forum

Snapping to notes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Erikizdashiz
Hey guys!

I have noticed from a lot of great mouse players (Gokuri, for example) that they snap from note to note, meaning, they move their cursor in a fast, straight line from one note to the next. My cursor movement, one the other hand, is slower from note to note, and more wobbly. I tried some two or three weeks back to try and learn to snap from note to note myself, but after a couple of days I felt like I had lost alot of my precise aim, and it didn't feel natural to use the mouse at all. Allthough I could see some improvements in doing triangles and squares, I decided to try and tune the snapping down again because my aim in general had become worse.

I still feel like snapping is vital to "master" the game, though. So for those of you who do snap to notes efficiently: Did snapping come natural to you after playing the game alot, or did you have to make a conscious effort in order to start snapping? And if the latter: how did you go about learning it?
Saint_old

Erikizdashiz wrote:

Did snapping come natural to you after playing the game alot
i did not know the term until like 3 months ago, so probably

if you don't like playing mouse just get a tablet and stop listening to people
Lach
I feel like snapping came naturally to me when playing mouse because of how low my DPI is (600-800). Snapping isn't really a required technique or anything, there's lots of maps that are easily playable with fluidity in movement. You don't have to mimic playstyles to become a better player because what works for one person may not work for you. I know I can't 'snap' with tablet because my wrists aren't very strong, so flowy gameplay comes naturally, and it works fine.
winber1
though generally it's pretty damn hard to play large square and such without snapping. still possible, but hard.

silynn's cursor movements still make no sense to me
Syden
If you search, regardless of mouse or tablet, you're just going to hear that it makes you better, or at least have better accuracy. Also looks pretty cool.
B1rd
Honestly this is the last thing you should worry about. IMO you shouldn't even bother paying any attention what your cursor's doing, just focus on hitting the notes.
As you get better you will snap more fluidly. And when you get to the faster songs you won't have time to do anything but a fast snap anyway.
nrl
I've always been told snapping meant arriving at the note before you have to hit it, and that the rigid motions typically associated with snapping were just the result of that.
Dexus
well, you should at least focus on aiming for the center of notes.
Blueprint
Playing with my mouse is unplayable if I don't snap everything I also have to use spin out
Horolynn

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

I've always been told snapping meant arriving at the note before you have to hit it, and that the rigid motions typically associated with snapping were just the result of that.
That's basically the same thing. You move your cursor from one note to another in one, quick, "snappy" motion as soon as you are done clicking the previous one. This causes you to arrive at the next note before you need to hit it.
nocipher
I find snapping to notes to be critical for executing jumps properly. I had to spend a few weeks dedicated to practice to finally get my snapping somewhat decent. One of the things that really helped me was playing maps that were much lower than the difficulty I normally played on. It made it much easier to control everything. If I missed something, it's because my technique was off. I couldn't hide behind the difficulty. This practice culminated in to playing 3 or 4 maps at each AR, slowing increasing as I FC'd maps. If nothing else, it made for a pretty good warm up.
Bonsai
Until last christmas i was a mouse (+kb) player and just randomly realized that i was snapping one day (although i didn't know that term back then either) but now i got a tablet and just can't snap at all
Allthough when i'm bored and i change to mouse again i suddenly snap even more extremely, and i have absolutely no idea where that comes from :o
Blueprint

Dexus wrote:

well, you should at least focus on aiming for the center of notes.
Sadly for me this requires me to stare at my cursor ( dead centre)
JerseyJackal
Hm... I noticed I definitely snap far more than move slowly. I believe some maps simply require snapping, such as two sliders spaced and 1/4 apart, but for the most part, watching auto attempt maps, snapping is not REQUIRED per say, but if not snapping, considerable precision and movement consistency is needed. However, you should definitely learn to play within your comfort zone, regardless of what a majority of players do. Who knows? You could inspire people to try your method if it ends up somehow being more effective than the current standards...