forum

New Mod to force standard circle colours(for colorblinds) [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
show more
varq
I believe this was suggested before, but shot down because it considered the intention of the mapper to have distracting colors or because it's the modder's fault for not telling the mapper that those colors were bad. I completely agree though, because this would fix problems with gray beats in multiplayer tag.
mm201
Proper hitcircle colours should have good contrast in both the chroma and luma, so this shouldn't be an issue if mappers are mapping right.

Other than that, the actual usage of colour isn't too critical to the gameplay.

varq wrote:

gray beats in multiplayer tag.
I was thinking for this that notes which aren't yours could be alpha faded.
peppy
Can you give an example of an "unplayable" map? The contrast of the white outline around hitcircles should mean that you can still see the circles no matter what colour.
awp

varq wrote:

...because it's the modder's fault for not telling the mapper that those colors were bad.
This is a terrible reason not to change something, to be honest.
LuigiHann

peppy wrote:

Can you give an example of an "unplayable" map? The contrast of the white outline around hitcircles should mean that you can still see the circles no matter what colour.
Typically if there's a problem, it's with the approach circles blending in.

I wouldn't be opposed to a high-contrast mode that just slightly darkens the background and lightens the hitcircles
Topic Starter
GabrielRKF

peppy wrote:

Actually, as LuigiHann said, is with the approach circles.
Example: "The Invasion From Within" by ztrot
When the hitcircle is on the top of the screen, were the BG is more dark, it's pretty hard to see the approach circles.
Ephemeral
I know ztrot has trouble playing the Bad Apple!! collab because of the greyscale skin and hitcircle colours because of his partial colourblindness, at least that's what he told me - mainly from the fact that the approach circles tend to 'meld' into the background sometimes (hell, I've had that happen to me on a few maps).

An option for this would be nice.
anonymous_old
And some monitors are horrible or horribly configured and have horrible contrast.

Then again that's the player's fault...
Lybydose

peppy wrote:

Examples:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/7662 - The pink approach circles are extremely difficult to see.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9273 - The approach circles are difficult to see.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/10435 - The everything is difficult to see.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/10652 - Every combo color appears to be the same.
That one NSYNC skin (http://osu.ppy.sh/b/27936) - OH GOD
Anything that doesn't use the standard colors (or EBA colors) for 300, 100, and 50 hits - I can't tell if I'm doing amazing or terrible.

Granted, it's still possible to adjust my monitor to completely ridiculous and strange settings that make things easier to see. (Usually this involves removing green. Completely.)
mm201
This map is completely playable.

Case closed.

Features don't need to be added to compensate for mapper stupidity.
Azure_Kite
Personally I don't see the harm in such an option. Even if it was allowed for those maps which require it, it would be helpful.
Topic Starter
GabrielRKF

MetalMario201 wrote:

This map is completely playable.
Yes it's playable but I don't think that it does close the case. This map is playable and just because the aproach circles are not so dark as the background.
There are still other maps with this prob.
Jinxy
Well, no harm adding it.

MetalMario201 wrote:

Features don't need to be added to compensate for mapper stupidity.
You are just saying this because you don't know how it feels like to be unable to see the beats. Not only that, I don't think maps will be unranked just to change some combo colours. osu! can be played by everyone, so why not colourblind people too?
anonymous_old

JInxyjem wrote:

osu! can be played by everyone, so why not colourblind people too?
Why not blind people, too?

Why not deaf people, too?
Gabi

strager wrote:

JInxyjem wrote:

really what is the point in comparing this with colorblind? it is not the same thing.

blind people can't see at ALL and nothing can be done about it since you can't really code brail

deaf people might be legit, then again you can't code anything to that either.

this mod won't hurt anyone, and i doubt it is hard to implement. the only thing this goes against is the "mappers will" and i know peppy strongly disagrees with that and will not change anything.
aRiskOfRain

strager wrote:

On an unrelated note, I'm so annoyed that my pets can't play Osu! I mean, my budgies can't move the mouse, and my dog can't seem to get the hang of clicking. FIX PLEASE.
Slavoc
I would like to add my voice (for what it's worth) to those wishing to let the user override the skin. The OSU! default skin has excellent contrast, and I can easily see where the cursor is, whether it's on a slider ball, against any of the circle colours, or on the spinner. The same can not be said for all custom skins, which we must use to gain rank.

Examples of beatmaps that I like but are infuriating to play:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9533 - the custom skin is nigh impossible to tell apart from the background.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9651 (and anything with the Lucky Star skin) - the spinner is almost the same colour as the cursor. No good.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/8495 - similar problem; the spinner sucks. The circles aren't great either, but it's playable.

I'm not even colourblind (far from it, my vision is better than average). I'm sure that the colourblind and blind-aspected players can come up with many more examples of beatmaps made needlessly difficult solely because of the skin.
Shulin
+ 1 Support, not to compensate for mappers stupidity in choosing silly colors and skins, but for the fact that it might help some people enjoy the game more.

That being said enforcing the custom skin with the original colors might not help all colorblinds, for example if you can't see reds or greens well, so you would probably have to have an option to toggle what colors are enforced on all maps. Either way I can't see the harm in including such an option.
Azure_Kite
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Paulo8624

strager wrote:

JInxyjem wrote:

Really, that was a stupid answer.

Some people can't distinguish some colors over the others. This option would really help them, and I totally suport this. I bet it won't break the game, neither it should be hard to code.

For people who are against this: Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean there aren't people who need it.
Gemi

strager wrote:

JInxyjem wrote:

strager what the hell?
Zerostarry

awp wrote:

varq wrote:

...because it's the modder's fault for not telling the mapper that those colors were bad.
Just wanted to add that it's the mapper's fault for putting them in anyway.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
GabrielRKF

LuigiHann wrote:

Here's the thing, though. A mapper or a modder might choose colors that are easy for normal people to see, but tricky for colorblind people, without noticing. Reddish hitcircles on a greenish background would be a clear contrast for most, but could be completely invisible to some.

While I don't think that "force standard circle colors" would be the right thing for the toggle, I still say that a high-contrast option that lightens the approach circles and darkens the background more would be a nice touch.
yeah, don't have to do the new mod but and option like this one would be really nice.
qlum
custom skins should be readable and bats should watch out for that witch is not always the case
but games are not destined for color blinds. so I disagree to this
Zekira
I'm on support for both the original suggestion and on Luigi's suggestion.
Topic Starter
GabrielRKF

qlum wrote:

but games are not destined for color blinds.
yeah, they are destined for people. Color blinds or not.
Nakata Yuji

qlum wrote:

custom skins should be readable and bats should watch out for that witch is not always the case
but games are not destined for color blinds. so I disagree to this
So you disagree to an option that could potentially increase the appeal of this game to more people?
That's segregation, man.
mm201

LuigiHann wrote:

Here's the thing, though. A mapper or a modder might choose colors that are easy for normal people to see, but tricky for colorblind people, without noticing. Reddish hitcircles on a greenish background would be a clear contrast for most, but could be completely invisible to some.

While I don't think that "force standard circle colors" would be the right thing for the toggle, I still say that a high-contrast option that lightens the approach circles and darkens the background more would be a nice touch.
This looks terrible no matter who you are:

Maps that use disgusting colours with poor contrast in the luma component should never make it to ranking.
Yes_old

Zekira wrote:

I'm on support for both the original suggestion and on Luigi's suggestion.
TheVileOne
Might be better refreshed.
Saten
"I'm colorblind and I wanna use the default colors"
Anyone can pretend to be colorblind, and I've seen real colorblind users playing at very high levels.
theowest
just change the combo colours in your skin.ini
problem solved.
Saten

theowest wrote:

just change the combo colours in your skin.ini
problem solved.
You have to clear the map first before that though.
theowest
Now that's something I really want changed.
but in the meantime, I'll just play it and retry with my custom settings if I didn't do well.
incAshton

Saten wrote:

"I'm colour blind and I wanna use the default colours"
Anyone can pretend to be colour blind, and I've seen real colour blind users playing at very high levels.
you realise there are different types of colour blindness some worse then others, as a colour blind player myself i would like this implemented or at least the fact i have to beat the song before i can use my skin, this post is all about map makers being selfish because they want to force players to use their skins when it hinders some players
TheVileOne
Do we really need a mod for this? we now can choose our own combo colors through skinning, and peppy could adapt a disable combo colors option in visual settings to go along with the combo color change in the other thread. We don't need a mod anymore, there are much better options now.
peppy
This is already possible by using the "disable skin" option in visual settings.