forum

Malcolm Brown - Showtime (From MS Paint Adventures)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MrCheeze_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on December 12, 2009 at 7:35:45 PM

Artist: Malcolm Brown
Title: Showtime
Source: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/
Tags: MS Paint Adventures Strife Homestuck Strife Jailbreak Bard Quest Problem Sleuth Showtime John Egbert Sburb Boss Fight Battle Dad Epic
BPM: 180
Filesize: 4549kb
Play Time: 01:58
Difficulties Available:
  1. 52 Pickup (1.49 stars, 113 notes)
  2. Destined to Lose (5 stars, 374 notes)
  3. Haunting Refrain (2.99 stars, 146 notes)
  4. Level Up (4.16 stars, 197 notes)
  5. Soaprman Modus (4.91 stars, 298 notes)
Download: Malcolm Brown - Showtime
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Alright, so as you probably don't know unless I linked you here, this music is from an online album of music from a comic called Homestuck (that has really awesome music and flash and stuff sometimes) from a series of comic-things called MS Paint Adventures from a thing called the internet. It is kind of really awesome and if you want you can check it out at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?viewpage=new or see more of the music from it at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/soundcredits.html (Check out: Sburban Jungle, Upward Movement, and Explore) and anyway this is hopefully the first of a series oh and also yes the top difficulty is supposed to be basically impossible if you're wondering.

(Update: Soaprman's difficulty added)
Matma Rex
I have already told you not to use http:// address as Source. Use "MS Paint Adventures" or "Homestuck", everybody can google it.
Matma Rex
And now for some more modding!

Bold = important.

[Overall]
spinner-circle is ugly. If you want to make custom one, use only these green lines.
Remove grey combo color, four are enough and gray is gonna cause confusion in multiplayer TAG games.
This storyboarded note and ending background at the end feel stupid for me.
That's a nice map, but you could try to place notes in some patterns - triangles, squares, straight lines or nice curves.

[52 Pickup]
00:00:070 (1,2,1) - I really hate random placement of these notes. Place them in corners, or in the middle, anything, but not randomly. It hurts my eyes.
00:38:003 (1) - 1/2 longer.

01:10:003 (1,2,1) - I really hate random placement of these notes. Place them in corners, or in the middle, anything, but not randomly. It hurts my eyes.
01:31:036 (1) - this slider "wiggles". Remove point in the middle.

[Haunting Refrain]
00:35:086 (4,5,6,7,8) - stacks make it hard to read. Unstack.
00:36:028 (6) - I'd place it 1/4 earlier.
00:40:069 (4,5) - that pause between them shoud totally be mapped. I suggest to place there another slider like 4 or 5.

00:46:094 (3) - once again, I'd place it 1/4 earlier. I agree that it fits here, but IMO it fits there better :)
00:55:036 (2) - will look better if you tweaked it to make ticks land in corners.
00:58:003 (5) - I suggest to make it 1/1 longer or to place note at 00:59:003.

[Level Up]

00:55:036 (2) - will look better if you tweaked it to make ticks land in corners.
01:52:069 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - OMG NO! If you want to emphasize it, make combos 4- or 2-notes long, but not one!

[Destined to Lose]
Jesus Christ. Setting all difficulty setting to maximum is a Bad, Bad, Bad Idea. Look, even if you are SS-ing the map, at 00:16:699 you have less that 1/3 on life!
Fix spacing in that difficulty (you might need to turn off grid snapping - when notes are close on timeline, it can mess all spacing up).
This diff is totally weird. In one place, you have 128-notes long 1/2 stream (and with BPM 180 notes are relly close time-wise) and in other you have less than one note per second. I'd suggest some remapping.
Matma Rex
And one more thing: recompressed set of background images. I managed to lower their size from ~3 MB to 2.30 MB with no quality loss.ATTACH[recomp.rar]

Just replace your current ones with these.

edit: I just noticed that after7.png in that archive is corrupted, here's the right one:
Topic Starter
MrCheeze_old
spinner-circle is ugly. If you want to make custom one, use only these green lines.
Trust me, that looks worse. If I knew how to make a better one I would, but this is still better than nothing for what I'm going for.
Remove grey combo color, four are enough and gray is gonna cause confusion in multiplayer TAG games.
:( Fine.
Read the comic.
That's a nice map, but you could try to place notes in some patterns - triangles, squares, straight lines or nice curves.
Yeah very true.
I thought I fixed those... oh well.
01:52:069 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - OMG NO! If you want to emphasize it, make combos 4- or 2-notes long, but not one!
Getting rid of the fifth colour ruins the effect I was going for anyway, so k.
Jesus Christ. Setting all difficulty setting to maximum is a Bad, Bad, Bad Idea.[/b] Look, even if you are SS-ing the map, at 00:16:699 you have less that 1/3 on life! This diff is totally weird. In one place, you have 128-notes long 1/2 stream (and with BPM 180 notes are relly close time-wise) and in other you have less than one note per second. I'd suggest some remapping.
That's basically the point.

Oh and I appreciate your help but changing the images means ANOTHER full submission, so not happening.

EDIT: It seems by browser broke cookies completely so I can't reply, but doesn't full submission make a separate copy of the beatmap?
Matma Rex

MrCheeze wrote:

Trust me, that looks worse. If I knew how to make a better one I would, but this is still better than nothing for what I'm going for.
You can try these green lines, but wider (~3px wide). I attached spinner-circle that I'd use (at the end of post).

Jesus Christ. Setting all difficulty setting to maximum is a Bad, Bad, Bad Idea.[/b] Look, even if you are SS-ing the map, at 00:16:699 you have less that 1/3 on life! This diff is totally weird. In one place, you have 128-notes long 1/2 stream (and with BPM 180 notes are relly close time-wise) and in other you have less than one note per second. I'd suggest some remapping.
That's basically the point.
That does not work, man. I've never yet seen a difficulty with all settings at maximum. That is just terribly wrong.

Read the comic.
Okay, I'm not gonna argue, but it has to be done better. Look at this map: Rihanna - Disturbia [Paranoia] - it has similar effect as you wanted, but circles are exactly the same ones as used in the map. You might want to copypaste some storyboard, or ask Larto how was it done.

Oh and I appreciate your help but changing the images means ANOTHER full submission, so not happening.
What's so bad in full submission? Even on my crappy PC with crappy connection it had never taken more than 10 minutes. Do it, using these images will make the download faster.

awp
Confirming timing sounds fine, (I'd actually gotten 702 so +2ms lol) and boy do I not get what's going on.
Ledundead
One of my favorite maps to play in all of Osu!. I can't wait for your next venture into the MSPA soundtrack.
naproxenne
Imma just admit that well.

OH GOD BEATDOWN IS SOON RIGHT. <33
Soaprman
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: Malcolm Brown - Showtime (MrCheeze) [Soaprman Modus].osu
amjh
This beatmap is the reason I got osu!.

A lot better than many ranked maps I have played this far.
Kyoji
Man, why is this NOT ranked yet? It's freaking awesome. :(

I didn't even know it existed because of the way the beatmap search engine works until like... 15 minutes ago. :/
ISolvePractical
I just wanna say this is definitely one of my favorite beatmaps and wish it could be ranked because that would be awesome. but I guess that won't happen lol
Ithae
It's to bad this is graveyarded, it's quite good.
Thelostcup
This really shouldn't be in the graveyard.
Kitokofox
This is quite impressive. Me being an old Homestuck fan, actually like the layout of this map a little, and the theme that goes along with it. It would also be cool if you completed the skin with MSPA-like stuff, like the hit circles and the numbers.
The "Destine To Lose" map however, seems to rely on an maximally harsh setting just to be hard. It doesn't quite feel right. Even after the first break, the auto-player had an X on the screen just because of how harsh the HP-Drain is. I can barely see the fruits fall in CTB, and you can lose by simply not being in a part of the beatmap with a lot of steps. Instead of just beefing up an easy map with beatmap settings, why not make it harder stepwise? The settings weren't intended to be used this way. But that's my opinion, anyway.
The only sort of problem I note out with the map, is on the 4th difficulty Soaprman Modus, there's some random difficulty spikes in CTB mode. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm worried in case it wasn't intended. It does make the map challenging in CTB, and if you were meaning to make it a challenge, then by all means keep it. :)
This is a very well timed map, it has an interesting difficulty curve, fitting names, a good background to go along with it that's not too distracting. I think I'll put my vote in for this.
Soaprman
I'm not sure how often MrCheeze is around or whether he checks this thread. I only noticed it because I happened to see it had a post on the forum index by chance. :P

Re: CTB, I can honestly say I've never made a map with any regard to CTB at all. This is likely true of most mappers. If it plays badly in that mode, I wouldn't know.

Looking back, this map holds up pretty well for 2009. Not many things in my difficulty I'd really want to change if I made it today. :P
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.