forum

Does hidden help improve accuracy?

posted
Total Posts
show more
nooblet

[ Stellar ] wrote:

I don't think hidden improves accuracy at all, I think it just help you understand the rhythm more.
If you want to improve accuracy, then I suggest playing CS=5 songs or OD=9.
Exactly. It forces you to understand the rhythm instead of rely on approach circles, so if you don't rely on approach circles in the first place, it won't help.

PS: CS is aim mang.
GoldenWolf
Understanding rhythm better also leads to better accuracy, so in a sense hidden does help improving accuracy, but more indirectly
Nathanael
Hidden doesn't really help accuracy, specially to the maps that you haven't played yet. As TVO said, it will be a guessing game.
You won't know when to click. The higher Overall Difficulty (OD) is, then it will help you.

The Overall Difficulty (OD for short) is a number (from 0 to 10) that indicates how difficult it is to achieve high accuracy. Since accuracy is important for gaining HP, overall difficulty indirectly influences how hard it is to pass a map. Higher overall difficulties mean a smaller window of time in which one must hit a circle, both in general and terms of getting a 300. Spinners must also be spun more in order to fill up the gauge in time. Note that in some cases, raising the OD can make previously possible spinners impossible.
Link: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Song_Setup#Overall_Difficulty

The Hidden Modifier (HD for short) eliminates the approach circles and causing the hit circles to vanish shortly after appearing, forcing players to more or less memorize the timing and, to a lesser degree, placement. Numbers on sliders and their approach circles vanish, but the sliders themselves do not, so the player only need remember the timing and which end to click.
Link: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Game_Modifiers#Hidden
mcdoomfrag

Nathanael wrote:

Hidden doesn't really help accuracy, specially to the maps that you haven't played yet. As TVO said, it will be a guessing game.
You won't know when to click. The higher Overall Difficulty (OD) is, then it will help you.
I don't see how exactly hidden is a guessing game. Yes, the first note in a song might require some amount of guessing because of varying ARs, but after that, if each subsequent note follows the same rhythm, then having a "feel" of the rhythm is what is going to land you 300s, not guessing. I'm not trying to argue that hidden is really a lot of help when it comes to improving accuracy, but I don't see how hidden is a guessing game.
RaneFire
Depends at what stage of your progression you decide to learn hidden.

For me, it improved my accuracy because I started playing it late, so I was essentially good at reading approach circles, but not really the song's rhythm independant of using them for timing checks. I relied on them a bit too much. Going back to reading approach circles, I found it easier to keep a consistent pace for longer without continuously checking the timing with the approach circles.

I don't know how that would fair for new players though, seeing some of the things I've seen.
nooblet

Nathanael wrote:

Not saying it directly helps your accuracy, it helps in the sense that it prevents you from reading approach circles and forces you to feel the rhythm. Like mcdoomfrag said, it does not become a "guessing game". It's much more difficult at low AR's because the time between disappearing and clicking is longer, which is probably why you think it's a guessing game, since most of your top plays are Normal/Hard+HD's. However, at AR 9 you can pretty much memorize the time it takes for the circle to disappear on the first note, and just go with the rhythm the rest of the way. AR's above that are more reaction-based, so HD would be affecting your reading a lot more.
Nathanael
Well that's my opinion. :roll:
AnegelSeeker
Meh ... hidden is hit and miss really, accuracy wise, complecated songs become easier to play with hidden because if forcess attention and gives you more negative space to work with but at the same time it becomes a memory game not acuracy game... best ways i found to iprove acuracy is eithr hard rock (not great) or finding maps with smaller and more widespread circles that follow the beat or rhythm really well, older songs are great for that.
Vuelo Eluko
hidden isnt memory based tho

it's very much readable
Dexus
ignoring the thread and replying to op, tl;dr

Hidden does nothing but help you read hidden.

It's a different obstacle to overcome. If anything it can help with multitasking as in reading ahead of the notes and trying to read the placement. This is really easy when you play with high AR as there are less notes ahead to read.

If anything you'll be better of learning to hear your mistakes and correct them, OD and all that doesn't do anything but slap your wrist and say you're wrong without saying why. HR, yes it does help with acc and aim, but again playing HR helps you read HR, not much outside of it. You can honestly hone all your skills with either no mods or DT and then play a variety of maps with a variety of difficulty settings. So it'd be better to build a good foundation before jumping head first into mods and possibly damaging your ability to read / play the game correctly.

I find it better to play no mod maps that are more difficult and challenging than dwell on easy maps with mods.
Piine

Dexus wrote:

ignoring the thread and replying to op, tl;dr

Hidden does nothing but help you read hidden.

It's a different obstacle to overcome. If anything it can help with multitasking as in reading ahead of the notes and trying to read the placement. This is really easy when you play with high AR as there are less notes ahead to read.

If anything you'll be better of learning to hear your mistakes and correct them, OD and all that doesn't do anything but slap your wrist and say you're wrong without saying why. HR, yes it does help with acc and aim, but again playing HR helps you read HR, not much outside of it. You can honestly hone all your skills with either no mods or DT and then play a variety of maps with a variety of difficulty settings. So it'd be better to build a good foundation before jumping head first into mods and possibly damaging your ability to read / play the game correctly.

I find it better to play no mod maps that are more difficult and challenging than dwell on easy maps with mods.
Pretty much this as well as some what Nath said.
I only play CTB with Hidden and I got twice as better. Same as osu!standard.
minatoaqua1

Kyofo wrote:

Just a quick question c:.. Since so many people say listen to the rhythm of the song, so hidden forces you to do that. So in the long run, would the hidden mod help my accuracy?
Hidden makes the game 10x easier, you don't have approach circles covering your face. Approach circles make it harder to play sometimes.
KupcaH

bobbybenny12 wrote:

Kyofo wrote:

Just a quick question c:.. Since so many people say listen to the rhythm of the song, so hidden forces you to do that. So in the long run, would the hidden mod help my accuracy?
Hidden makes the game 10x easier, you don't have approach circles covering your face. Approach circles make it harder to play sometimes.
That's why there are so many nomod players! Because they want to play game 10x harder!

Also, next time look to the date of first post before posting.
mulraf
this is not facts; i can only share my own experience:

i used to be a main hidden player, but actually my acc was terrible. it didn't really get better and i thought i'd just become ming nr. 2. but someday i read the improvement guide by korliak. hhe say, if you want to learn hardrock (hr) then don't play it with hidden, you're not here to learn hidden. since i wanted to learn hr i followed his instrutction. i didn't end up learning hr. but playing hr without hidden has tremendously increased my acc. i've barely touched hidden since then and i definitely se small results.

sorry for typos, on smartphone rn
KupcaH
:hang:
Barusamikosu
Hidden helps lower my accuracy :lol:
pandaBee
:(
Kondou-Shinichi
depends
Akanagi
Yes, and no.

HD is primarily suck.
ploxyzero
No, it doesn't. I literally ALWAYS play hidden btw lol.

What'll help is playing maps you can get through easily and really focus on trying to SS them. Hitsounds are pretty critical imo, so being able to identify whether you're hitting early or late is the single most important skill you can have for improving acc imo! Once you can do that, it's just a matter of practice. Also maybe playing with tighter timing windows could help (HR or high OD), because then it'll be much more obvious when your acc is off and you can correct it.

This is a bit of a stretch, but playing other rhythm games definitely helps too. I play a lot of DDR, so my acc was well over 99% when I first started osu (since I already knew how to keep rhythm).
Ninonuko
nomod or hr only is more manly
Barusamikosu

Ninonuko wrote:

nomod or hr only is more manly
💪
Fxjlk
necromancy in 2018
Vuelo Eluko

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

it's very much readable
hello 19 year old me
glad to not be working in that shoe store anymore i bet eh
ASF12

Kyofo wrote:

KupcaH
are u high
E m i

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

it's very much readable
hello 19 year old me
glad to not be working in that shoe store anymore i bet eh
u know your first post in this thread was made 1 day after i started playing osu

i was 14 years 1 month 1 day old 8-)
Zephyrott
It actually does help in my experience, especially playing 5 or 6 star maps. Seeing too many circles in the screen can be quite confusing tbh I play better with hidden, in fact I play hidden all the time :P.

Not sure about the other game modes tho, I only play mania and osu!

(If only I can get my scores online m(- 3-)m, I play offline)