forum

is muscle memory important?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pannari
Imagine muscle memory as not having to think about your cursor placement, but being able to know where to cursor is when you lift down your pen somewhere.
Vuelo Eluko
it doesnt matter muscle memory only gets in the way at the highest level play so always change your area
Akali

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

it doesnt matter muscle memory only gets in the way at the highest level play so always change your area
I vary my area and change my muscular memory depending on the map type. On jump maps like Can't Beat Airman I do small area so I'm superfast! On stream maps like scarlet rose I don't hover and increase area to give me this feel of drawing during the streams. The most tricky part is adjusting to taiko - I completely unplug the tablet (decreasing the active area to 0) and play with keyboard only.
Vuelo Eluko

Akali wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

I vary my area and change my muscular memory depending on the map type. On jump maps like Can't Beat Airman I do small area so I'm superfast! On stream maps like scarlet rose I don't hover and increase area to give me this feel of drawing during the streams. The most tricky part is adjusting to taiko - I completely unplug the tablet (decreasing the active area to 0) and play with keyboard only.
yeah, this is how it's done. I think more people would find they can reach that next level of play if they took advice like this to heart.
I personally use tablet for taiko too but that's just me.
those super low travel keys on the side are super stronk
RaneFire
Muscle memory is not important at all. If you move your pen in the general direction, you cursor should get the basic idea and move to the next note by itself.
DJAlex
Muscule Memory = Most important thing apart from Rhythm

Rhythm > Muscule Memory > Anything
GoldenWolf

RaneFire wrote:

Muscle memory is not important at all. If you move your pen in the general direction, you cursor should get the basic idea and move to the next note by itself.
B1rd
I used to think it was important, but then I tried changing my sensitivity and retrying a song and I did pretty much the same.
AmaiHachimitsu
I'm sorry for being an elitist scumbag, but people just won't believe you because you're beginner.

+ the reason that after changing sensitivity you still managed to play is also because of muscle memory. Well, there's also a possibility that you have never obtained something like that, thus no difference. You're like under 400 playcount so yeah.
Karuta-_old_1
muscle memory not only helps me to hit 300's but also missing at the same places, so my accuracy increases but my combo stays the same lol
Rewben2

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

muscle memory not only helps me to hit 300's but also missing at the same places, so my accuracy increases but my combo stays the same lol
Wait, what? Muscle memory is about aiming, accuracy is based on rhythm and hitting the notes at the right time, you don't get muscle memory for rhythm. Muscle memory is developed by the repetition of tasks and pretty much means your muscles remember how to do it, at least from what I know. I don't think being able to keep a beat is part of muscle memory at all.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong?
GoldenWolf

Rewben2 wrote:

You are :>
Rewben2

GoldenWolf wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

You are :>
Oh? I always thought muscle memory was solely about... well... the memories for your muscles. Like knowing the exact distance you have to move your mouse to get a specific distance on your monitor, or doing something that you've done a lot like entering a bank pin. Your muscles can replicate the movements from having done it repetitively.

A sense of rhythm isn't something that would be considered muscle memory. Playing a specific beatmap or streaming a specific bpm may be because your muscles can remember the movements needed from having done it before, but accuracy? I don't know. That's just my take on it from having read about muscle memory, I don't see how hitting accurately is something that your muscles can "remember" in a way.
RaneFire

Rewben2 wrote:

Oh? I always thought muscle memory was solely about... well... the memories for your muscles. Like knowing the exact distance you have to move your mouse to get a specific distance on your monitor, or doing something that you've done a lot like entering a bank pin. Your muscles can replicate the movements from having done it repetitively.
Keeping a consistent beat is muscle memory from doing it repeatedly. There are more factors than just distance. Speed, timing accuracy and affinity to your muscles improve as well, which in turn improves reflex times and allows you to perform motions faster as your affinity improves.

Also Yummy's case is what some people refer to as rote memory, playing a song repeatedly and finding that there is an error in your muscle "memory" for some reason, so you keep repeating the same mistake time and time again. The best (but boring) way to fix it is to keep trying and consciously focus on what you are doing wrong, even slowing it down if necessary and speeding it up again after a session of repetitive boring practice doing it correctly many times in a row, ingraining a new muscle memory. The problem with doing this though, is that it affects the rest of your muscle memory because now you have too much affinity to a certain movement of muscles.

The chances of it fixing itself are reasonably good by diversifying your muscle memory on different songs and getting everything else better, but you may still experience the same mistake for weeks or months to come until it finally fixes itself.
Rewben2

RaneFire wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

Keeping a consistent beat is muscle memory from doing it repeatedly. There are more factors than just distance. Speed, timing accuracy and affinity to your muscles improve as well, which in turn improves reflex times and allows you to perform motions faster as your affinity improves.

Also Yummy's case is what some people refer to as rote memory, playing a song repeatedly and finding that there is an error in your muscle "memory" for some reason, so you keep repeating the same mistake time and time again. The best (but boring) way to fix it is to keep trying and consciously focus on what you are doing wrong, even slowing it down if necessary and speeding it up again after a session of repetitive boring practice doing it correctly many times in a row, ingraining a new muscle memory. The problem with doing this though, is that it affects the rest of your muscle memory because now you have too much affinity to a certain movement of muscles.

The chances of it fixing itself are reasonably good by diversifying your muscle memory on different songs and getting everything else better, but you may still experience the same mistake for weeks or months to come until it finally fixes itself.
Ahh, I see what you mean by hitting a consistent beat is still considered muscle memory. But the term alone, rhythm, do you think it would still be considered muscle memory even if you're sightreading? Even if you went from playing one instrument to another, your ability to play in time wouldn't go away, despite playing a different instrument that requires different actions.
RaneFire

Rewben2 wrote:

Ahh, I see what you mean by hitting a consistent beat is still considered muscle memory. But the term alone, rhythm, do you think it would still be considered muscle memory even if you're sightreading? Even if you went from playing one instrument to another, your ability to play in time wouldn't go away, despite playing a different instrument that requires different actions.
Correct. As discussed many times before, your ability to interpret rhythm is mostly a mental skill, but putting it into action with the needed muscles is something that can be adapted to a new instrument or game. You may not be anywhere near as good at first, but the rate of improvement will be much faster than starting from scratch without any sense of rhythm.
GoldenWolf
Rhythm is rhythm indeed, it can carry over different things than needs rhythm (like going from taiko to mania or standard), but your accuracy is also based on your muscle memory, if you try using your other hand that never had to click circles, chances are you will fail horribly at doing so even if you know what to do, but it will also be easier to learn to click them faster since you have a clue about rhythm
Karuta-_old_1
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm gonna quote this if anyone's asking about muscle memory again.
Vuelo Eluko

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm gonna quote this if anyone's asking about muscle memory again.
'specially mine and akali's posts
tsundoll
It is in every game mode. Speaking from catch the beat experience, muscle memory is what allows you to tackle high AR songs, hit hyperdashes consistently, and play hidden. New players often stare at their catcher and react slow because of that. Eventually you stop looking down there except for the occasional glance.

In mania and taiko it's the same. You should be seeing notes before you hit them, not as you hit them.
[ Stellar ]
Why would you ask this when you're ranked 10k on standard.....
You should have found the answer yourself already smh :roll:

Muscle memory is essential, because of the ability to understand how far you have to move in order to hit a note.
aizhid
I think reading and movement is more important.