forum

Osu! on Macbook Air with Windows installed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NekomimiD
Hello!

I am about to start traveling for an extended period of time and I was looking at options for computers to take with me. I am quite fond of Apple computers, and I think I'd like to get the Macbook Air. I plan on installing Windows 7 for gaming, and I was just curious about people's experience with Osu! on such a system. If you use a Macbook (Air) or an ultrabook with similar specs, please share your experience!
How does Osu! perform? Is there any input lag? What kind of FPS can I expect?
I will be using a bamboo tablet, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!
xasuma
there is a mac version of osu!. it works well. I have it installled in a macbook pro 2011. (though I dont play on it) I just have it there, lol.
Topic Starter
NekomimiD
Yeah, but it's a little buggy. I'm more curious about how Osu! will perform on the Macbook Air hardware under Windows 7. I'm just worried that it my be slow, laggy, or low FPS.
xasuma
It will most likely be slower. I dont know how much slower though. try it :p it only takes 1 minute to install :D
Topic Starter
NekomimiD
I haven't bought the laptop yet. I am currently considering various options and wanted to see if anyone had experience with Osu! on such hardware.
Greyusb
I've played on a Macbook Pro 2010 for like 2 years now, works totally fine for me~ (keyboard might be about to break from intense mania action though)
There are occasional crashes though, but like, really REALLY rarely, and all you do to fix it is restart osu!, so don't worry :)
nooblet
I use a 13" MacBook Pro 2012 (before Retina), Bootcamp Win7. I run window mode, and it pretty much caps at around 140~ish FPS, pretty much good enough. It does like to heat up when I play osu!. Haven't tried Mac osu!, though.

Fear of keyboard breaking +1, I'm surprised it hasn't yet actually. I guess they're more durable than they look.
Topic Starter
NekomimiD
Thanks for sharing your experiences! It sounds like the Macbook Pro is pretty trustworthy. Right now I am considering waiting to see if they refresh the Pro line before I start my trip so that I can get a newer one. If they don't, I'll be stuck with the smaller screen and lower specs of the Macbook Air.
Novixion

NekomimiD wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences! It sounds like the Macbook Pro is pretty trustworthy. Right now I am considering waiting to see if they refresh the Pro line before I start my trip so that I can get a newer one. If they don't, I'll be stuck with the smaller screen and lower specs of the Macbook Air.

Pro line might not be updated because of the Late 2013 updates. Don't trust me on that 100% though.

Macbook Air should run it fine. It ran fine at 300 FPS on my late 2011 iMac (which has similar specs to the current Macbook Air).
I currently run a Late 2013 Macbook Pro, definitely runs nicely.

Tip: Sometimes clicking links will cause the entire computer to restart, I don't know if its just me but it happens mainly if the application has been open for a long time.

An issue I encountered (not resolved): Non-english characters might not appear (especially Eastern characters), they show up as boxes.
nooblet

Novixion wrote:

---
It ran fine at 300 FPS on my late 2011 iMac (which has similar specs to the current Macbook Air).
---

Tip: Sometimes clicking links will cause the entire computer to restart, I don't know if its just me but it happens mainly if the application has been open for a long time.

An issue I encountered (not resolved): Non-english characters might not appear (especially Eastern characters), they show up as boxes.
Desktops tend to run faster than laptops even with lower specs :( My Mac has nearly twice the specs of my old desktop but the desktop was still faster XD.

Dunno about the links thing, but the non-English characters probably has something to do with the language packs you have/haven't installed, I can see them fine (doesn't mean I can read them though :P )
Topic Starter
NekomimiD
Yeah, I'm worried that they might not update the line as well. I'm going to wait until WWDC and see if they announce anything before making my final choice. Thanks for the replies!
Granger

nooblet wrote:

Desktops tend to run faster than laptops even with lower specs :( My Mac has nearly twice the specs of my old desktop but the desktop was still faster XD.
Thats because the battery mode, laptops wont use the hardware fully unless its either currrently charging (depends on the laptop, some wont even in this case to pervent overheat) or the settings for battery mode is disabled. But i wouldnt advice disabling it since it'll drain battery power like crazy.
jomarixa808
Have you tried using Wine?
Topic Starter
NekomimiD

jomarixa808 wrote:

Have you tried using Wine?
I'm more worried about performance rather than compatibility right now. I want to make sure that it can handle the few games I play before I make the leap.