forum

"Condense" Storyboard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
awp
Right now, whenever a storyboard is saved from within osu!, it automatically condenses the SB: changes all integer values to keywords (eg '4' becomes "Sprite" in the 4,0,0,"path\thing.png",0,0 line), removes all non-default comments, and optimizes lines of code (eg _F,0,1000,1000,0.5,0.5 becomes _F,0,1000,,0.5,). Basically, osu! removes everything that isn't necessary for the storyboard's operation.

While it's nice to have this feature, I personally would prefer to specify when to do this, rather than having osu! do it automatically. I don't know about anybody else, but I put comment blocks/headers etc in my SB code and like having certain shorthands condensed (osu! automatically expands certain short-hands into usable script commands) due to the volatile nature of SB creation. I also mix the location of different instructions so that they're sorted by timeline first and layer second, something else that osu! will promptly fix as it's a human preference and the program is above that. As a result of this preference, I find it necessary to manually back up the storyboards (or just use osu! and my .osb with great care) that I'm working on to prevent osu! from optimizing them prematurely. All I ask for (in this particular request) is a button that takes the place of automatically optimizing/condensing the .osb without the end-user's permission.
K2J
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I support this, but I really really really doubt support to not rewrite the storyboard will be added (because I suspect comments and things aren't tokenized and thus not output).

Currently I'm completely manually scripting and using my program to write a .osq file (not mangled by osu!) to a .osu file (which is overwritten when changes to the .osq script are made). No need to keep the .osb open in my text editor when mapping in case the .osb is overwritten.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
K2J

peppy wrote:

I may force it to be rewritten on submission (which won't affect your local copy).
As long as it doesn't change the actual instructions, I'm fine with this. Is the SBE removing instructions (e.g., trigger loops, LoopOnce instead of LoopForever) a separate issue?
peppy
If it is, then it should be reported as a bug.
Topic Starter
awp

peppy wrote:

I may force it to be rewritten on submission (which won't affect your local copy).
If it doesn't affect the local copy, I got nooooo complaints. Thanks for this.
YoshiKart
YES, please. :) No complaints from me for submission as well. I always had to keep notepad++ handy when trying to upload an SB without "condensing".