forum

How do people enjoy moba

posted
Total Posts
show more
_sparky_

Aurani wrote:

Simple answer - different people, different tastes.

It's like someone asking you the question: "How in the world can you enjoy Osu? All you're doing is clicking damn circles for the duration of the song... how can that be considered fun?"
yeah

my sister wonders how i see this as fun xD
Aurani

_sparky_ wrote:

yeah

my sister wonders how i see this as fun xD
There you have it. It's just purely subjective.
Topic Starter
Aqo
but I mean THERE'S A DIFFERENCE

like in osu you're at least doing things all the time. even if the things you're doing are not my cup of tea, I can understand how it can be fun for others

but in moba literally nothing happens all game long

nothing

happens

40 minutes of staring into the screen and executing a flowchart

I rather go to work, because it's actually more fun than this, seriously. what the fuck. even mining coal in runescape has more gameplay than this
_sparky_

Aqo wrote:

like in osu you're at least doing things all the time. even if the things you're doing are not my cup of tea, I can understand how it can be fun for others

nothing

happens

40 minutes of staring into the screen and executing a flowchart

I rather go to work, because it's actually more fun than this, seriously. what the fuck. even mining coal in runescape has more gameplay than this
you dont do things on osu all the time though :\

im sure something happens but its happening slowly
silmarilen
you dont like them, that's fine. but saying it is 40 minutes of staring at a screen and following a flowchart is ignorant. you can say exactly the same about every single game out there.

when i play an rts, it's always the same start (i only play aoe2 atm). get villagers to do certain things, make sure the enemy doesnt get to them and build an army.
and guess what, it's the same in every rts ever.

when you play a shooter, all you do is aim at the enemy and shoot. oh so boring, why do people like those kind of games.

when you play a racegame, it's always the same corners, the same cars, so boring.
Aurani
It's still your own opinion and view on that matter. It's not a fact just because you say that.

Here's an example (I've only played LoL so I'll give a LoL example): You aren't standing there for 40 minutes, you're actually trying to balance farming (money) as well as successfully scouting the map (roaming) so your team gets an upper hand in the end and wins the battle.
A similar thing can be seen on RTS games - you're trying to farm a bit of money and then go and attack (either full out or just harassing) the enemy before you either win the game or get beaten back to where you were before you attacked.
It's a similar pattern, despite them being two different genres.

Now the whole point is - you might not like mobas, but there are other people who actually find that staring at the screen and mindlessly farming fun. Others like mindlessly clicking circles for 5 minutes. It's just personal preference.
Topic Starter
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

saying it is 40 minutes of staring at a screen and following a flowchart is ignorant.
hellllo that's what I'm asking for here

what does moba have going for it? do you do anything other than staring at the minimap and fishing for last hits + following an item build?

again I wouldn't mind if this was the entire gameplay if the game had like speedmods and you could play it on 8X-16X the speed those games come with, I can see it being maybe somewhat fun then... but right now you barely do anything and it's slow as fuck jesus
silmarilen
it already starts with the champ select, when you get to play ranked games you pick champions based on what the enemy picks. trying to counter them, and what fits well with your own team.
when the game starts, sure you start off by just looking at the minimap and getting last hits, but you cant just do that forever, other things are going on. maybe your jungler is comming to gank, maybe their jungler is comming to gank.
which items to get depends on the game. are you a tank? do you need to get armor or magic resist? are you an ADC? should you get more attack speed or more armor pen? depends on what the enemy builds.
lategame it all depends on decisions you and the enemy make how the game will progress.
Tanzklaue

Aqo wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

saying it is 40 minutes of staring at a screen and following a flowchart is ignorant.

what does moba have going for it? do you do anything other than staring at the minimap and fishing for last hits + following an item build?

again I wouldn't mind if this was the entire gameplay if the game had like speedmods and you could play it on 8X-16X the speed those games come with, I can see it being maybe somewhat fun then... but right now you barely do anything and it's slow as fuck jesus
teamplay, coordination, positioning.

all of these are crucial for moba games. you'll suck at them if you don't understand these principles.

knowing how to play with certain champs. knowing how to play against certain heroes. knowing when to take risks and when not to take them. that's all part of mobas. saying it's jsut last hitting and item building is really ignorant and shows that you really don't get the games.
DaddyCoolVipper
You know how you do a ton of stuff in an RTS game? It's similar at high skill levels in MOBAs- you always have to be doing something, working towards a goal while keeping aware of many different things (enemy positions, minion positions, buff timers, teammate positions too).

Basically, they're just simplified RTS games with (arguably) more counter-play options.
_sparky_

Aqo wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

seriously, you cant judge a game like this in 40 minutes
Aurani
I wouldn't call him ignorant, but he's rather oversimplifying the subject.

RTS games - farm money, create army, defeat enemy. Sounds boring? Well, yes, because it's oversimplified.
FPS games - shoot people, win by killing them. Boring? Yes.
Rhythm games - follow beat and click. Boring? Yes.

I could go on and on, but it's just an example. He isn't all that ignorant as he made it sound really dull.
Lewder
either t/145250 or reword it so you don't sound like a retard and post it in 17
im glad we didnt let this thread escalate into horse shit
Le-Toucan

very enjoyable
Lewder
that's not how to crop images
while at it stop using shitty screencap/imagehosting tools
Aurani
^Lewder strikes again.

You forgot to say your typical "this shit thread is now locked".
Lewder
fuck off
Aurani
Someone is on their period as it seems.
_sparky_

fisheraaa wrote:

very enjoyable
isnt that something
UnderminE
supporting you Aqo
GenoClysm

Aqo wrote:

nothing

happens
Don't start with the "BUT IT'S DIFFERENT" bullshit.
As a Dota 2 player, I can say that every single minute of the game is doing something. Maintaining lane position, getting as much farm as possible, avoiding getting shut down, building items, warding, keeping carry safe, etc etc. It's an action packed experience that requires very close attention and quick reflexes for me.

Before giving something like this shit, you should probably actually give it a chance instead of assuming exactly how the game works based on the solid 40 minutes you spent on it. If you knew anything about the MOBA genre you wouldn't be saying nothing happens. Go play competitive, form a team, learn the games complete metagame, actually learn how to build instead of reading off of a guide, and then maybe we'll talk again. Your entry level experience probably is nothing like how the real game is.
That's like saying osu is nothing but playing easy maps all day.
NotEvenDoomMusic
I miss SaigonAlice
Blue Stig

Aqo wrote:

Like, I can imagine those games would be fun if they had like an 8X speed mod or something.

Charles445 wrote:

Cyclohexane

Aqo wrote:

I had friends invite me to play LoL with them in the past. I really tried to give it a chance but I hated it and quit a few days later.

Was boring as hell.

Fast forward some months, another group of friends called me to play Dota 2 with them. They said "it's not like LoL! this game is good don't worry".

Well I played with them and it was the exact same shit.

How are people seriously able to enjoy moba? I don't get it. Half of the time you're not doing anything and just stare into the minimap and wait for something to happen. How is this fun. Somebody enlighten on the subject please...

Like, I can imagine those games would be fun if they had like an 8X speed mod or something. But right now it feels slower than playing an [Easy] diff at osu. How is anybody enjoying this

right now moba is the most popular videogame genre in the world...
HOW
I JUST DON'T GET IT
!?

not surprised that someone like you would hate to have fun

this thread is NOT going to bring any insightful discussion to the table with such an OP and people just aren't incline to politely discuss on the subject of LoL and the like so I might as well close this

if it isn't fun for you, it is for a good several millions of other people, so if anything you're the odd one out, no pun intended

nice game dotababbies