forum

Catch the Beat General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
ExGon

Kingkevin30 wrote:

If maybe two or 3 people would focus on that distinct style of mapping then sure, im fine with that....but almost every map that comes out nowadays feels like a lifeless blob.
my hypothesis here:

1. some mappers map for pp performance, using pp patterns is one of the easiest(or only) way to make "easy to catch but looks hard(get great performance)".

2. some overdose diffs mapped before dec 2014 were big inspiration for many ctb mappers. they've been trying to copy styles, rank more maps used those styles, and that patterns are now on recent trend.

anyway everything is relative
Zak
Man this thread is fucking edgy

Also stop claiming someone has zero knowledge over hard maps simply because they're not a top tier player, that's not only outright disrespectful but also really arrogant.
Riari

Fantasy wrote:

says riari the lowranked player who has no map play knowledge, clsw maps dump style that emphasizes on ghost rhythm *rhythm you can follow in your brain but not apparent in the actual song* commonly used in stepmania or 7k maps, it's used to boost difficulty (not really for pp) in a map. also argueing rhythm in ctb is quite foolish considering ctb is not a rhythm game but a timing game

https://youtu.be/gglJbqQmhoE?t=3m49s listen to my keys on my keyboard, theres a beat there, don't listen to the hypers but instead how you play the map its own

people map differently please respect them and don't call them (random hypers) or (Image Material is not a bad map because it gives pp. Image Material is a bad map because of its poor emphasis and sloppy hyper usage. )

this is purely ignorance based on that you cant really play anything to begin with so you look at it from a mapper's point of view.
You wanna know why there is a rhythm?

The editor snaps to a BPM and the hypers follow that, it's rather magical.
iiyo

ExGon wrote:

my hypothesis here:

1. some mappers map for pp performance, using pp patterns is one of the easiest(or only) way to make "easy to catch but looks hard(get great performance)".

2. some overdose diffs mapped before dec 2014 were big inspiration for many ctb mappers. they've been trying to copy styles, rank more maps used those styles, and that patterns are now on recent trend.

couldn't be said better 100% correct
Kingkevin30

Fantasy wrote:

ExGon wrote:

my hypothesis here:

couldn't be said better 100% correct
That was my exact point xD but now that exgon said it you start appreaciating it wut?
iiyo
"You wanna know why there is a rhythm?

The editor snaps to a BPM and the hypers follow that, it's rather magical."

"Also stop claiming someone has zero knowledge over hard maps simply because they're not a top tier player, that's not only outright disrespectful but also really arrogant."

"That was my exact point xD but now that exgon said it you start appreaciating it wut?"

kingkevin: i was talking about the video you linked on scythe on my post

riari: please stop, its hard to watch

zak: lol, i wasn't talking about being a top tier player i was talking about the experience he has with patterning and styles that other people use, ctb is not a rhythm game its a game that ties with ghost noting and dash mechanics, it has nothing to do with rhythm at all
RAMPAGE88

Zak wrote:

Man this thread is fucking edgy

Also stop claiming someone has zero knowledge over hard maps simply because they're not a top tier player, that's not only outright disrespectful but also really arrogant.
It's, but his statement isn't completely wrong.
Kingkevin30

Fantasy wrote:

lol, i wasn't talking about being a top tier player i was talking about the experience he has with patterning and styles that other people use, ctb is not a rhythm game its a game that ties with ghost noting and dash mechanics, it has nothing to do with rhythm at all
totally no experience, not like i've played 1/4th of all ranked maps, and don't go on the "ohh you haven't played all the hardcore bullshit" ....i did, i can appreative it, analyze it, and come to my own conclusions about its design.

Edit : didn't know if you were reffering to me or Riari
iiyo

Kingkevin30 wrote:

totally no experience, not like i've played 1/4th of all ranked maps, and don't go on the "ohh you haven't played all the hardcore bullshit" ....i did, i can appreative it, analyze it, and come to my own conclusions about its design.

yea man i love playing hard converts from 2008, really represents the current meta
Kingkevin30

Fantasy wrote:

Kingkevin30 wrote:

yea man i love playing hard converts from 2008, really represents the current meta
iiyo

Kingkevin30 wrote:

sick seems your platter and rain knowledge is higher than mine

seriously tho you mentioned scythe and im trying to tlel you and riari that you literally ARE NOT experienced enough to play it thus you cannot judge styles like that, that's like me being a rank 400 and not being able to play dash hopes 3 or der wald and saying they are shit maps! random hypers! not fun! haha xD
Jasmine
Now the look of a map is more privileged than the technical, for a lot of people if it's impressive to see = hard

I thinks it's the PP system fault, because with this system you NEED to put hyperdashes for up the stars ratings.

People don't like a map who is hard and no pp and some BN's have afraid to bubble a map who is underrated.

As long the pp system is not good, NEVER we will see again this excellent kinds of mapping ranked:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/17744&m=2

( with the old PP system this map is 6.83* )
iiyo
tbh we need to rank oracle whos with me
Ascendance

Morsay wrote:

People don't like a map who is hard and no pp and some BN's have afraid to bubble a map who is underrated.

As long the pp system is not good, NEVER we will see again this excellent kinds of mapping ranked:

This is probably the dumbest thing I've heard. List me any time where a BN has considered star rating or pp in the event of qualifying a map? Stop trying to pin blame on Nominators. A map can be different and it will be ranked just fine. But that map should be QUALITY.

Hello. I'm someone who's experimented with different styles (Ikazuchi https://osu.ppy.sh/s/424208) and it took me much longer (11 pages of mods) to get it ranked. That should be obvious, something that is different will obviously need more mods to hit a rankable state. Compare that to something like my Nanairo Symphony (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/488149). The map got ranked in 4 mods because it follows a safe style of mapping.

Yes, methods of mapping are much cleaner and safer to rank than others, which is why you see them more. But NEVER can you say that different styles are "oppressed" or "looked down on". If you put in the time and effort to get something ranked, you will.
Kingkevin30

Fantasy wrote:

Kingkevin30 wrote:

sick seems your platter and rain knowledge is higher than mine

seriously tho you mentioned scythe and im trying to tlel you and riari that you literally ARE NOT experienced enough to play it thus you cannot judge styles like that, that's like me being a rank 400 and not being able to play dash hopes 3 or der wald and saying they are shit maps! random hypers! not fun! haha xD
Ok, im gonna repeat myself once again, you are shitting on my video...but you didn't grasp the freakin point....it was about MUSICAL EMPHISIS,
His Pattering and Hyperusage can of course be used to give you taktile feedback aka. your weird ghost noting and gameplay wise thats fine.
BUT THE NOTES AND THEIR PLACEMENT THEMSELFS ARE NOT EMPHESISING ANYTHING but the freakin snare that goes bonkers in the background, which pretty much just lets him place whatever.....and Thats why i find that his pattering is not EMPHESISING the FREAKIN Intesity&Feel of the music itself
Amlink
If people want good maps ranked somebody message starrodkirby86 and get some more kirby mix's made other than that I have 0 faith in timeless maps being made in 2016
iiyo
ctb is not a rhythm game
Zak

Amlink wrote:

If people want good maps ranked somebody message starrodkirby86 and get some more kirby mix's made other than that I have 0 faith in timeless maps being made in 2016
I thought Paranoid Lost was an amazing map tbh
Secre

Amlink wrote:

hell yes my dude
iiyo
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
starrodkirby86
PLEASE
Jasmine

Ascendance wrote:

Morsay wrote:

This is probably the dumbest thing I've heard. List me any time where a BN has considered star rating or pp in the event of qualifying a map? Stop trying to pin blame on Nominators. A map can be different and it will be ranked just fine. But that map should be QUALITY.

Hello. I'm someone who's experimented with different styles (Ikazuchi https://osu.ppy.sh/s/424208) and it took me much longer (11 pages of mods) to get it ranked. That should be obvious, something that is different will obviously need more mods to hit a rankable state. Compare that to something like my Nanairo Symphony (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/488149). The map got ranked in 4 mods because it follows a safe style of mapping.

Yes, methods of mapping are much cleaner and safer to rank than others, which is why you see them more. But NEVER can you say that different styles are "oppressed" or "looked down on". If you put in the time and effort to get something ranked, you will.
Oh okay sorry sir i will wait to see ranked another map look like Avalon no oka https://osu.ppy.sh/s/218623
Please call me please when this days happening :)

>different styles
>Ikazuchi (sliders jump , AR 9.5 )
hahahaha i thinks we don't have the same definition of "different"

Another example (because you have ignore the first) of different style : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/51945&m=2
Ascendance
This isn't 2010 anymore. Wake up.
iiyo

Ascendance wrote:

Wake up. 🔥
Kyptoric
I love memes
Secre

Fantasy wrote:

Ascendance wrote:

Wake up. 🔥
CHICKEN BIIIIBLE
Ascendance
Well really, I don't know what else to say. If you enjoy 2010 maps, play 2010 maps. Stop flaming mappers because they don't map things you like. Have you considered that maybe we want to map stuff that we enjoy sometimes?
Tenshichan

Ascendance wrote:

[...] A map can be different and it will be ranked just fine. But that map should be QUALITY.

This is an important point and also a huge problem. People want their stuff quickly ranked and appreciated, they go for this safe approach even when they might not even like it themselves. That leads to a lot of generic mapping and no creativity. I like Ikazuchi or Avalon no Oka for having a different approach and that should definately happen more often, but how high are the chances? Yeah.

Also, BNs are usually the people who could actually try a different way/method of mapping as they have more power to get their ideas through, but they usually don't. Always remember you are the role models in this case and many people will simply follow in your footsteps and do the same.

For example, we are having maps for songs which got popular because of certain standard mapsets, and there are even many paralells to it which just cries uncreativity. I mean, come on, at least put some effort in and use own ideas.
rostld
maps are cool
Jasmine

Ascendance wrote:

Well really, I don't know what else to say. If you enjoy 2010 maps, play 2010 maps. Stop flaming mappers because they don't map things you like. Have you considered that maybe we want to map stuff that we enjoy sometimes?
Avalon no oka is 2015 and i don't flamings mapper lol ? The only thing i blame is the PP system because he is bad. And i can enjoy PERFECTLY on a recent map ( ofc i prefer old mappings style but i don't hate the new map ), what is your problem Ascendance ? i don't understand your goal

+ you must read this before thinking " u hate only recent map cuz hyperdash cuz pp "

http://puu.sh/rcvU5/929e579899.png

And yes maybe you are surprised but yes for me xeno,image material and other stuff like this are a good map :)
I'm not this kinds of people who hate one map because PP ;)
Ascendance
I generalized "you" to mean "everyone" it wasn't directly aimed at you so apologies if you thought I attacked you. I'm just tired of seeing all this stuff. Structured mapping styles look nice and play cleanly. Of course there's boring, safe maps in all modes. But you need to consider that we're one of the smallest modes so the amount of "new" things will obviously be smaller. Just be patient and maybe contribute to the modding community and you'll see more.

Also, at the point of "BN's have the power to move weirder stuff through" I kinda disagree. As an ex-bn, we're held to the same quality standards as the community. It's just the matter of experience and connections that we have the advantage.
PakaChan
Learn to map and make your own shit.
Riari

PakaChan wrote:

Fuck mappers, buncha wankers.
DeletedUser_6709840

PakaChan wrote:

If only it was that simple...
Rilene

PakaChan wrote:

sounds easy to map
A Moon Gust
I just reached top 4k :D
TheFlameWind
I honestly though this was thread was meme or something turns out, it wasn't people are actually serious about how beatmaps are being made. Honestly I'd say the only ones who are actually criticizing are some of those who are in the top 5000. No one else really seems to care that much, they just want to play something that has been provided to them by the community. Anyways when someone finds some type of niche they will stick to what they've done before using others beatmaps as resources to help them improve. Nonetheless this is a community website; sure there will always be criticism of how things are done, but there is a reason for criticism it provides the mappers with ideas of what they can do to better improve themselves and thus allow them gain experience through trial and error. Not everything is perfect, all in all it's just preference, which is said with skin's that people have made, some people prefer circles while others prefer sqaures
Krah

Rilene wrote:

PakaChan wrote:

sounds easy to map
Well negri_sk only ranked map is layers of shit so I think it worked for him at least ...

No offense really, just found it fun

RoseusJaeger wrote:

PakaChan wrote:

If only it was that simple...
Plot twist: It is well having someone helping you when you start also help a lot (thanks drafura)
Riari
There are plenty of people who currently map/mod who will feedback and help you if you ask, the hardest part of mapping is actually starting out.
zove
I'm irrelevant af so I'm goanna say exactly what Fantasy would say when he sees my opinion.
"oy PastaCats 4 digit garbage player opinion doesn't matter kys drink bleach blah... blah.... blah....."
When can we just enjoy the game, why is it so hard to play maps you like and ignore maps you dislike. It can't be that big of a pp thing cause badis hit 10k pp without even doing pp maps like augo. I personally like the new maps being ranked including image material even though there is no chance in hell I will ever FC it.
Laharl

Riari wrote:

There are plenty of people who currently map/mod who will feedback and help you if you ask, the hardest part of mapping is actually starting out.
wtb hitsounding tutorial
wtb QAT member to bribe
show more