forum

Health problems from playing osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
What are some health problems you can get? I know you can fuck up your wrist, tire out your forearm and bicep lose eyesight and all that. I know some people quit osu because of hand/eye problems. Any tips on protecting yourself from osu?

anyone get seizures?
Noobita
mental health problems
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor

Noobita wrote:

mental health problems
This is true.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor

BRBP wrote:

Playing osu! exposes you to anime, and in the worst case you might actually start watching anime.
That gives you cancer.
is this thelewa speaking
Soarezi
RSI and massive depression
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
RSI?
Gawthax
The only "health problem" that I've noticed comes from really long play sessions with very limited breaks which makes the muscles in my forearm start to cramp up a little bit.
If you keep playing through the pain and cramped forearm I suspect that you could cause some muscular damage (haven't tried this one).

The way to combat this (for me, at least) was to thoroughly stretch my forearms and my fingers daily and do a little bit of stretching before playing sessions and occasionally take short breaks and stretch out my forearms.

Learning to stretch properly really improved my osu!-experience as it fixed most of my previous forearm issues and dramatically increased the mobility of my wrist (can now use tablets areas twice as big as I could previously without any pain).

Previous Issues
I had some issues with tight and cramped forearm muscles even before starting with osu! from years in front of my PC. Even though all the stretching pretty much fixed my forearm it occasionally starts to cramp up (not as in a full on painful cramps but the muscle becomes tighter and range of motion becomes limited) from longer playing sessions. The more I play after the muscle starts to feel "tighter" the tighter it becomes until the muscle is painfully cramping, so I just stop as soon as I feel a muscle in my forearm starting to feel tense/tight. Then I stretch affected muscles and wait for them to "return to normal" before playing again (30 minutes-about a day depending on how soon I stop playing after the tightness feeling appears).

Not sure if osu! alone would cause these problems but it did make them a lot worse for me, so I would assume that enough "improper" playing would start cramping up forearms and hands even on someone without any preexisting issues.

I would recommend that most osu!-players who don't already know this to look up how to properly stretch the different muscles in your hands and forearms, especially if you have either limited wrist mobility, tight forearm muscles or experience pain in your forearm/hand/wrist while playing.

And also, take frequent short breaks and just stretch out tight muscles while playing.

**I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS JUST WHAT WORKED FOR ME.**

*Sorry for wall of text

TL;DR:
Learn how to stretch properly, greatly improved my osu! for me.
AmaiHachimitsu
Just don't play like crazy.

But on the other hand, playing like crazy is the way to improve.

Game itself doesn't fuck up your vision, it's the sheer fact that you use computer. I'd even say osu! can make your vision better in some aspects, but your eyes might get tired or dry or whatever.

Just care about your hands and spine (keep your posture straight).
DENKOUSEKKA
Carpal Tunnel
Hanyuu
wtf
[ Stellar ]
How to protect yourself from these problems? Quit osu!.
Piine

[ Stellar ] wrote:

Seems legit, but you are a crazy old man/woman so no. I do keep myself on IRC and take long breaks from gameplay
B1rd

[ Stellar ] wrote:

I don't think this is possible. Osu! is addictive, like a drug.
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
amai what are your health issues
Karuta-_old_1
Make sure you still sleep and eat properly, osu sometimes makes me skip my meals and sometimes insomniac because I have Image Material playing in my head while trying to sleep
[ Stellar ]
In all seriousness, if you want to avoid problems that could damage your health, you need to learn when to stop.
If you feel pain in your tendons, then that is a signal to take a break.
Play smart. Don't be an addict.
AmaiHachimitsu

AnimeHonor wrote:

amai what are your health issues
carpal tunnel :<
Pizzicato
i actually got healthier just have to stay away from the community
Rewben2
Most of the problems you'd get (namely eye issues) are due to poor monitor/computer usage, nothing related to osu!. I think you're a bit more prone to RSI from playing osu! compared to other games due to it's intensity, few other games require you to click as fast and as constantly.
deletemyaccount
Eyesight already sucks

Theres no turning back now
show more