The O.C. Supertones - I Can Be Your Friend

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jako87
Some serious stuff here :D
Lilac
Yeah, you deserved it.

If people want to nazi the SB, pop it, otherwise it's good enough for a rank.
James2250
hahaha why did I never see this
Larto
I can be your rank.

Also, I just lost the game.
Claudia_old
grats on ranking brah
Fight69
OMG YES !!!
Topic Starter
K2J
Woot!

Thanks for everyone's support. I was kinda fading there, so I really appreciate it.
rust45
Holy shit holy shit holy shit, I'm playing this as soon as I get home.
Lilac
Finally.

Good work on awesomeness and going down in osu! mapping history.
Sallad4ever
let's make this the most played map :)
James2250

Sallad4ever wrote:

let's make this the most played map :)
And highest user rating too!
Sinistro
Congratulations, this is an excellent creation :)

I only wish I weren't in the army all this time so I could have nazi'd the storyboard to death personally.

Still awesome ;p
Fight69

2 people cannot be our friend ;~;
Zerostarry
Brilliant :)
Topic Starter
K2J

Fight69 wrote:

The song is "I Can Be Your Friend", not "You Should Be My Friend". ;)
Arusha Shuna

Fight69 wrote:

antisocials
Derekku
Sorry that I didn't get to nazi the SB like I said I would (guess I'm in the same boat as Sinistro), but since I don't see any issues, I guess it wouldn't have mattered. xP

Congrats and nice job!~
Soaprman
so, is there any reason I now have "Agents Are Go.osu" in my map list? (viewing via edit mode) I almost want to map it...

edit: it fills "BanchoBot" in as the artist. what....
Derekku

Soaprman wrote:

so, is there any reason I now have "Agents Are Go.osu" in my map list? (viewing via edit mode) I almost want to map it...

edit: it fills "BanchoBot" in as the artist. what....
There's an mp3 of it in the Audio folder, but no .osu file.

Also, forgot to mention that the timing feels a bit early. I get +10 when testing, so can a BAT please confirm for an online offset?
Topic Starter
K2J
I think that's a known bug. BanchoBot is the artist because I made the file and set its author to be that (after all, in the lower three difficulties, BanchoBot is the one who says it).
eee
Congrats on the rank K2J. The last time I checked, the map was great. I haven't been on osu lately and am not sure when to find time to play this, but I will ASAP!
NoHitter
Congratulations.

SB'ing something like this takes time to do.
Mara
I <3 this.
Explorer09
I don't like this beatmap at all, not because of the idea to be friends, but....

(criticism begins)

1. Music - I cannot hear the music the first time I was playing. It's too quiet comparing to intro and outro musics and other sound effects. Make the volume up a bit?

2. Storyboard -
The graphic are rich but every 'piece' of them is in low quality. What I mean 'low quality' is the following.
(a) Hand-drawn shapes have pixel edges. It looks as if it was drawn in MsPaint or other programs that don't support vector shapes.
(b) The coloring is not right. Generally it looks messed up. Also the texts in speech bubbles are over-colored.
(c) Some photos are not cropped correctly. There's no reason to have rectangle photos as faces.

3. Specific parts -
00:48 - 01:01 : The sign "battlefield ahead" in the background could be removed. It distracts me when watching the storyboard.
00:41 - 00:43 : Same as above. Also remove the tag "Shortly".
01:45 (third pause) : The failure part of the story saying that the rocket breaks doesn't connect to the later part, saying that people are launching the rocket.
-00:27 : The bubble "Holy Crap!" could be removed.
Topic Starter
K2J
Ranked/Approved Beatmaps
NotShinta

Explorer09 wrote:

2. Storyboard -
The graphic are rich but every 'piece' of them is in low quality. What I mean 'low quality' is the following.
(a) Hand-drawn shapes have pixel edges. It looks as if it was drawn in MsPaint or other programs that don't support vector shapes.
(b) The coloring is not right. Generally it looks messed up. Also the texts in speech bubbles are over-colored.
(c) Some photos are not cropped correctly. There's no reason to have rectangle photos as faces.
What's special about this map is everyone made the sprites themselves. Obviously, laziness and editing fails are going to occur.
Larto
GodDAMNIT you have an extremely high quality storyboard and you still get people complaining about silly stuff fuck you all
Topic Starter
K2J
I don't care how silly/pedantic/uninformed a comment is (though I may still choose to ignore it), as long as it's done at the right time.
LuigiHann
There is nothing wrong with commenting on a map after it's ranked. He's not telling you to fix it, he's telling you his opinion.

You can take that sort of thing into consideration when making future maps.

By the way, I think this SB is pretty charming and amusingly enthusiastic. The MS Paint style is hard to nail effectively and the use of it here isn't too bad all things considered, since the whole point of the characters is that they have avatars for heads
Topic Starter
K2J

LuigiHann wrote:

He's not telling you to fix it, he's telling you his opinion.
Looks pretty much like a regular mod post to me, with timestamps and suggestions of how to implement fixes.

Explorer09 wrote:

Make the volume up a bit?
00:48 - 01:01 : The sign "battlefield ahead" in the background could be removed. It distracts me when watching the storyboard.
I'm personally fine with people giving criticism, but you'd better be informed about the project and what I can do about it.

But hey! While I'm here:

Explorer09 wrote:

1. Music - I cannot hear the music the first time I was playing. It's too quiet comparing to intro and outro musics and other sound effects. Make the volume up a bit?
A minor issue that I had considered, but felt was not too relevant. Probably just me being used to hearing it that way all the time. It still seems OK to me.

Which "hand drawn" shapes? The backgrounds and the other things ripped straight out of a Gameboy Advance (or DS) game? Or the actual created images, like dialog boxes and text? Keep in mind that the theme isn't supposed to be 100% realistic or artistic, but sort of goofy.

(b) The coloring is not right. Generally it looks messed up.
Again, many of the graphics come from a video game with a limited pallet. However, most of the images have had their pallette reduced for filesize reasons. I tried to ignore the really obvious cases, but there might still be a bit of pixelation.

Also the texts in speech bubbles are over-colored.
The vast majority are in black and white...?

As mentioned, these were all user-generated.

3. Specific parts -
01:45 (third pause) : The failure part of the story saying that the rocket breaks doesn't connect to the later part, saying that people are launching the rocket.
These are all tropes and decisions that make sense given the map's EBA-style context. Many EBA stages feature text in the background (often very blatantly contextual text, like a road sign saying "20 miles until your house" or something). These are derived from the comic-book style used by EBA. The fail sequences not fully matching up with the next section's intro is also endemic in EBA.
James2250
(Don't really like seeing so many complaints on an awesome map/sb~)
Explorer09

K2J wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

He's not telling you to fix it, he's telling you his opinion.
Looks pretty much like a regular mod post to me, with timestamps and suggestions of how to implement fixes.
Sorry if I confused you all, but I like to say that way because (I wish) I would fix that way if I were you (the mapper). No offense was meant.
And it's too late, I know.

Which "hand drawn" shapes? The backgrounds and the other things ripped straight out of a Gameboy Advance (or DS) game? Or the actual created images, like dialog boxes and text? Keep in mind that the theme isn't supposed to be 100% realistic or artistic, but sort of goofy.
Actually I didn't mean those shapes ripped from the video games. I originally meant those user-generated "figures" or something like that, but it's not a serious thing.

Again, many of the graphics come from a video game with a limited pallet. However, most of the images have had their pallette reduced for filesize reasons. I tried to ignore the really obvious cases, but there might still be a bit of pixelation.
Different video games use different color schemes. And mixing those together will, I think, simply look not coordinating.
(not sure if my wording is correct)
IMO, one way to fix it is to lower the overall contrast or color saturation.

These are all tropes and decisions that make sense given the map's EBA-style context. Many EBA stages feature text in the background (often very blatantly contextual text, like a road sign saying "20 miles until your house" or something). These are derived from the comic-book style used by EBA.
Those I mentioned are obvious redundant things. e.g. For the sign "20 miles until your house" or "battlefield ahead", showing it once in the storyline should be enough. Unless you are showing that people are wandering around the sign, which I don't think it's the case. For the word "Shortly", isn't that obvious if you watch the story? IMO, the time is short enough so the word is useless.
The fail sequences not fully matching up with the next section's intro is also endemic in EBA.
I just think blowing the whole rocket up make no sense, that's it.
Topic Starter
K2J
Thanks for your clarification. I think I still disagree with you, but I can see where you're coming from.
Huskatron
1 thing, the description says "Meteor SMASH" instead of Meteor Crash.

~STAR~
AIR315
:)
Factorial
Hope more beatmaps like this :roll:
Shonnke
this is my frist A rank i can get it but im trying to be pro but nevermind i will buy osu tablet