forum

How do you get good at OSU???

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
I discovered OSU through a twitch streamer who I watched play other games quite a while ago. I tried a couple of songs and saw how god awful I was so I quit. About a month later, my interest was sparked again randomly due to my boredom, so I went on youtube and looked up OSU. The first link was of somebody who was playing OSU Mania. It was completely unlike the OSU that I originally was introduced to, so I decided to give it a shot. It was very familar by nature since I used to play a bit of guitar hero and some standard flash rhythm games. I am now pretty damn good at OSU Mania (although far from perfect). I can play any normal song and about half of the hard ones and score an A or S on them. Due to the amount of lobbies available in OSU vs OSU Mania, I realized that it's pretty necessary for me to get good at OSU to have fun and be more integrated in the community. Are there any tips that you recommend? Should I assign my keys different from the standard Z and X? What exactly does the C key do in OSU...? Is a pad absolutely necessary? Why do they use 2 keys as opposed to just one? Why is it so much easier to fail a song on OSU as opposed to OSU Mania? I will be grateful for any tips. Thanks! ;)
dragonoidso
Try different modes.
I'm good at osumania, but not so good in Osu. 8-)
AutoMedic
Play alot.

Thats it.

Dont give up :)
Nub1
you're same as me when I'm first arrived here, just practice more, play more, and I should say the osu standard is the most fun and challenging mode rather than the others (but well that's your choice)
tiper
piruchan

tiper wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk
Tekklorn
This probably should've been put in the gameplay and rankings part of the forums but oh well

As for the OP's question, issues like what key to use / hand placement etc will just fix themselves over time. As you play more you'll just either adjust to the way you currently play now and make that your way of playing or you'll be curious and experiment with other keys to see if they're more comfortable or not. As an example I started using my mouse buttons, then switched to keyboard Z and X, then to 3 and 4 and now I've settled on E and R for a while.

EDIT: On a side note, if you're curious what other people use for their keys, search it up. I remember there being a thread asking people what keys they used and it got a fair few replies.
Stefan
I just wonder why people capitalize osu! completely while it is written in lower case. Even the official icon of osu! is not capitalized.
Kouya-
Don't give up .

Practice makes perfect ^~^
Tekklorn

Stefan wrote:

I just wonder why people capitalize osu! completely while it is written in lower case. Even the official icon of osu! is not capitalized.
They're clearly referring to Ohio State University
Witch Mercy

Tekklorn wrote:

Stefan wrote:

They're clearly referring to Ohio State University
Ohio State University Cheerleading Squad!
*summons dkun*
Oberyn_old
>get good
hahaha
someone still believes its possible
no.
iRish_Cadence
Well, we're somehow the same in discovering this game. I sucked at first too. Just keep playing a lot until you can play all difficulties of every beatmap ;)
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
But nobody answered one of my most important questions... Why do you use two keys as opposed to one in osu????
Tekklorn

DJ_Richard wrote:

But nobody answered one of my most important questions... Why do you use two keys as opposed to one in osu????
Faster streaming speed, using 2 fingers to click 2 buttons = more presses than using 1 finger to press 1 button.
Oberyn_old

DJ_Richard wrote:

because two > one
Topic Starter
DJ_Richard
I just can't get the hang of playing.. It's not that my reaction time is bad, it's like when you have to press twice and the second press is a long note that it just doesn't register.. like (1)(2)-------()

Furthermore, I almost feel like alternating keys is harder.. But maybe it's just because I'm a nub. osu! mania has so many less nuisances. Press a key on time and that's it lol.
uzzi
By not spelling it with all caps
Nub1

DJ_Richard wrote:

I just can't get the hang of playing.. It's not that my reaction time is bad, it's like when you have to press twice and the second press is a long note that it just doesn't register.. like (1)(2)-------()

Furthermore, I almost feel like alternating keys is harder.. But maybe it's just because I'm a nub. osu! mania has so many less nuisances. Press a key on time and that's it lol.
at first I said that too but you can't handle streams with one key so like it or not you should learn alternating

there are only 2 choices, first single tapping but use alternate if there's a stream or always do alternating
kirueggy
As for getting better at osu!, there's only one true way to get good at it; or anything, really.

It's to keep on playing it over and over.
Tekklorn
38 playcount on osu standard, why are you even so concerned about how bad you're doing? Doesn't take a genius to know you'll be terrible until you've actually spent some time on the game.
GenoClysm

DJ_Richard wrote:

This isin't a question worth asking
You want to be good? Use two keys. As you progress you'll eventually hit a point where you will completley stop progressing becuase you didnt know how to alternate.
harder maps REQUIRE the use of two keys, i wish you the best of luck playing any maps with streams or lots of objects in general(scarlet rose)
You don't want to? that's fine, just be prepared to suddenly find you can't do shit later on.

That being said, you shouldn't be remotely concerned with how you're doing. You have an extremely low playcount and you are FAR from your skill wall.
If you've been playing consistantly for a few months, have a few thousand plays and can't continue progressing, being concerned with your playstyle or ability improve is understandable

if you've given the gamemode a solid hour and you're already concerned about becoming next cookiezi, you'll be giving your farewell in two weeks. This game requires an incredible amount of dedication and time, and it's all practice. the more you try to rush it, the sooner you'll leave.
DahplA

tiper wrote:

This.
AutoMedic

DahplA wrote:

tiper wrote:

This.
Thanks captain obvious
A Medic
Just keep on playing and you will get better.
Kouya-
Hmm, I don't know . . .

I've never went to Ohio State University before .
show more