forum

How many people actually like Marathon maps?

posted
Total Posts

Do you like Marathon beatmaps?

Love them
35.77%
Like them
23.36%
They're ok
31.39%
Hate them
9.49%
Total votes: 137
Topic Starter
varq
Marathon beatmaps are really long beatmaps (over 7 minutes or so).

I personally despise playing anything single song that's longer than 4 mintues (5 mins, if there's a nice video/storyboard). I'm just wondering how everyone else feels about them.
anonymous_old
They are great when I am in the mood for them. That is, I have little stress in my life.

Since that rarely happens I don't play them much.
Kytoxid
Yeah, they're good when I feel like playing one. XD
Azure_Kite
I enjoy playing them. I consider them a test of endurance, especially ParaPara and the Nico Nico Douga marathons. (Kumikyoku, Ryuuseigun, Nanairo no Nico Nico Douga)
awp
Finishing a marathon map has a much better feeling than finishing a regular map. So it's basically like the feeling you get from a regular map multiplied by ten or so.

Though Marathon maps also bring with them that special brand of turmoil that regular maps are without. In a short map, if you're going for a good score, a combo-break is an instant restarter. But if you break your combo 20 minutes into a 35 minute map, is it worth restarting? No, of course not. Still, you're not gonna FC it~
bmin11
It's good to play with your friends and compete. You'll see some drama happening
Derekku
They're usually pretty fun since one doesn't need to worry about FCing it in order to get a nice point total added to their ranked score. The added challenge of FCing one in order to get a high rank on the leaderboard is cool, though.
Nakata Yuji

Derekku Chan wrote:

They're usually pretty fun since one doesn't need to worry about FCing it in order to get a nice point total added to their ranked score. The added challenge of FCing one in order to get a high rank on the leaderboard is cool, though.
Flipside: You have to worry about your accuracy dropping. This is the real problem with marathon maps for me, as a lot of them are freaking hard.
awp
Marathon maps are supposed to be easier than regular maps, though. From my experience. Which is limited to Parapara, which is a really fun map.
Derekku
Most seem to be around what I'd constitute as a "Hard" difficulty (sometimes with a few harder "insane" elements thrown in). In general, yes, they're usually easier than normal hard/insane maps. Once players build up stamina and improve their playing abilities, marathon maps should be a piece of cake. :)
ouranhshc
depends on the difficulty of the map.
Doomsday
I like marathons, but only if the map itself is interesting enough to hold my attention. I love the DDR marathon and the Kumikyoku/Ryuuseigun, but I don't like Parapara since i find it too boring.
Hanyuu
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Vanmonky
Marathon map is ok. I like them but don't really like the song.
Gens
I'd say it depends on the song. parapara was boringggg... but I liked NeoMAX.

And I definitely don't want to play that Lucky Star Marathon. I haven't even tried, but I don't like Lucky Star very much. :(
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gabi
NeoMAX is around 7-8 minutes so i would call that a marathon.

i haven't actually finished playing through the whole of parapara mix, there just isn't enough streams in it <_<

also it's never ending D:

i remember playing the DDR marathon, the whole right side of my body got cold near the ending.

now "on topic": i think marathon maps are fun, but even more fun if you play them with friends in mp. gives that sort of competetive feeling (i think someone mentioned it in the thread already). ofcourse normal maps does aswell, but i can't explain it ^^
Doomsday

Gabi wrote:

NeoMAX is around 7-8 minutes so i would call that a marathon.

i haven't actually finished playing through the whole of parapara mix, there just isn't enough streams in it <_<

also it's never ending D:

i remember playing the DDR marathon, the whole right side of my body got cold near the ending.

now "on topic": i think marathon maps are fun, but even more fun if you play them with friends in mp. gives that sort of competetive feeling (i think someone mentioned it in the thread already). ofcourse normal maps does aswell, but i can't explain it ^^
I guess for the "Marathons are better in multiplayer" idea, its because if you miss in a marathon you still have a chance, while in most maps in MP, one miss and you're out (at least in the games im in)
Real1
I like them, though they are usually too hard for me. :P
jericho2442
Marathon maps are great for a nice test, not messing up for 4 min is a whole lot different than trying to not mess up for 15 min.

theres many good and bad points i think.

good points.
Marathons are mostly always collabs, so you get to play many different styles of mapping in one song, this i find to be very fun.
Getting a +1000 combo on a marathon map just feels soo much better than fc'ing a normal song.
If the songs in the marathon are great, then the longer the better is how i think :P

bad points.
When you have a bad go and cant keep a combo going, >_> mainly in multi because it makes you feel very nub.
If the songs are not chosen good for it, ....zzzzzzzzzzz time.
Sometimes it can be mapped so that theres too much of it what feels the same, which instantly makes it feel bad more easier than a normal size map.

Well thats my point of view over them, but overall i would say i'm glad there is marathon maps on here and i wish there was more :)

Fav one has gotta be the lucky star marathon :D
show more