerned with your playstyle or ability improve is understandable

if you've given the gamemode a solid hour and you're already concerned about becoming next cookiezi, you'll be giving your farewell in two weeks. This game requires an incredible amount of dedication and time, and it's all practice. the more you try to rush it, the sooner you'll leave.
DahplA

tiper wrote:

This.
AutoMedic

DahplA wrote:

tiper wrote:

This.
Thanks captain obvious
A Medic
Just keep on playing and you will get better.
Kouya-
Hmm, I don't know . . .

I've never went to Ohio State University before .
TheNekoNextDoor
How do you get good at it?
Practice, practice, practice!
Don't give up - you will get better at some point.
naliem
Just play and play and play and play. This is the key of all.
MrBakpao
first you must improve at stamina, practice stream more faster (y)
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
But my improvement rate for osu! mania was sooooo much faster than my improvement rate for osu standard. Pretty frustrating...
DeletedUser_4041880
Did you only make this thread to complain? People did actually try to help you but you're all like "OMG IT'S TOO HARD I CAN'T DO THIS QQQQQ". Suck it up and play only standard mode for a week. Don't you dare touch mania in that timeframe
Sylveon

DJ_Richard wrote:

But my improvement rate for osu! mania was sooooo much faster than my improvement rate for osu standard. Pretty frustrating...
your play count is 480... in over a month.. mines over 5000 in less than a month, but im a higher rank.. whats the difference? I play over and over and over thats how you get good at ANY rhythm game. People have tried to help you in this thread and the answers are quite simple.. its all good posting for help (I have done ALOT LOL) but dont keep repeating the same childish rubbish after you get your answers. It's disrespectful to those who went out of their way to type all dat crap 4 u
Ichi
Play various amounts of maps, with different mapping styles. Feel the rhytm, learn to snap to notes.

All of this needs practice, so practice and you´ll figure out yourself :)
MrBakpao
try to beat best performance friend~ and get good item for osu if you want more easy to improve (well this thing not very important)
piruchan

DJ_Richard wrote:

You said you played Guitar Hero, right? That's why. Those two are very similar. Therefore you don't have many things to learn.

osu! standard is different, it's not like any common rhythm games out there. Unless you've played the original game, you will have to learn everything from zero. Heck, first time I played standard, all I thought was this mode has no rhythm at all.

If you're wondering how to get good at osu!, you can search the forums, it's a common question and people are sick of it, there are two places where you can start searching. One is on top left of the page, below Info. The other one is located on top right, below the total number of ranked plays. Maybe you don't like reading the forums, visit this site, it sums up pretty much everything.

Or you can just play more. ;)