forum

Hard Rock: Random Flips [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Jinxy
Right now Hard Rock flips the map horizontally.

Why not make the flipping random? Like one playthrough it will flip vertically, and the other playthrough would have a 180 degree flip.

Of course, this would have to be recorded in the replays to avoid screw ups.

Plus, it makes macroing harder as the map changes every time Hard Rock is used.

Probably will get shot down, but just throwing it out to see what people think of it.
rust45
This sounds interesting and in theory since the map will still have the harder map setting and the notes will be arranged in the same way, it probably wouldn't need a score reset, but I'm not sure, it sounds fun though and isn't that was osu! is about? Having fun? I'm on the fence for this.
Jarby

JInxyjem wrote:

Right now Hard Rock flips the map horizontally.
:|
qlum
I don't think this is a good idea since the impact of this varies heavily from map to map and the extra difficulty of hard rock is relatively stable as an separate mod I may agree but not like this
Cyclone
I could argue the fact that having a song flipped in a certain manner would make it easier compared to flipped in another way. Right now each play of HR is all equal, and that can't be argued. And it should stay that way.
mm201
No. It would add an aspect of luck to it. What if a flip happens right at a particularly nasty jump, making it easy? Or the opposite? Or a particularly busy map gets clustery and stupid right at a flip point.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

No. It would add an aspect of luck to it. What if a flip happens right at a particularly nasty jump, making it easy? Or the opposite? Or a particularly busy map gets clustery and stupid right at a flip point.
I think the OP meant for the entire map to be flipped a certain way, not sections. It would be randomized at the start of the map.

How I saw this, though, was each section between breaks would be flipped differently.

I disagree with this, though, for Cyc's reasoning (affects readability) and the problem with resetting the scores. It's not different enough from HR to constitute a new mod, either.
Cyclone
He did not say it would flip WHILE you are playing. He's saying each play will flip differently, instead of the set way of flipping the map right now.
Torran
Sorry but no support. In fact, can we get rid of flipping in the Hard ROCK! mod?
anonymous_old

soradg123 wrote:

In fact, can we get rid of flipping in the Hard ROCK! mod?
Yes, but "we" won't.
ShaggoN
Playing HardRock + Flashlight would suck then. Map would be different in next plays. :? So i don't support that.
NotShinta

soradg123 wrote:

In fact, can we get rid of flipping in the Hard ROCK! mod?
Why?

No support for this anyway.
qlum

soradg123 wrote:

Sorry but no support. In fact, can we get rid of flipping in the Hard ROCK! mod?
support
Card N'FoRcE
HardRock flips the beatmap becuase that's the attitude of "HARD ROCK!" Difficulty in EBA and Ouendan: in this play mode you basically play the same maps you played in "Hard" (exept some more beats) but with smaller hitcircles, faster approaching circles, a higher hp drain and the map is flipped horizontally.

Anyway, no support for this, i don't see any good reasons. It would only make using the mod more frustrating (and the mod is already hard enough in higher difficulties)
Torran

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

HardRock flips the beatmap becuase that's the attitude of "HARD ROCK!" Difficulty in EBA and Ouendan: in this play mode you basically play the same maps you played in "Hard" (exept some more beats) but with smaller hitcircles, faster approaching circles, a higher hp drain and the map is flipped horizontally and vertically.
The current mod's doing it wrong. Seriously, am I the only one who notices these things?
Card N'FoRcE
/me goes playing Ouendan 2 to check
Oh, you're right xD

Well, anyway, the purpose of this thread is different. Adding also a vertical flip wouldn't bother me (it wouldn't be a big deal when playing), but the whole idea of random flips seems only frustrating to me.
mm201
The current mod's a 180° flip, correct?

*goes to check*

o___0;

I could've sworn I'd tested this way back in 2008 and they were 180°!

Also in Ouendan, the stacks themselves are also reversed. Seriously, am I the only one who notices these things?
Torran

MetalMario201 wrote:

Also in Ouendan, the stacks themselves are also reversed. Seriously, am I the only one who notices these things?
I already knew that ;) but I had already calculated the chance of peppy implementing it at less than 50% so I didn't bother saying.

Evidence
SPOILER
Here's some code from EBA's Material Girl [Hard ROCK!] map:
0B (Hitsound) C0 7C (384, 248) 42 42 (Circle) 00 00 00 02 92 0A 00 00
0B (Hitsound) BE 7A (380, 244) 42 42 (Circle) 00 00 00 03 9F 0A 00 00
05 (Hitsound) BC 78 (376, 240) 42 42 (Circle) 00 01 00 04 AB 0A 00 00

Compare that to 00:39:077 (1,2,3) from Behonkiss's Material Girl [Hard ROCK!] map:

As you can see, stacks are artificially created in the Ouendan games, unlike osu! which interpreted stacking as an automated process.

seq2osu
TheVileOne
I'm pretty sure balance issues make this invalid.
James2250
Yeah random flips each time you play the map would just throw everyone off, things need to stay consistent for people to compete against each other.
(As the the horizontal vs vertical debate, idk if that is fixed or not but it isn't relevant here).
mm201
I'm pretty sure being a 3 year old thread makes this not worth bumping too.
James2250
Yeah sorry about that, we are working out of google docs now to prevent it.