forum

The Road to Cookiezi-Tier

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko
Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

there's been hundreds of would-be cookiezi threads and noone has actually accomplished it. so you shouldn't be surprised at the discouraging attitudes from people who have good reason for it. History repeats.

Are you different? Only time will tell. Overwhelming statistics say no.
PLAYER WITH RSI
y0l0
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

there's been hundreds of would-be cookiezi threads and noone has actually accomplished it. so you shouldn't be surprised at the discouraging attitudes from people who have good reason for it. History repeats.

Are you different? Only time will tell. Overwhelming statistics say no.
As of now, my PP and ranking doesn't really say much about where I am. So I wish to base it off achievements and my success. Eventually my PP will align, but as I see it, I seem to be improving faster than my Ranking can measure.
TheVileOne
The people near the top of the ranks would have already reach cookiezi's level if it were as simple to reach his level. You could get close with enough effort, but even you have not become the number 1 player of any game yet. It's just a matter of how much you work at it, and be aware that cookiezi has doubletime FC'd maps that literally noone else has doubletimed before. cookiezi is probably the only player to have passed deltamax.

Number 1 in this game is pretty much putting you above several million players, and the number of the people who can played near your level is a single digit number.

I'm not trying to discourage you. rrty needs company anyways. I just hope you realize just how much more skillful he was compared to any other player, even rrty our current leader.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

TheVileOne wrote:

The people near the top of the ranks would have already reach cookiezi's level if it were as simple to reach his level. You could get close with enough effort, but even you have not become the number 1 player of any game yet. It's just a matter of how much you work at it, and be aware that cookiezi has doubletime FC'd maps that literally noone else has double timed before. cookiezi is probably the only player to have passed deltamax.
I seem to hear that players like rrtyui and WWW have little need to improve because they're already at the top? I'm sure they can pull of what Cookiezi has done, I'm certain of it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to right?

Again, my goal is not Rank 1, that will take a good portion of time to get high scores on many songs. When you say "cookiezi is probably the only player to have passed deltamax" then I take that as another item to add to my quest. As I recall, cookiezi wasn't always Rank 1, but a lot of people consider him to be.
Vuelo Eluko

Woobowiz wrote:

I seem to hear that players like rrtyui and WWW have little need to improve because they're already at the top? I'm sure they can pull of what Cookiezi has done, I'm certain of it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to right?

Again, my goal is not Rank 1, that will take a good portion of time to get high scores on many songs. When you say "cookiezi is probably the only player to have passed deltamax" then I take that as another item to add to my quest. As I recall, cookiezi wasn't always Rank 1, but a lot of people consider him to be.
they can't just will themselves to cookiezi's level it's not as simple as you think it's going to be. And anyway i wouldn't believe that bit about deltamax there's at least people in the tens/one hundred rank who can pass it [of course not nearly as convincingly as he did with 95% and single digit misses]. maybe im wrong though and you're thinking of a different map becuase im pretty sure he played more than one.

go for it
Saint_old
gl man im looking forward to see a non-asian guy as #1 again
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Saint wrote:

....I'm South Korean :?
Vuelo Eluko

Saint wrote:

thats messed
Luna

Woobowiz wrote:

Trust me, rrtyui tries his hardest to get the best scores he can. Look at his top played maps, thousands of retries on single maps just to push the limits of his skills. And now to put Cookiezi's skill into perspective (since you weren't around when he played) - those crazy scores rrtyui took hundreds or even thousands of plays to achieve were easily beaten by Cookiezi with just a few retries. Every time he played, he'd set ridiculous #1 scores. He HDHR FC'd Dragonforce Legend maps in literally 10 tries in his prime (I was there and spectated it live).
Vuelo Eluko
im quite sad that I only got to experience a little bit of cookie before he left.
Saint_old

Woobowiz wrote:

Saint wrote:

....I'm South Korean :?
yea i thought youd say something like that

america i guess
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Saint wrote:

yea i thought youd say something like that

america i guess
I mean, granted I was born in L.A. and lived in the US all my life......'murrica
Breiz

Woobowiz wrote:

is this real
XGeneral2000

Woobowiz wrote:

While I understand what you're getting at, I'm not exactly doing this for myself. Granted, it's great people are supportive and critical of my goal, but the point was to do exactly as you stated; a lot of people are capable of reaching Cookiezi in time. It's just that I don't like it when people look at #1 and say "Well, I guess there's no point in trying to reach the top anymore".
Believe it or not, I'm actually an optimist at heart. I feel the same way you do regarding pessimism. I hate it when people write themselves off as failures before they've even had a chance to see what they can do. But even more, I hate it when people act like they've already finished before they've even started. It's pretty insulting to be told that "anyone can do what you do," especially if you've put a lot of time into mastering a skill. I'm not saying you're like that, of course - based on what you've said, it sounds more like confidence from past success rather than arrogance from ignorance. But you can see where I'm coming from.

The big point of what I was saying (which I think you understood) is that everything is possible, but it all takes time, and basically everyone I've ever met (maybe not you, based on your past experience) found out later that the time and sacrifice it took was way higher than they anticipated. Eventually, it became clear to them that it was simply not worth it for them, and that other things were more important. That's fine, but it's also disappointing, especially when I consider that the time they spent was essentially wasted, and that they would likely repeat the cycle in other ventures.

In the end, it wasn't that the dream was impossible. It was just that the person dreaming wasn't a person who could realize them. Maybe they comprehended the dream itself, and understood what it would take, but they failed to correctly evaluate themselves.

From what you've told me about your previous gaming experiences, it sounds like you've got a leg up on most people I know. If you feel like you can do this, that you really know yourself and what you - not generic "anyone" - can do, then go for it. I don't mean that sarcastically, or the way people talk to children. I mean that sincerely, because I'm tired of people never living up to words spoken in the heat of the moment, and it would make me very happy indeed if you broke the trend.

(Btw, unrelated, but I'm also South Korean lol)
mcdoomfrag

Woobowiz wrote:

As I recall, cookiezi wasn't always Rank 1, but a lot of people consider him to be.
Where did you get that impression? As some have already pointed out, cookiezi in his prime was undoubtedly the best player at the time. We aren't talking about being Grandmaster at Starcraft, or Challenger at League of Legends (If you wanted that, you should have aimed for top 50), but being the best and crushing all competition while your'e at it. That's why people take to offense why you roll right in claiming to become the next Cookiezi.
xasuma
spending this much time in the forums sure isn't going to help you become cookiezi-tier, Kappa .

:idea:
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

mcdoomfrag wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

As I recall, cookiezi wasn't always Rank 1, but a lot of people consider him to be.
Where did you get that impression? As some have already pointed out, cookiezi in his prime was undoubtedly the best player at the time. We aren't talking about being Grandmaster at Starcraft, or Challenger at League of Legends (If you wanted that, you should have aimed for top 50), but being the best and crushing all competition while your'e at it. That's why people take to offense why you roll right in claiming to become the next Cookiezi.
First comes those that take offense.
It would make me so happy to turn that offense into acceptance or better yet, inspiration. So I just HAVE to try my best and give it 100%
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

xasuma wrote:

spending this much time in the forums sure isn't going to help you become cookiezi-tier, Kappa .

:idea:
Typing out a research paper right now, no time to play, the semester's almost over and Summer will start in 1-2 weeks. Summer is where the real stuff begins.
usa

Dexus wrote:

usa wrote:

most people hit their try hard breaking point in 1-2 years, so good luck keeping this up beyond that.
That's just you giving up, don't drag people down with you just because you got stagnant and don't know where or how to improve your own skills. There is no limited capacity to this game, it's just a point where you either break and give up or you keep trying harder.
wtf are you saying?
if people could keep growing muscles, keep running faster then why the hell are there people taking steroids in the top scene of any sport?
humans have physical limits, a limit to how bulky they can get, and limit to how fast they can run, a limit to how fast one can react, and so on.
same thing with osu! there's going to be a limit to your speed, stamina, aim.
and it's going to become more apparent as you get closer to it as you'll be barely progressing or it'll take hours on end everyday just to maintain your skill level.
thinking that you can work your limits away is incredibly naive, and puts you at a risk of overexerting/hurting yourself.
cokezi having eye problems, people developing RSI... yea..

also, it's a bloody video game, not your job or life.
to put in that much work and stress into a game to the extent where it becomes questionable whether you are having fun is plain stupid.
save that army mentality for something that's actually worth it.
brendanuhs
You won't be able to and even if you do, you'll probably get banned.
hinamizawan
Why even reach Cookiezi tier, you would feel like a god among men while on your greatest time of your gaming life but then you'd get annoyed at the massive attention you've receiving thus getting bored of the game because it's easy.
tokaku
I always feel sad whenever I see people talking about when they started doing insanes. It took me 6-7 months to do my first one (Black Rebel on insane) I know everyone learns at their own pace but it just makes me feel bad.

Good luck on getting to cookiezi level!
GoldenWolf

usa wrote:

wtf are you saying?
if people could keep growing muscles, keep running faster then why the hell are there people taking steroids in the top scene of any sport?
They do that because they don't want to put the effort to get even better, not because they can't
astelios
piruchan
Leave this thread for sleep and all of a sudden new 5 pages arrive.

I'm not telling you to stop or anything, but as a short term goal, why don't aim for #1 spot on your country (USA)? I'm pretty sure it's hard to climb the US ranking ladder (and most other countries as well, unless there's only 1 player).
usa

GoldenWolf wrote:

usa wrote:

wtf are you saying?
They do that because they don't want to put the effort to get even better, not because they can't
umm.. no?
if it's the average guy on the street who wants to get ripped fast then yeah.
but a professional athlete who must have had to work his ass to off to get the skills to get the professional level?
unless you mean to tell me that to even become a major league baseball player, or an olympic runner requires no hard work at all.
or that once they get to the professional scene, they just get lazy and stop working hard with thousands of competitors raining down their throats.
or that somehow you think that you can just take steroids and sit on your ass all day, and it'll magically make you stronger and faster.
or that steroid is completely harmless and undetectable, and that you can take it everyday for the rest of your life.

these guys work hard to get to where they are.
but there is a thing called GENETICS which determines individual capacity, and they're not so naive to ignore it.
if you can work away your limits, why is Uan not #1?
surely there are people who have worked and played harder than cokeizi, but how come they are not even close to cokezi?
I doubt they are so ignorant of their weaknesses and have not worked on them if they were competing against cokezi.
Pacemaker
Despite all the things you've said, it still feels to me like you're taking this whole thing a little too lightly. To me personally your whole approach looks wrong, and that's just looking at the kind of maps you're playing - You're playing modern maps where you'll have ar9 Insanes on 150 BPM

See, the new generation of players, even when they're good enough to DT insanes and pass all those crazy shitmaps, sooner or later have to realize that there's more to being a Cookiezi than just being fast and having good aim, usually by the time they try something like this and fail 10 seconds after the first break because they don't know what the fuck to look at.

My advice? Focus on learning to read low ar instead of going for a pass on some crappy ar10 insane, by playing old maps for example.
GoldenWolf
I said EVEN better, aka they gave up on putting even more effort than they already did, so they take unfair shorcut

You can always work your limit, depends if you're willing to and don't mind it being awfully slow when you reach a really high level
Vuelo Eluko

Pacemaker wrote:

Despite all the things you've said, it still feels to me like you're taking this whole thing a little too lightly. To me personally your whole approach looks wrong, and that's just looking at the kind of maps you're playing - You're playing modern maps where you'll have ar9 Insanes on 150 BPM

See, the new generation of players, even when they're good enough to DT insanes and pass all those crazy shitmaps, sooner or later have to realize that there's more to being a Cookiezi than just being fast and having good aim, usually by the time they try something like this and fail 10 seconds after the first break because they don't know what the fuck to look at.

My advice? Focus on learning to read low ar instead of going for a pass on some crappy ar10 insane, by playing old maps for example.
that map is crazy hard. Last time I was watching happystick he couldn't get through it.

And also, usa, genetics are a limitation in professional sports for sure, I mean, how many olympic level asian power lifters do you see? I have seen one, and that was god damned inspirational given their physiology is probably the least capable of 'bulking up' of all the races. But I think as far as osu goes, I doubt anyone has reached their 'true' limit yet. I mean it's not even 10 years old yet. Some of the best tattoo artists spent decades honing that skill for example. So maybe the real limit for osu that the average person has is much higher than the level cookiezi was at.

Or maybe i'm vastly overestimating the skill ceiling of this game, or underestimating how fast people can 'cap out'
Rinku
The people saying he can't do it are disgusting :/ I guess it really is in the human nature to put down others and try to succeed yourself. To the people that are insulted by this noob trying to be Cookiezi, I am insulted by you not encouraging the next generation of players which theoretically could have higher potential.
Rewben2

-Rinku- wrote:

The people saying he can't do it are disgusting :/ I guess it really is in the human nature to put down others and try to succeed yourself. To the people that are insulted by this noob trying to be Cookiezi, I am insulted by you not encouraging the next generation of players which theoretically could have higher potential.
People aren't saying it's impossible. They are saying it's extremely difficult and an unrealistic goal that will very likely not be achieved. Cookiezi is better than everyone else by a long shot, enough to make him widely regarded as unrivalled. There are tons of people who have been playing this game hours a day for years and are still not close to being his level, why are we supposed the think that some random rank 60k is the next best thing? It's not impossible, but look at the odds.
Varetyr

-Rinku- wrote:

rational*

And yeah Rewben2 pretty much summed up my thoughts.

But uh, good luck with that I guess
Rinku

Rewben2 wrote:

People aren't saying it's impossible. They are saying it's extremely difficult and an unrealistic goal that will very likely not be achieved. Cookiezi is better than everyone else by a long shot, enough to make him widely regarded as unrivalled. There are tons of people who have been playing this game hours a day for years and are still not close to being his level, why are we supposed the think that some random rank 60k is the next best thing? It's not impossible, but look at the odds.
I am not saying to think that some 60k is the next best thing. The thing is whether its unrealistic or not, you don't know for if that's true. I do think even if the odds were in his favor it will still take a lot longer for him to achieve than he thinks, but that doesn't mean its impossible. (if he ever gets close at all)

Some people in life want to experience all that life has to offer. That is an unrealistic goal, however don't you think you'd make it farther and achieve more with having that mindset? Me and my friends talk all the time about how we are getting triple digit ranks for sure and are going fight over being top in our country's, not because we are sarcastic but because we truly believe attempting to do so will get us the farthest on our journey.

I'm not usually an optimist (more of a realist) but when you can't determine the exact odds, you can no longer be a realist. Choosing to be optimistic over a pessimist seems to be the best way to go.
Luna
I'm pretty sure most people aren't considering his ultimate goal (close to Cookiezi's skill) completely impossible, they are just annoyed by his claims that it'll take maybe a year of hard work to get to that level. By saying that, he is essentially telling everyone who has spent hours upon hours each day for the last several years that they just didn't try hard enough. Confidence is fine, but at least stay within reasonable limits.
Liiraye

Woobowiz wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

The people near the top of the ranks would have already reach cookiezi's level if it were as simple to reach his level. You could get close with enough effort, but even you have not become the number 1 player of any game yet. It's just a matter of how much you work at it, and be aware that cookiezi has doubletime FC'd maps that literally noone else has double timed before. cookiezi is probably the only player to have passed deltamax.

Well before he quit he was more than 1000pp ahead of #2. He was pretty much undefeated when he was active the last few years. The only time people actually gave a fuck to try and get #1 was when he was banned or retired. \:v/
Just saying...
f i z i k

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

So maybe the real limit for osu that the average person has is much higher than the level cookiezi was at.

Or maybe i'm vastly overestimating the skill ceiling of this game, or underestimating how fast people can 'cap out'
You are. I am sure someone with information about biology and stuff could go around and tell us what are the physical capabilties of a human body. There is a certain limit to how fast you will be able to move your fingers and react,and I think Cookiezi was pretty close to that already. Do some googling and come back with facts,fool!
GoldenWolf
And google will tell you it depends for each person and no scientific researches has been done about how fast you can move your finger for a circle-clicking game
Liiraye

f i z i k wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

So maybe the real limit for osu that the average person has is much higher than the level cookiezi was at.

You are. I am sure someone with information about biology and stuff could go around and tell us what are the physical capabilties of a human body. There is a certain limit to how fast you will be able to move your fingers and react,and I think Cookiezi was pretty close to that already. Do some googling and come back with facts,fool!

Sorry but that's complete BS and you know it. People say they've reached their limit when they have like 10k plays. Most people improve at osu when they have 3-5 times that amount, and some gradually get faster all the.time. Look at lewas last spurt before he went emo. WWWs great improvement after cookie got banned etc
Yauxo

Liiraye wrote:

Sorry but that's complete BS and you know it. People say they've reached their limit when they have like 10k plays. Most people improve at osu when they have 3-5 times that amount, and some gradually get faster all the.time. Look at lewas last spurt before he went emo. WWWs great improvement after cookie got banned etc
Can second.
I felt like I've reached my limit when I was at ~15k; Unable to read AR10 "wtf this is way too fast, Iam the tired type - I wont ever be able to read this", couldnt stream well "how the hell am >I< supposed to tap that fast? My right hand can never do this" etc.
Towards 25k, I've improved a lot. Ar10 is fine now, streams (still) get better from day to day and the snapping feels maxed, but probably isnt.
You can always improve if someone else is better than you (not taking medical conditions in aspect), so dont just tell yourself that youre "at your limit". Take more time to train and maybe you'll notice huge changes to your playstyle
If only I could tell this to me if it comes to school and sport ...
show more