forum

Which is REALLY the right path?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheTrueNorth
As someone who enjoys playing multiplayer often with friends, with randoms, or with anyone... I come across a lot of people who are good at the game in many different ways, whether it be accuracy, streaming, jumping or just holding a combo...

Everyone improves in this game through different means, like repeating stupidly hard songs over and over, or simply SS'ing a bunch of songs, setting records and gradually getting better over time.

I've heard that 'fast improving' through grinding hard songs to get faster can affect your consistency, and some people regret learning that way...

:?: I have a couple of questions, if anyone does not mind answering: :?:

What does it mean to be inconsistent? People who are 'inconsistent' seem to always floor me in multiplayer games, even those who are a much lower (worse) ranking than I am...

Is the 'slow' approach in which I play songs that I'm able to pass, but not in my comfort zone for a better approach, or is it down to opinion?

Is playing songs I enjoy on AR10 to learn AR10 a good method to improvement of reaction?

I enjoy playing all sorts of maps, don't get me wrong, I don't play to win, but winning is fun too, right? :D

I know there's like a billion of these threads, and I have read into as much as I can, but these questions still burn in my mind
Ethelon
Well it's performance ranking not skill ranking, not to say that they aren't related, but they aren't the same.
You might have better performances than another player, but unless you're both playing at the skill level of your best performances all the time, it's not an entirely fair comparison. That's where inconsistency between your best performances and the current level you're playing at comes in.

Opinion

It depends. There's more than one method, and I'm not really comfortable with AR10 yet so I'll leave it to others. There are ARs in-between that can also help you work your way up to AR10.
TheVileOne
I don't think you should be worrying about reacting at AR 10 levels yet. (I question whether it would truly help since aim is more important than reaction and changing AR doesn't improve aim). I suggest playing double time if you want to work on your reaction time (and aim as well).
nooblet
Jumping head-first into AR10 is probably one of the worst things you could do. It will ruin your sense of rhythm and turn it into purely reaction, rendering you completely helpless in high-difficulty AR8 maps.

I suggest playing a fair share of AR8 to get to know how to truly follow the rhythm instead of the approach circles first, then doing AR9 since it's the most common AR for insanes. There's already enough in t/201141&start=0 to tell you about AR10.
Yano
Focusing on playing AR10 is one of the worst things ... it will help you to DT easy AR8 and AR9 Maps but will lower you reading Skills in harder AR8 Maps (High BPM). I made the fault so I decide to be a DT-Player. I begin from time to time to learn DT AR8 Maps sorted by BPM to play DT AR9 Maps.

Don't misunderstand me, I can play AR8 and AR9 but it's incredible hard for me to FC a AR9 Map and also to FC AR9 Maps bcs of the lower reaction and the better reading you need. I'm enjoying playing AR10 or harder AR9 Maps and like to learn FCing Maps but FCing means also to have good reading skills what I don't have . I'm insanely fast confused by high BPM low AR Maps .

Just a advice: Better you learn reading and FCing Maps and not reacting to fast Maps
Clappy

Celesti3k wrote:

As someone who enjoys playing multiplayer often with friends, with randoms, or with anyone... I come across a lot of people who are good at the game in many different ways, whether it be accuracy, streaming, jumping or just holding a combo...

Everyone improves in this game through different means, like repeating stupidly hard songs over and over, or simply SS'ing a bunch of songs, setting records and gradually getting better over time.

I've heard that 'fast improving' through grinding hard songs to get faster can affect your consistency, and some people regret learning that way...

:?: I have a couple of questions, if anyone does not mind answering: :?:

What does it mean to be inconsistent? People who are 'inconsistent' seem to always floor me in multiplayer games, even those who are a much lower (worse) ranking than I am...

Is the 'slow' approach in which I play songs that I'm able to pass, but not in my comfort zone for a better approach, or is it down to opinion?

Is playing songs I enjoy on AR10 to learn AR10 a good method to improvement of reaction?

I enjoy playing all sorts of maps, don't get me wrong, I don't play to win, but winning is fun too, right? :D

I know there's like a billion of these threads, and I have read into as much as I can, but these questions still burn in my mind

Well I wish I could take back my months of playing nothing, but ar 9 because I am as nooblet said, helpless in the face of high diffuculty ar 8 maps such Nh22 - Corrosion and to make matters worse, im not good enough to hard rock it either, slower is better imo, if you spend time playing harder maps you will progress faster but, its like building a skyscraper on soft soil.
Bweh
Learn to read, then work on reaction speed for higher AR

Develop your skills and muscles to be fast and precise
Karuta-_old_1

nooblet wrote:

Jumping head-first into AR10 is probably one of the worst things you could do. It will ruin your sense of rhythm and turn it into purely reaction, rendering you completely helpless in high-difficulty AR8 maps.

I suggest playing a fair share of AR8 to get to know how to truly follow the rhythm instead of the approach circles first, then doing AR9 since it's the most common AR for insanes. There's already enough in http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/201141&start=0 to tell you about AR10.
People jumping head-first will cry when they play AR9 and below, which is something I wouldn't want since it will greatly limit songs that I can play well at.

Here is an example of what people plays 4 years ago with low AR and high difficulty (Madness diff): https://osu.ppy.sh/b/37433&m=0
Yauxo
About the AR10 question:

I wasnt able to play AR10 till 1 week ago and I didnt really need it to get to my rank. I recently started to learn HDHR, which has AR 9,7 (iirc) and that made me able to play AR10 too. Most Insane and Extra maps use AR9, AR10 is mostly used for very very very hard Extra/Qualified/Pending4evur maps.

Short: Learn AR9, AR10 comes with HDHR on rank ~3k-5k

Consistency:

You're consistent when you're able to play a song over and over again while keeping a high acc% and a high or full combo. Inconcistency is when you tend to misplay parts from time to time (pass, fail, fail, low% pass, fail, low%pass etc).
You'll get consistent by learning how to play different combos or the song in general.
nooblet

Yauxo wrote:

About the AR10 question:

I wasnt able to play AR10 till 1 week ago and I didnt really need it to get to my rank. I recently started to learn HDHR, which has AR 9,7 (iirc)

Short: Learn AR9, AR10 comes with HDHR on rank ~3k-5k
Plz

Also, AR10 comes whenever you feel like learning it, doesn't have anything to do with rank. I lose to pretty much everyone (people in the 5-digits too) on anything AR10, don't really care. The thing is, you should probably make sure you can still play AR 8 and 9 without failing miserably to read them.

FFS why do people care so much about AR10? Go play OD10 or something.
Blueprint
Everybody want's speed I suppose :P, I would to but I'm busy with other things
Topic Starter
TheTrueNorth

nooblet wrote:

Plz

Also, AR10 comes whenever you feel like learning it, doesn't have anything to do with rank. I lose to pretty much everyone (people in the 5-digits too) on anything AR10, don't really care. The thing is, you should probably make sure you can still play AR 8 and 9 without failing miserably to read them.

After your first post, I read your forum signature and realized I can play high OD (not OD:10, but OD:8)

It's fun to go into multiplayer, type in the search box: OD>7, AR<7 and see people say that the map is too hard lol
Yauxo

nooblet wrote:

Plz
The same day I took a look into that, my theory was complete bull. (why did I believe this ;w;) ( http://puu.sh/8ibu7 as an example)

People care about AR10 because people are more likely to notice the AR difference over the OD difference. AR9 is also heavily used on insane maps, where OD 9/10 is rather rare to see. OD 7/8 is the standard I believe.
10crystalmask01

nooblet wrote:

Plz

So true.
Tari
I dont think anything is wrong with you at all, the new pp system just enforces the idea of playing maps in your comfort zone, and really can hull your capabilities, you need to get out of that zone because you wont get anywhere by playing songs you can pass, eventually you will reach your limit pp wise and you will get bored. Thats why its best to just play songs and maps you like, so you can challenge your capabilities and shine and of course enjoy yourself along the way, which will give you a stronger incentive to play.
nrl

nooblet wrote:

FFS why do people care so much about AR10?
Because HRing a garden-variety insane gets you AR10 (and likely OD9.7) and DTing a garden-variety insane gets you either AR9.6 or AR10.3. People don't obsess over high AR because they want to, they do so because contemporary mapping convention necessitates it. Past a certain point, shying away from ARs higher than 9 will either prevent you from ranking up or severely limit your map selection, so it behooves every serious player to learn it eventually.
Soarezi
AR9.67 is nowhere near as hard as AR10. God i hate high AR so much, every single fucking AR 10.3 map i've changed to AR8, increased the playability drastically (90-92% to 98%+)
nooblet

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

nooblet wrote:

FFS why do people care so much about AR10?
Because HRing a garden-variety insane gets you AR10 (and likely OD9.7) and DTing a garden-variety insane gets you either AR9.6 or AR10.3. People don't obsess over high AR because they want to, they do so because contemporary mapping convention necessitates it. Past a certain point, shying away from ARs higher than 9 will either prevent you from ranking up or severely limit your map selection, so it behooves every serious player to learn it eventually.
You're exaggerating it way too much.

Here. t/201141&start=15

At a certain point as in... once you reach rank 300? Seriously, there are only a handful of AR10 maps, and even less good ones. AR10 and 10+ is not a requirement to play this game. If you've played enough to reach rank 300, well, like the people in the linked thread say, you'll be able to half-assedly play AR10 because of all the AR 9+2/3's played in the process. If you're top 100 and you can't play AR10, it'd probably prevent you from ranking up, and perhaps slightly limit map selection at that point, but you're still exaggerating it way too much. There's a grand total of 13 maps with AR10 on osu!tp, three of which are bullshit and one's unranked, so less than 10 maps. I don't consider that severely limiting my map selection.
nrl

nooblet wrote:

There's a grand total of 13 maps with AR10 on osu!tp, three of which are bullshit and one's unranked, so less than 10 maps. I don't consider that severely limiting my map selection.
You've completely missed the point. No-mod plays, at any AR, are only going to get you so far.