forum

(friend name) has just beat your score in (song name).

posted
Total Posts

would you like this?

Yes.
64.71%
No.
20.59%
I don't care.
14.71%
Total votes: 34
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
I think it would be cool to put some sort of alert like that into osu!.
It would probably be annoying if you got PM's, so maybe something that is just when you're in game, to spur on friendly competition?
Derekku
Eh, I'm against this. With more than a couple of friends, one would constantly be getting messages and it'd be more annoying than useful imo.
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

Eh, I'm against this. With more than a couple of friends, one would constantly be getting messages and it'd be more annoying than useful imo.
You're my friend. <3
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
[_] Disable competition notifications.
Derekku
woo more toggles

[/sarcasm]
bmin11
Sure, why not? I think this is an idea :I
Toggle would help the prevent frustration as he suggested
anonymous_old
Argument against a toggle:

Why create a feature and let everyone disable it?
Sleep Powder
I don't see it as useful really...I just look at the scoreboards.
Jinxy
Not useful.
Gemi

strager wrote:

Because different people have different tastes, and games are meant to be fun. Your argument is a bad argument. There are other case-by-case arguments that are good against toggles for specific options, but this is not.
ignorethis
Personally I think this is not needed.
Jeffro
+1

Its hard to keep track of alllll those maps you have :P
anonymous_old

Gemi wrote:

strager wrote:

Because different people have different tastes, and games are meant to be fun. Your argument is a bad argument. There are other case-by-case arguments that are good against toggles for specific options, but this is not.
Three people currently have posted support. Five posted against it. I have a feeling many many people will disable it.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
Does something have to be useful to be a positive asset to a game? Of course not.
I think this would introduce something new to rank whores, and it would be a nice addition.

Of course, it all boils down to whether or not peppy likes it.
Jeffro

Gemi wrote:

strager wrote:

Yes but the argument that you can just look at the scoreboard means you have to check ALL the maps you have a good rank on. If you're pretty good it will be quite alot. Even though this doesnt even have to be a alert but maybe just something on the webpage where you can see if someone passed you. (instead of just lost rank 1 only)
Gemi

strager wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Three people currently have posted support. Five posted against it. I have a feeling many many people will disable it.
"Many" is not "most". Although 8 people is hardly any evidence in either direction, a 5-3 spread to me seems pretty even, which would mean that people would spread quite evenly to those who want the feature and those who don't, and that's a good place for a toggle.

I'm not commenting on this case specifically really, I'm making a more general point.
ShaggoN

Derekku Chan wrote:

That's right. That would be more popups. I can't put up with them already. :x
Somebody is online
That why i'm not supporting this. :( Sry
anonymous_old
I'd be fine if this was on the profile on the web (along with "you lost #1!" notices).
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

I'd be fine if this was on the profile on the web (along with "you lost #1!" notices).
That would actually work better.
Something like the ranking charts per song, maybe?
qlum
just make a poll to see how many people are going to use this
anonymous_old

qlum wrote:

No. Polls are retarded.
qlum

strager wrote:

qlum wrote:

No. Polls are retarded.
they may be retarded but at least they show how little people are going to use this
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

qlum wrote:

No. Polls are retarded.
Do they have extra chromosomes? No.
Do they wear helmets? No.
Do they have IQ's below 70? No.

Therefore, they aren't retarded, and I would appreciate it if you used the word with actual retards. Such as people wearing helmets, with extra chromosomes, with an IQ below 70. kthx

Anyways, I guess I'll put up a poll.
anonymous_old
I think the criteria for being a retard should be:

Is your "IQ" over 200?
Do you think you deserve more and use your "IQ" as an excuse?
Are you fat?

Answer yes to two or more and you're a retard.

Therefore, polls are retarded.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

I think the criteria for being a retard should be:

Is your "IQ" over 200?
Do you think you deserve more and use your "IQ" as an excuse?
Are you fat?

Answer yes to two or more and you're a retard.

Therefore, polls are retarded.
Too bad I don't fit any of those. And neither do polls.
And we should probably keep this on-topic.
Jeffro
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
qlum
get back to topic and stop using "the tardWeegeevsWeegee" to proof your point
reb3llist

strager wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Currently, in the poll, 13 people supports it and 5 are against it. Heh, I don't know what your feeling is now. As Gemi said, many is not most. To have most, you must post a poll up the front page where everyone answers and you take the majority.

Btw, it would be better to stop insulting each other and debating the use of retard. In my opinion, nowadays no one cares for a criteria of using retard, it's just used to say how stupid something/someone is. It's terminology; nobody cares.

I'd support it but there should be a limit, like only when you're in the top 10 or in the range of XX - YY.

Preferrably though, after a song played this can be put on a portion of the window as a tickbox (originally unticked) so that anyone who loves beating the beatmap so much can know when they've been beaten and since it's a tickbox the guy who cares HAS to tick, those who don't give a rat's ass about it can just be happy that they don't have anymore things to untick.

Better recommendation for those who don't really care about this and real estate in the finishing window? Y/Y
Better recommendation for those who actually care? I don't know because it's a bit bothersome if you have too many maps. Feedback?
FurukawaPan

strager wrote:

Easily defeated. Some people want the feature, some people would be irritated by the operation of that feature.

Why not give the user control? Why should the people who want (whatever feature) be forced to do without it? Why should people who would be annoyed/irritated by the feature be forced to have it on all the time even when they don't want it?

Now, if only 10 people want some feature, clearly implementing it would be a complete waste of time.
But if a good 30-40% of people (or more) polled wanted the feature, why not just add it along with the toggle to turn it off? Especially something such as a notification that would be interrupting people during gameplay.

My personal opinion about this feature, is it is unnecessary. I really don't care if someone I know has beaten my score on a particular map.
Gabi
29 bucks says something along these lines will come up

This would require a huge amount of processin to get working.
that said, i only support this for the web profile page, nothing else.

and to the arguments about whether a toggle should be used or not, why spend so much time on a feature request that half the people would toggle off when we can get much better feature requests that EVERYONE likes?
TheVileOne
This would be interesting to have as an Update message. I could see it getting very spammy though. Perhaps an option in the future.
theowest
i don't think we should have polls on feature requests anymore. We have stars for that.
Saten
It would be very spammy indeed.
The majority of the users on my friendlist are pretty active, and it would be really annoying along with the time.
blissfulyoshi
Given the stalkerish nature of friends, and the fact that my friends are far better than me, this will easily make an extremely messy profile. Plus, if I were competitive with my friend, I usually care only about a few things: competing for first on a song and competing for a higher general rank (pp). I don't feel it is that fun or impressive to do anything else.

No support.