forum

The Road to Cookiezi-Tier

posted
Total Posts
show more
winber1

Woobowiz wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

Why do you keep playing maps that you can FC and trying to get pp instead of playing maps you can barely pass (or maybe can't pass at all) but will improve rapidly with? It seems like if you're planning to ever surpass Cookiezi, that'd be the way to go.
Who says I don't. o-O

Edit : I do both
The thing is that you don't seem to be trying to push your pp score boundaries that much right now. You say that you can't get 200pp, but you can at least try to top your best pp score right now! Something 180pp+ maybe (tbh if you just increased the accuracy of some of your plays you'd probably get 180pp lol)

More than 100% sure you can get a lot of 180pp scores without that much effort right now.

idk if you've heard of osu!trainer, but it's in the development section and can help you find some good songs for good pp.

yea i'm a pretty big hypocrite but this game is too hard so gg i am forever doomed to nooblordggville
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

winber1 wrote:

The thing is that you don't seem to be trying to push your pp score boundaries right now. You say that you can't get 200pp, but you can at least try to top your best pp score right now! Something 180pp+ maybe (tbh if you just increased the accuracy of some of your plays you'd probably get 180pp lol)

More than 100% sure you can get a lot of 180pp scores without that much effort right now.

idk if you've heard of osu!trainer, but it's in the development section and can help you find some good songs for good pp.

yea i'm a pretty big hypocrite but this game is too hard so gg i am forever doomed to nooblordggville
You're right on the aspect that I'm not pushing my pp boundaries. Last month, I considered a 120~ pp play was satisfactory. Today my standards have only risen to 140 pp plays as satisfactory. But clearly 150 pp is realistic and 160 plays are becoming common. 170 pp is definitely an option if I had better accuracy.

But to realistically raise my pp boundaries, I need to train more and improve my accuracy which at the moment is by training with Hard Rock and OD 10....and I'm absolutely miserable when I play with Hard Rock (HP Drain is NOT fair, and I don't want to use No-Fail).

Rant aside, I'm indeed working to find a few maps that yield that 160+ pp (I could re-FC my current maps for higher accuracy....but again....need training)

Also, osu!Trainer is a bit too brute force for my tastes and it just plagues my mind with mental walls. "If I get this accuracy on this song, I'll get that much pp" running through my mind constantly just makes me miss way too often.
Vuelo Eluko

Woobowiz wrote:

(HP Drain is NOT fair, and I don't want to use No-Fail).
to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using nofail that way. Cookiezi used to use it too. He used it during his earlier runs of Freedom Dive even.

Also you aren't getting anywhere harping on about PP this PP that every post. It's a completely secondary thing and will go up naturally as you improve. you should be aiming to get good fast and that means less fcs and more struggles.

maybe you are doing that already, but every new post is about your PP and latest FCs, i havent seen anything like "Just did pluto [challenge] and passed guys." or "i got my unstable rate down to X and now i can get Y accuracy on OD10" these are just examples but you know what i mean.

juuuuust trying to help
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

(HP Drain is NOT fair, and I don't want to use No-Fail).
to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using nofail that way. Cookiezi used to use it too. He used it during his earlier runs of Freedom Dive even.

Also you aren't getting anywhere harping on about PP this PP that every post. It's a completely secondary thing and will go up naturally as you improve. you should be aiming to get good fast and that means less fcs and more struggles.

maybe you are doing that already, but every new post is about your PP and latest FCs, i havent seen anything like "Just did pluto [challenge] and passed guys." or "i got my unstable rate down to X and now i can get Y accuracy on OD10" these are just examples but you know what i mean.
Passing hard maps is just training though :( I can't even properly identify which clears should be considered "impressive" in that matter.
But you are correct when you say that I'm getting a bit too into the details of pp. (I got caught up with it because I wanted 3k real bad).
Vuelo Eluko
impressive clear is anything you absolutely struggled to pass, obviously. think same way as FC's. i dont know what that would be for you so i just threw pluto in there because thats always impressive to clear. if you pass eighto or something definitely post it here.

make sure you're diverse enough in your map archetypes too, cookiezi nearly SS'd this one for example.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/13244
it's going to be too easy for you to end up more like dragonhuman tier or lewa tier or something if you don't keep everything up to par at once... not that there's anything wrong with that but yeah...not cookie

also my osu has been running for 8 hours u jelly
Pettanko
i wanna see some big black liveplays!!!
winber1
go pass my w1 maps. i guess that's quite impressive. for each one you pass you get 25 winber dollars
conversion to us dollars is confidential information

nrl

Kyou-kun wrote:

If you want to learn AR 10, you should edit maps to have AR 7 CS 5 OD 10 and play those
Uhm... no. You learn to read AR10 by playing AR10.
K E N N
Looks like you're getting there each step of the way. Keep it up, I have a feeling you will one day.
Kaeru
Performance points are a trap. Trust me. Every single time you decide to spam a song until you can FC it, you're not doing yourself a favour. You're completely wasting valuable training time. Don't get addicted to rank. I fell into this trap and I've been doing pretty much nothing but trying to get high PP scores, and it's really messing with my head because I often feel like I'm more superior than I really am.

The true way to do it is to gain PP without even trying. How do you accomplish this? Simple.. you spend your time training on very difficult maps instead of working on your ranking, and then you set high scores casually without even thinking about it. Decide what the absolute highest star difficulty is that you can always full combo/sight read in under 10 tries, and make a note of it. Basically all you want to do is raise that number, meaning you want to get to a level where songs that you find difficult now are easy. Then, once you've achieved that, you'll set new PP scores without having to even set foot in solo. The songs you will find to be "fun/easy/always FC" level in the future are songs that you're farming now heavily for PP.

Play harder songs. Don't fall into the same trap I did where you play songs at your level and slightly above your level. Play songs that are completely out of your league. Dive into new maps you've never seen before. Crank up the OD. Work on your accuracy and pass a song that you could never dream of passing before. Set goals for yourself, and dream big. Even stuff like "pass Freedom Dive" or "full combo on Mythologia's End" are not unrealistic goals as long you push yourself.

Good luck. :P
buny

Kaeru wrote:

Performance points are a trap. Trust me. Every single time you decide to spam a song until you can FC it, you're not doing yourself a favour. You're completely wasting valuable training time. Don't get addicted to rank. I fell into this trap and I've been doing pretty much nothing but trying to get high PP scores, and it's really messing with my head because I often feel like I'm more superior than I really am.

The true way to do it is to gain PP without even trying. How do you accomplish this? Simple.. you spend your time training on very difficult maps instead of working on your ranking, and then you set high scores casually without even thinking about it. Decide what the absolute highest star difficulty is that you can always full combo/sight read in under 10 tries, and make a note of it. Basically all you want to do is raise that number, meaning you want to get to a level where songs that you find difficult now are easy. Then, once you've achieved that, you'll set new PP scores without having to even set foot in solo. The songs you will find to be "fun/easy/always FC" level in the future are songs that you're farming now heavily for PP.

Play harder songs. Don't fall into the same trap I did where you play songs at your level and slightly above your level. Play songs that are completely out of your league. Dive into new maps you've never seen before. Crank up the OD. Work on your accuracy and pass a song that you could never dream of passing before. Set goals for yourself, and dream big. Even stuff like "pass Freedom Dive" or "full combo on Mythologia's End" are not unrealistic goals as long you push yourself.

All you're doing is encouraging reckless plays.

You can't just "play songs that are completely out of your league", you need to build a foundation before you can reach there. Simply playing hard songs will skip nearly all the important aspects you learn early in the game and detrimental to your skill in the future.

By replaying maps (obviously to an extent) you build consistency as long as the map is challenging enough, as well as refining skills such as aim and muscle memory.

The pp gain is also an ego and morality boost. Who would want to practice for a month and not have anything to show for it, or no indicator that you've improved? By gaining that pp, you feel some sense of pride and become more enthusiastic and motivated to practice more as the results are visually appearing and appealing.
[-Cloud-]

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

If you want to learn AR 10, you should edit maps to have AR 7 CS 5 OD 10 and play those
By playing lowar you are basically building up a base for higher AR's. You're getting used easier to high AR when you practiced LowAR before.
OP should learn the basics before going into the hard stuff. For myself, I skipped the basics and I'm pretty much stuck at everything what requires reading.
RaneFire

buny wrote:

By replaying maps (obviously to an extent) you build consistency as long as the map is challenging enough, as well as refining skills such as aim and muscle memory.
This is true, but there is a catch. Playing osu! is essentially a really huge repertoire of actions. Yes, playing a wide variety of maps is the way to go to learn all of these simultaneously, but you need to practice through repetition at some point. Refining is an important process.

As long as you're sight-reading, refining takes place to a much lesser extent. You'll be relying mostly on raw skill that you already have, or trying to familiarize yourself with something new, trying not to build habits. Refining is a process that relies on altering what you already know, to improve it. This usually applies to precision/accuracy.

The catch is only a catch if you neglect other aspects, or train something you actually can't yet (still not familiar), thus improperly. This happens to new players a lot, who grind the same map over and over until they can do it, and then move onto something different and fail abysmally. However, if you're interested in pushing out every ounce of potential you have, repetition is necessary at some point.
Ohrami

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

suit yourself

buny wrote:

Simply playing hard songs will skip nearly all the important aspects you learn early in the game and detrimental to your skill in the future.
like wat
Hydraty

Kaeru wrote:

Couldn't agree more, I've seen many friends of mine stuck on the same skill level for month only DTing AR8 stuffs. This is their easiest way to grind the PP h/e in therms of raw skill I came back to them extremly fast by playing basically everything that pops when I hit the magical F2 button (althought I'm not as fast yet).
I believe PP grinding is good to a certain extent where you can still progress. But basically playing 1/2 days only prac maps (patterns, streams, jumps, squares) with/without mods is for me the best way to prac this game.
Anyway good luck to you, your road is interesting enough!
winber1
to be honest, you don't even have to post videos of your fc-ing maps. posting videos of you passing (or getting a good grade on) a hard map still shows good progress to us and is just as entertaining as you showing us fc's

jussayin'
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

winber1 wrote:

to be honest, you don't even have to post videos of your fc-ing maps. posting videos of you passing (or getting a good grade on) a hard map still shows good progress to us and is just as entertaining as you showing us fc's

jussayin'
Sounds like it could make some more use of stream highlights I guess.

I'll consider it, if I'm not too tired from work today I'll try to train live today.
Pettanko

Kyou-kun wrote:

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

suit yourself

buny wrote:

Simply playing hard songs will skip nearly all the important aspects you learn early in the game and detrimental to your skill in the future.
like wat
like actually learning how to read maps properly and not just reacting to the circles that show up on the screen
VoidnOwO

Pettanko wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

like wat
like actually learning how to read maps properly and not just reacting to the circles that show up on the screen
like not mashing streams
Kaeru

buny wrote:

All you're doing is encouraging reckless plays.

You can't just "play songs that are completely out of your league", you need to build a foundation before you can reach there. Simply playing hard songs will skip nearly all the important aspects you learn early in the game and detrimental to your skill in the future.

The pp gain is also an ego and morality boost. Who would want to practice for a month and not have anything to show for it, or no indicator that you've improved? By gaining that pp, you feel some sense of pride and become more enthusiastic and motivated to practice more as the results are visually appearing and appealing.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. You don't need memorization skills to play this game. In fact, learning how to memorize maps is a very bad habit that shouldn't be done by anyone. Some of my 230ish pp scores are sight reads. That's right, I mean I played the map only once. Why should you practice memorization when you can practice sight reading? The more new maps you play, the better your sight reading abilities will get. Playing the same map over and over isn't nearly as effective.

Performance points are an ego and morality boost.. but that's why they're a trap. The best people in the world at something are not the people who got praised for their work. If anything, ego and morality boosts hinder your progress in the long term. Why did Muten Rōshi make sure that Goku wouldn't win the Budokai in Dragon Ball? Because he wanted to give him the exact opposite of a morale boost so that he can continue to train just as hard. Motivation to practice comes from defeat. Feedback from your scores improving is enough to keep you going.. you don't need a registered account to be the best at this game, let alone a good ranking.

The first day I got this game I downloaded a pack of songs which all happened to be insane difficulties. I didn't know how difficult they were because the names of the difficulties weren't anything I was used to (they weren't even labeled as insane). Disregarding the five stars in the menu screen, I decided to just jump straight from the tutorial to those songs and played them over and over again. As a result, I was playing insanes much faster than any of my friends, and I was reading them correctly. I don't see why this logic doesn't apply to any skill level. If you're a 5 star player and you play 5 star songs, you're not going to improve as quickly as you would if you played 7 star songs. I know this from over a year of experience.

It's been proven that if you want to learn a new language, the best thing you can do is absolutely submerge yourself in it. You don't want to practice only phrases that you already know over and over again. No, you want to talk to people who are native in the language and who speak all of it fluently, even if you have no clue what they're saying. You eventually will pick it up, and all those basic skills you didn't learn earlier will seem even easier. It will take much longer to learn a language if you only talk to someone who knows maybe a quarter of the language, so why would you ever do this (I'm referring to playing easier maps here)? The same logic applies to this game if you can just imagine that osu! is a language. Jumping into the harder maps may seem "reckless" and a bad idea at first (just like moving to Japan to learn Japanese) but it is in fact the best way to learn.

Pettanko wrote:

You don't need to play easy maps to achieve this. The more you play difficult songs, the faster you will improve your aim/speed. The more aim and speed you have, the easier it will become to read a map. Just because you can't read it at first doesn't mean the songs you are playing are too hard. You just need to have patience. This goes back to my example of my first osu! experience. Sure, I could have been playing easy and normal difficulties and following them properly, but instead I decided to work on my aim/speed. In the long run, it paid off a lot more as after that I could sightread any easy/normal map. If he plays songs that are harder than what he's doing now, he'll be able to sightread the songs he finds difficult now.. just like how I could sightread easy and normal maps after playing regular insanes.
Mythras
Totally ran out of motivation to play but I keep checking this thread... Get top 1k woobowiz!1
Blueprint
TLDR PLZ
RaneFire

Kaeru wrote:

text
So because something worked for you, it should work for everyone else?

To be fair, I remember Jakachan saying something similar to this: Going straight into the deep-end with NoFail on insanes.

The problem is, both of you have experience playing a musical instrument. That's right, rhythm is the hardest thing to learn. But you probably don't understand why that is or even what I mean by that, because you had the ability to discern it before you even started this game. It's impossible for you to understand the difficulty of it. After all, it comes naturally to you, considering you said you downloaded insane difficulties and improved many times faster than your friends while reading them correctly - this is not the case for many people who develop mashing habits.

Without prior musical experience, the first thing you need to start developing is your sense of rhythm. That's why playing maps at or slightly above your level is encouraged, not because speed-reading and finger-speed "is not" important, but because rhythm is many times more important and builds the foundation for those things you are so adamantly encouraging.

I'm not saying that your method is incorrect, but a lot of people actually need to start with the basics... baby steps.
winber1
jumping into insanes also gets you bad accuracy, as well as the possibility of other bad habits. Climbing up more slowly allows one to focus more on accuracy as well, rather than solely hitting the notes.

Slowly working your way up also helps you develop consistency in your plays, meaning you won't have random misses. Musical or not, submerging yourself in insane difficulties is more a pseudo-improvement method. Often time people look more at the speed and the spacing of the notes, but other non-visible skills as one's accuracy and consistency play a big role in one's ability to play this game well. I would say playing maps that you don't have to frantically mash would help you increase as an overall player faster, whereas submerging yourself would train a more unique set of skills.
Vuelo Eluko
that was poetic Kaeru *tear*
Pettanko

Kaeru wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

You don't need to play easy maps to achieve this. The more you play difficult songs, the faster you will improve your aim/speed. The more aim and speed you have, the easier it will become to read a map. Just because you can't read it at first doesn't mean the songs you are playing are too hard. You just need to have patience. This goes back to my example of my first osu! experience. Sure, I could have been playing easy and normal difficulties and following them properly, but instead I decided to work on my aim/speed. In the long run, it paid off a lot more as after that I could sightread any easy/normal map. If he plays songs that are harder than what he's doing now, he'll be able to sightread the songs he finds difficult now.. just like how I could sightread easy and normal maps after playing regular insanes.
the more you play difficult maps without having a basic foundation of skills you can fall back on, the more bad habits you will develop which will be difficult to remedy in the future. when i started playing the game i spammed 0108 maps and all that jazz as shown in my most played maps because i thought it was a smart idea. sure i improved very quickly at passing harder maps (read: shitmaps), but i also developed a lot of bad habits which showed when i went and played "easier" insanes, most notably getting random misses due to not reading the map correctly hence not getting full combos aka no pp. it took a very very long time for me to fix these problems i developed when i started the game and even now i still get affected by them.
xasuma
I am sure the OP knows what works best for him. Everyone will learn better differently so this argument will have no end.
Ohrami

Pettanko wrote:

so what about easy maps is going to teach you that better than hard maps with low AR? that doesn't even make sense

BRBP wrote:

like not mashing streams
so what about easy maps is going to teach you that better than hard maps with high OD? that doesn't even make sense
VoidnOwO

Kyou-kun wrote:

BRBP wrote:

like not mashing streams
so what about easy maps is going to teach you that better than hard maps with high OD? that doesn't even make sense
So you'd replace the osu! tutorial with freedom dive because then they learn to SS 200 notes at 180bpm?
It's not better to start with something like 150bpm and work your way up instead of mashing something way above your skill level?
Tupples
I was trying and succeeding to stay on the same level as Woobowiz for a while but now he' went flying past me, can't catch up so I won't try :P Keep it up man.
Ohrami

BRBP wrote:

So you'd replace the osu! tutorial with freedom dive because then they learn to SS 200 notes at 180bpm?
It's not better to start with something like 150bpm and work your way up instead of mashing something way above your skill level?
I already said earlier in this thread that "hard maps" which are good for training = maps which you can get 70%-85% on. If you're getting 95%+ easily every time, you probably aren't learning much from it anymore.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
At this point, I'm really wondering how I can obtain better finger control. I can be a lot more accurate if I could figure out how.
Raniemi

Woobowiz wrote:

At this point, I'm really wondering how I can obtain better finger control. I can be a lot more accurate if I could figure out how.
What's wrong with your finger control that is hindering your accuracy?
nrl

Kaeru wrote:

It's been proven that if you want to learn a new language, the best thing you can do is absolutely submerge yourself in it.
That's a misguided analogy. Learning a language through exposure implies being exposed to successful interactions within the language, like conversations between fluent speakers. If osu! were to be likened to a conversation it would be between the player and the map, without exception, meaning you'll simply never be exposed to a fluent conversation until you become fluent yourself. It'd be like trying to learn your first language without ever talking to more than one person at a time and never hearing other people talk to each other. It just wouldn't work.
YukinoDesuDesu

Woobowiz wrote:

t/222762
aka

SlasherZX wrote:

Let's sum this up.

Q: I can't-
A: Play more

Q: How do I-

Q: What-

Q: Playing...?

Q: Play more
A: You have learned well.
f i z i k

Woobowiz wrote:

low bpm od10 streams,go ham on those 140 practice maps
or just low bpm maps in general
OR JUST OD10 EVERYTHING LEGGO
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

f i z i k wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

low bpm od10 streams,go ham on those 140 practice maps
or just low bpm maps in general
OR JUST OD10 EVERYTHING LEGGO
Idk what 140 practice maps are.
Also....
*stares at Hard Rock*
*quivering lip as I stare at you with teary puppy dog eyes*
Do I have to? :(
Vuelo Eluko
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/72474
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/76465
there you go. btw learning to SS deathstreams is going to be one of the longest and hardest journeys you've ever gone through.

also of course you need to hard rock
Nina
Been following this for awhile, but I've been wondering how you keep motivated if you have a bad hour/day of plays and don't just stop right there for awhile.
Granger
^This so much.

My plays as example are rather sporadic and if something wont work as i want i get frustated quickly and call it a day. :V
show more