forum

Catch the Beat General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ascendance
I generalized "you" to mean "everyone" it wasn't directly aimed at you so apologies if you thought I attacked you. I'm just tired of seeing all this stuff. Structured mapping styles look nice and play cleanly. Of course there's boring, safe maps in all modes. But you need to consider that we're one of the smallest modes so the amount of "new" things will obviously be smaller. Just be patient and maybe contribute to the modding community and you'll see more.

Also, at the point of "BN's have the power to move weirder stuff through" I kinda disagree. As an ex-bn, we're held to the same quality standards as the community. It's just the matter of experience and connections that we have the advantage.
PakaChan
Learn to map and make your own shit.
Riari

PakaChan wrote:

Fuck mappers, buncha wankers.
DeletedUser_6709840

PakaChan wrote:

If only it was that simple...
Rilene

PakaChan wrote:

sounds easy to map
A Moon Gust
I just reached top 4k :D
TheFlameWind
I honestly though this was thread was meme or something turns out, it wasn't people are actually serious about how beatmaps are being made. Honestly I'd say the only ones who are actually criticizing are some of those who are in the top 5000. No one else really seems to care that much, they just want to play something that has been provided to them by the community. Anyways when someone finds some type of niche they will stick to what they've done before using others beatmaps as resources to help them improve. Nonetheless this is a community website; sure there will always be criticism of how things are done, but there is a reason for criticism it provides the mappers with ideas of what they can do to better improve themselves and thus allow them gain experience through trial and error. Not everything is perfect, all in all it's just preference, which is said with skin's that people have made, some people prefer circles while others prefer sqaures
Krah

Rilene wrote:

PakaChan wrote:

sounds easy to map
Well negri_sk only ranked map is layers of shit so I think it worked for him at least ...

No offense really, just found it fun

RoseusJaeger wrote:

PakaChan wrote:

If only it was that simple...
Plot twist: It is well having someone helping you when you start also help a lot (thanks drafura)
Riari
There are plenty of people who currently map/mod who will feedback and help you if you ask, the hardest part of mapping is actually starting out.
zove
I'm irrelevant af so I'm goanna say exactly what Fantasy would say when he sees my opinion.
"oy PastaCats 4 digit garbage player opinion doesn't matter kys drink bleach blah... blah.... blah....."
When can we just enjoy the game, why is it so hard to play maps you like and ignore maps you dislike. It can't be that big of a pp thing cause badis hit 10k pp without even doing pp maps like augo. I personally like the new maps being ranked including image material even though there is no chance in hell I will ever FC it.
Laharl

Riari wrote:

There are plenty of people who currently map/mod who will feedback and help you if you ask, the hardest part of mapping is actually starting out.
wtb hitsounding tutorial
wtb QAT member to bribe
JBHyperion

Laharl wrote:

Riari wrote:

wtb hitsounding tutorial
wtb QAT member to bribe
hi there
sovy
What a lovely shitfest. Converts are all that matter to me, period. I couldn't careless for ctb maps whatsoever except for a few like Paranoid Lost. Amazing map like Zak said.

Also 2nd kirby mix compilation fc when
DeletedUser_6709840
I dislike converts most of the time but some are fun to play. It's just hard to find decent ones.
xi-False
Hello everyone I got a surprise for all of Y'all in the future, Prepare your selves cause no one will be able to FC this map.
DeletedUser_6709840
troll tab
-Taku
pls enjoy game
Drafura
Colin
;d
Kimitakari
F THIS MAP IM SHAKING SO HARD

Terton
:shock:
Byeol

Dakkychan big black HR SS
Kingkevin30
http://osuqat.tumblr.com/post/150614301470/osucatch-spread-problem

I love how this issue seems to have gained more public interest in the past few months.

While i don't wanna make this thing a whole 5-6 Page disscussion again, i still think that there is a lot to learn when it comes to the approach of CTB Specifics, their spreads, and their Hyperdash-Usage. I know we all have our preference when it comes to playing and mapping the songs we like.

While Mappers have all the creative freedom to express themselfs through their maps....i would still think that if your goal is to get a map ranked, then you should also try to align with the demands/needs of the community. That doesn't means that your creation has to be altered that terribly. But having everything follow excessively hyperheavy patterns that are totally unnecesary to emphasize the music is not really something anyone wants (atleast not in this abundance)

And since most of us here on the forum/ingame Chat & Top500 Playerbase are quite acquainted to each other...we often seem to forget the secluded unvocal minority that still have their grudges about present events but that aren't to involved with the active scene...or that don't care enough to put effort into changing it.

And while its true that "If you don't like it, then do it yourself" is the best approach to change things to the better. Breaching the barrier is not something that people seem to be that interested/invested in. But i hope that whenever the CTB Editor will be finished that, that will change.
Ascendance
mappers map for the community, but why would we map things that we don't like ourselves? If the community wants maps, then they should map for themselves.

as a followup, here's something I got from evilelvis's userpage. It really accurately describes how I feel, even though it's used for standard:

EvilElvis wrote:

Personally i dislike the whole idea of "mapping meta" and believe that when you map a song map should be different from other maps you or somebody whenever mapped, what means that i dislike MOST of the maps ever created (including even my own maps actually).

I believe that mapping is something really personal, whenever you make a map you make it according to what you find suitable with exceptions when you simply meem about sum shit and randomly shitting rounds and sticks around playfield, but even in this kind of moments thats something YOU do, not somebody else. What, however, doesn't means anything you do is good and can't be criticized by others. You should be open to criticism, otherwise you easily can call yourself stupid douchebag and end your existence at this happy note.

Thus, mappers shouldn't be treated like people who map for community/some part of community/peppy himself/Jesus Christ/your mom/etc. They map (at least i hope they do) for their own sort of j o y and if you dislike some certain mapping styles/maps/mom's spaghetti this fucking not allows you to shit on people because they mapped something you disliked, even if there is many people who think in the same way with you. Sure you can state what you disliked and defend your statement if there is people who argue with you, but never try to shame somebody only because you disliked map they did, because if you do that means yours only destination is nasty sex with dirty donkey.

Other thing i wanted to state is 'problem' of circlejerk between BNs and popular mappers.
Seriously what is fucking wrong with people who think that they can't rank their shit because all these scumbags-popular-mappers took attention of BNs? There is fucking 68 BNs at the moment, do you really think it's possible to take all attention of this number of people? Moreover, what is wrong with being popular in any community? Like for real, if mapper became popular they DID something for this and if you can't rank your shit it probably means you're too lazy or map you made is a fucking pile of shit nobody want to touch, not that you're not enough famous to rank your maps. As for friendship between people who map and people who can rank their maps, look, whats wrong with helping friend of yours? That's only natural to help somebody you like, come on. So, if you want to rank your maps, stop be envious and fucking map better, with some experience and input into developing your mapping style you'll easily could rank your creations, you're not worse than any popular mapper, they just have more experience than you.

And the last one, but not least is beatmap nominators and what they do.
Okay, first of all i was BN (maybe i wasn't a good BN, but this not connected to the topic) so i know how shit works. I beg you, stop thinking that BNs SHOULD icon your map and if they don't touching it system doesn't works. BNship isn't a paid role and amount of icons certain BN can give fully depends on their will. Being BN not a fucking job, come on. You can say 'kek dud if you're bn it's easier for you to rank shit kek BN have privileges lo' and fucking yes, they have them, but they did their best to became BN, they have REACHED this status and complaining about this only shows how stupid you are.
Kingkevin30
I agree fullheartidly with that quoute, even though im not following through on its Statements at all.
Because i still believe that, even with the freedom of YOUR OWN creative Outlet, aswell as the deserving respect you should get for it.
The Ranking Process and its "purpose" should not clash with each other. Have all the enjoyment you want with your mapping.
But don't create something that stagnates within your preferences, if you've done the same "kind/style" of map over and over again.
It may be convenioned and its your field of expertiece, but overall it will just be another string of straw thats being thrown into the bale.

and believe that when you map a song map should be different from other maps you or somebody whenever mapped
What you yourself, aswell as the community wants are unique new experiences that'll be memorable for how they've changed your "perception"
There is a reason why Avalon No Oka & Axion , Perpeetum Mobile and many other maps are still being brought up...They did something unique
which made them memorable. and i want to have that "woooah-Moment" way more in the future :3

Scaling for Difficulty and using Hyperchains more an more often will never make a map more memorable, just infamous for its heavy usage...and for some just its PP-Output, because they just played it once to be done, and then never touch it again.
Secre
What you yourself, aswell as the community wants are unique new experiences that'll be memorable for how they've changed your "perception"
There is a reason why Avalon No Oka & Axion , Perpeetum Mobile and many other maps are still being brought up...They did something unique
which made them memorable. and i want to have that "woooah-Moment" way more in the future :3
This set by monstrata is perfect example of what I personally think the CTB and every community needs from mappers. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/493273

Edit: I didn't elaborate why, but the reason why is because it provides multiple new styles that haven't been seen before, is catered to all types of players, and actually has depth behind the mapping. Props to monstrata for making such a masterpiece.
DeletedUser_6709840

chickenbible wrote:

This set by monstrata is perfect example of what I personally think the CTB and every community needs from mappers. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/493273

Edit: I didn't elaborate why, but the reason why is because it provides multiple new styles that haven't been seen before, is catered to all types of players, and actually has depth behind the mapping. Props to monstrata for making such a masterpiece.
Monstrata gives me a lot of inspiration to map because they can produce some of the most clever maps when they put their mind to it. Also, Can Do is a great song that even I'm mapping it myself.
But it's not just creativity thats lacking and the amount of mappers, we might have more creative mappers get maps ranked if there were more modders as well and BNs.

There's a mindset that maps should be mapped a certain way that is a bit damaging to our community, as well as the others, that is preventing creativity as well as the game itself being limiting as well in how you can map.
Zak
Let's rank some CS2 Overdoses
Kagari

Zak wrote:

Krah

Zak wrote:

Make CS0 rankable k thx
Ascendance

Kagari wrote:

Zak wrote:

I have like 4 CS2 overdoses out there lol one of which is close to being ranked
Kingkevin30

T e n y o wrote:

maps are subjective believe it or not ;)
Thats isn't really true, there are always parameters of atleast gauging the "quality" of a specific piece of art.

it be like showing you a painting from a 3year old and a picasso picture, you could still say you like the color choices in the childs drawing more.
But technique-wise there is no real argument why you would prefer the childs picture
iiyo
quit w
DeletedUser_6709840

T e n y o wrote:

maps are subjective believe it or not ;)
There's a clear difference between subjectivity and quality, though. You can have a great map, but it won't meet the quality standard of ranking criteria just as you can have a quality map but it won't meet the subjective standard of the player.
Krah
All maps are shit.

Way easier like that
zove
Opinions are subjective :d
Ibuki Mioda

Krah wrote:

All maps are shit.

Way easier like that
Lol, the reason I play for the song not for the difficulty or how much pp it gives :) Much easier to like a map if you like the song.
evia

Ibuki Mioda wrote:

Krah wrote:

All maps are shit.

Way easier like that
Lol, the reason I play for the song not for the difficulty or how much pp it gives :) Much easier to like a map if you like the song.

Couldn't agree more :) .
RAMPAGE88
Finally 200b ranked score :D
Realmas

RAMPAGE88 wrote:

Finally 200b ranked score :D
Wow GG dude
show more