show more
chainpullz

Maus wrote:

This thread sort of makes me wish I documented myself since I started playing
Never too late to start.
Rewben2

Maus wrote:

This thread sort of makes me wish I documented myself since I started playing
I know, looking back at yourself and seeing how you've progressed is pretty cool. I personally just have a tab in my userpage where I record all milestones and the date it happened.
silmarilen
that's why i never delete videos from my youtube channel, it goes back like 3 years already.
chainpullz

silmarilen wrote:

that's why i never delete videos from my youtube channel, it goes back like 3 years already.
Yeah, I just unlist them (or make them private for the embarrassing ones of me getting happy over passing my first insane with 75% acc or something). Then there are the ones that magically get 500 views despite being like 92% non-fc nomods of marginal difficulty that I wouldn't dare unlist because they attract viewers just based on past popularity...
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
4203 pp now :X
In my personal opinion, I think I'm progressing way too slow, but I guess that's what happens when you have classes and a part time job.
silmarilen

chainpullz wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

Yeah, I just unlist them (or make them private for the embarrassing ones of me getting happy over passing my first insane with 75% acc or something). Then there are the ones that magically get 500 views despite being like 92% non-fc nomods of marginal difficulty that I wouldn't dare unlist because they attract viewers just based on past popularity...
i have a video with almost 20k views of some 700 combo score on kokou no sousei [insane]
chainpullz

silmarilen wrote:

i have a video with almost 20k views of some 700 combo score on kokou no sousei [insane]
At least that's 240bpm even if it's pretty much just 120bpm spaced streams. It would still be impressive if it was single tapped (I'm assuming it probably wasn't).
silmarilen
it is singletapped, but the map is super easy, 700 combo is pretty bad.

edit: actually it's only 590 combo lol
ditzix

Woobowiz wrote:

In my personal opinion, I think I'm progressing way too slow, but I guess that's what happens when you have classes and a part time job.
I am 21 and i never had a job, nor earned a single dime. Once you start working, you work untill you retire... Enjoy youth for what it is, you will spend a remainder (good chunk) of your life on a job/carrer latter on. If money is an issue, then it's another story...

Thankfuly, the only thing i have to worry about are studies and getting better at osu. :D
Granger
I consider studies/school/work about as the same thing if we're consuming (lol that brainfart) considering the time you spend for it, the real reason why you have so little time time for fun stuffs when you work is because you also have to take care of your house and/or kids which eats up most of the little free time studies/work leave free.
Studies/school actually eat up more time than work considering the homework you almost always get.
chainpullz

Granger wrote:

I consider studies/school/work about as the same thing if we're consuming (lol that brainfart) considering the time you spend for it, the real reason why you have so little time time for fun stuffs when you work is because you also have to take care of your house and/or kids which eats up most of the little free time studies/work leave free.
Studies/school actually eat up more time than work considering the homework you almost always get.
Or you could just be smart, skip most of your lectures, take standard level classes, make it out with a super high gpa from a well-known uni, and get a high paying job all while having all the free time in the world. God knows if I took engineering math instead of pure math that's what I would be doing right now.

Edit: with that said I attend ~2 hours of lectures each day and the only thing eating into my time besides group work is the 20+ hours of math proofs I have assigned each week.
Top Bunk

chainpullz wrote:

Or you could just be smart, skip most of your lectures, take standard level classes, make it out with a super high gpa from a well-known uni, and get a high paying job all while having all the free time in the world. God knows if I took engineering math instead of pure math that's what I would be doing right now.

Edit: with that said I attend ~2 hours of lectures each day and the only thing eating into my time besides group work is the 20+ hours of math proofs I have assigned each week.
I completely missed the word "it" and I thought the sentence meant something completely different. It's even worse that I considered gpa to mean "grandpa" at first, before realizing how completely stupid I am since the subject of school is being discussed. What is wrong with me.
winber1
what's wrong with making out with your own grandpa, especially if he's from a well-known university???
Vuelo Eluko
friendly reminder that the first reply to this thread was posted by none other than me.

Karuta-_old_1

Woobowiz wrote:

Schooling and having a part time job is admirable, just don't stress yourself too much
Raniemi
I don't even have time to play with just school :|
ZenithPhantasm

Woobowiz wrote:

Slow? Check out my negative progress since August.
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

Slow? Check out my negative progress since August.
you also play about 10% as much as he does
so thats a factor too
f i z i k

Woobowiz wrote:

i think the slow progress derives from focusing one trait only instead of multiple
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

f i z i k wrote:

i think the slow progress derives from focusing one trait only instead of multiple
I haven't "Focused on one trait" since like 2 weeks ago, wat
f i z i k

Woobowiz wrote:

f i z i k wrote:

youre putting up 2 weeks of "practice" against months and months of playing the same thing here. and my point was that if you had put in more diversity in your playing you could be a lot better by now,but I guess we've talked about this subject often enough on past pages anyways
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

f i z i k wrote:

but I guess we've talked about this subject often enough on past pages anyways
I remember when he was boasting about quitting AR8 DT once he got 4k pp. I guess blogging about your AR8 DT plays to your internet friends takes over from actually wanting to improve. Which is understandable considering the skill gap difference between a typical DT masher and someone like Cookiezi. I knew this was a ridiculous goal in the first place, and I guess the OP is realizing that as well.
[-Cloud-]

thedamntrain wrote:

f i z i k wrote:

but I guess we've talked about this subject often enough on past pages anyways
I remember when he was boasting about quitting AR8 DT once he got 4k pp. I guess blogging about your AR8 DT plays to your internet friends takes over from actually wanting to improve. Which is understandable considering the skill gap difference between a typical DT masher and someone like Cookiezi. I knew this was a ridiculous goal in the first place, and I guess the OP is realizing that as well.
It's about attention bro.
mcdoomfrag
Why is this glorified user page still on G&R? He's long since abandoned his original goal.

Can't we at least move this to GD?
silmarilen
this is not a GD thread, even if it doesnt serve it's original purpose anymore it's still a gameplay related thread
[-Cloud-]

silmarilen wrote:

this is not a GD thread, even if it doesnt serve it's original purpose anymore it's still a gameplay related thread
This thread is basically this or this, just for a single person.
silmarilen
and a general discussion thread about things gameplay related, people complaining are only being off-topic
[ Pustules ]
lord knows you improved a lot faster than i did...
GoldenWolf

[ Pustules ] wrote:

Lord knows he played more in 8 months than you did in two years, too.
B1rd

GoldenWolf wrote:

[ Pustules ] wrote:

Lord knows he played more in 8 months than you did in two years, too.
the amount people play is largely dependent on how good they are at the game. If you just get better than everyone else easily of course you're going to play a lot because you keep getting positive feedback.
For all the people who don't have magical talent, you're not going not going to play much when every time you do it constantly reminds you how bad you are at everything an how much of a failure you are, even at a simple video game.
RaneFire

Woobowiz wrote:

f i z i k wrote:

In particular I'd like to see you play more HR, and some HD, and some of the more difficult nomod maps.

There's 3 things I don't see in your top performance list, which is currently entirely DT. Sure, HR/HD is not equitable with DT for pp, but it still means you're not good enough at these mods to compete with any of your DT scores. Well at least that's how I feel about my own scores and I think it starts to matter at around 4k pp. I've been here for ages, but then again I don't have much time either.

You were improving very fast with the no-life approach, but now that you're studying and working at the same time... RIP. See you in 3 years :D

Maybe you stopped believing in your goal, but you should still focus on becoming a well-rounded player instead of just brute-forcing pp milestones. Some maps are less rewarding or may just seem awkward, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't practice them, when they are still challenging. Just use your head when it comes to "actually bad" maps. Doing so will help you to get to where you're going later.
chainpullz
HD is heavily overrated considering you could just as easily spend the time it takes to learn the mod getting better at the game and get more pp that way.
RaneFire

chainpullz wrote:

HD is heavily overrated considering you could just as easily spend the time it takes to learn the mod getting better at the game and get more pp that way.
There is mechanically no difference between using HD and not using HD. It only increases the reading difficulty. HD compliments DT and HR, and can only give you more pp for the same score.

The problem is the people who neglected it don't know how to go about learning it. You don't sacrifice time to learn HD on easy maps that give you nothing. You start using HD on the same maps you would normally try to play without it. This is of course assuming you can actually read the map without HD.

You very likely won't get your lovely pp doing this, but if your argument is about getting better at the game, then mechanically it is not a problem because you are still playing the same shit. Eventually HD will give you even more pp. Win/win?
darkmiz
don't listen to them, keep playing DT 8-)
HD won't get you to top 100 rank, only fast fingers can do that
GoldenWolf
Top 100 =/= Being a well rounded and consistent player
RaneFire

darkmiz wrote:

don't listen to them, keep playing DT 8-)
HD won't get you to top 100 rank, only fast fingers can do that
HD+DT. HD+HR.

HD alone is useless for pp unless it's a really difficult map (airman). That was my point of playing it with what you normally would (DT or HR).
chainpullz

RaneFire wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

There is mechanically no difference between using HD and not using HD. It only increases the reading difficulty. HD compliments DT and HR, and can only give you more pp for the same score.

The problem is the people who neglected it don't know how to go about learning it. You don't sacrifice time to learn HD on easy maps that give you nothing. You start using HD on the same maps you would normally try to play without it. This is of course assuming you can actually read the map without HD.

You very likely won't get your lovely pp doing this, but if your argument is about getting better at the game, then mechanically it is not a problem because you are still playing the same shit. Eventually HD will give you even more pp. Win/win?
It will increase the time it takes you to learn hard maps because you aren't just learning the fundamental to the map, you are learning a mod as well. Take that extra time and you could just as easily have spent it on an even harder map and so on. There are a lot of players like pielak and xilver that don't play HD because it's pretty pointless. It's unnecessary to be good at this game and the reward for learning it is quite marginal compared to the potential frustration when you first try to pick it up.
[-Cloud-]
Learning HD is never pointless.
nrl

chainpullz wrote:

There are a lot of players like pielak and xilver that don't play HD because it's pretty pointless.
Xilver plays without HD because it's what he's used to, not because it's pointless.

chainpullz wrote:

It will increase the time it takes you to learn hard maps because you aren't just learning the fundamental to the map, you are learning a mod as well. Take that extra time and you could just as easily have spent it on an even harder map and so on.
You're not considering the fact that once you're accustomed to reading stacks HD makes everything cleaner to read, increasing your consistency on everything that isn't a stack. Approach circles are like training wheels.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
HD is pointless shit for pp whores. Real men go top 50 with nomod + HR plays.

Rip in peperoni mugiorino.
show more