forum

[resolved] Weird crash seems to have destroyed local data

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blahpy
Problem Details:

A strange crash happened to me earlier while watching a replay. In short, it required a computer restart to fix since it effectively hung the CPU in the end somehow.

When I restarted the computer and loaded osu, at first it took a very long time to open. Then when I clicked "play" after it eventually started, it proceeded to process every beatmap I had in the beatmap folder at the time (around 2000 maps including individual difficulties on different map). The local scores seem to have been erased on every map and the majority of /Data/r (around 99%) seems to have been erased.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there's any way to at least restore my high score for each map from online into local rankings. I know that getting back my replays except for the few that I had saved is almost certainly impossible.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

There's not really anything I can put here, sorry.

osu! version: 20140410.5 (latest)
KinkiN
I you mean to download the replay data, then select your song, select your play/record and then press f2
Topic Starter
blahpy

Yuzuru wrote:

I you mean to download the replay data, then select your song, select your play/record and then press f2
That would work fine if I was in top 50, which applies to about 8 maps out of 2000
KinkiN
I have tried it, and it's fine even with my #xxx rank
Topic Starter
blahpy
Update: Simply loading global ranking on a given beatmap is enough to magically restore my local scores somehow. I don't even know how. The replays are definitely very gone though.

Yuzuru wrote:

I have tried it, and it's fine even with my #xxx rank
Actually yeah you're right, it's a bit annoying that it doesn't "attach" to my local scores but it's still very helpful, thank you very much for that.

I might try system restore in a few minutes...
KinkiN
it's a bit problematic, but yeah i think f2 is the only alternative if you haven't set any back-ups

and it won't be attached because this method also works on somebody else's replays i think :D
Topic Starter
blahpy
Okay, I have used a program called Recuva and was able to recover around 96% of the deleted files. The other 4% or so were either partially or fully overwritten, but that's a small price to pay for what could have been a lot bigger. I suppose I've learned that I should probably back up my files more often, since I haven't once in the 5 months I've had this game installed.

Thanks Yuzuru for offering your help.

edit: Please go ahead and mark this as resolved or whatever if you like.
KinkiN
lol Recuva. uninstalled it since years ago, thinking that it won't be any help on anything

no problem :D someone mark this as resolved pls ~
Topic Starter
blahpy
Anyway, no more problems now, have made a backup of my osu folder and only 4% of replays or so were unrecoverable

Now I just have to deal with everything being marked as unplayed LOL, that'll sort itself out over time though
Marcin