forum

The O.C. Supertones - I Can Be Your Friend

posted
Total Posts
show more
NoHitter
General
Add m980 to tags
02:17:657 (1) - Move start of kiai here? Since the current kiai location is weird...

SB
Your background and the SB'd background are not aligned and look bad when you select it in play mode. (It looks like it shifts)

Veggin'
No background?
00:22:829 (2) - This plays awkwardly. Try increasing the distance between (1) and (2) or moving (2) 1/2 back.

Squeezin'
02:15:588 (1) - Slider at 02:15:795 instead of spinner?

iNiS980
02:30:898 (1) - Spinner covers the SB...

Will recheck tomorrow. Getting late.
mm201
980 degree oven HOT! was an awesome difficulty name. :?
Topic Starter
K2J

NoHItter wrote:

General
Add m980 to tags
Done.

02:17:657 (1) - Move start of kiai here? Since the current kiai location is weird...
I'll consider it.
SB
Your background and the SB'd background are not aligned and look bad when you select it in play mode. (It looks like it shifts)
This won't be a problem when the SB is done; currently the stage select BG is a placeholder. The final version will not look anything like the first storyboard scene, so this issue won't come up.

Veggin'
No background?
Some sort of saving problem deletes the stage select BG if I reference it in the SB. I made sure they were all OK this time before uploading, but I'll probably submit a bug report.

00:22:829 (2) - This plays awkwardly. Try increasing the distance between (1) and (2) or moving (2) 1/2 back.
Moved the first color combo a bit to be better-spaced, thanks.

Squeezin'
02:15:588 (1) - Slider at 02:15:795 instead of spinner?
Enlarged spinner to include earlier and later notes instead. I want there to be a spinner here, but maybe it will change.

iNiS980
02:30:898 (1) - Spinner covers the SB...
Not a big problem. All difficulties' final spinners cover SB events, and the one this one covers is relatively superfluous. If you want, think of it as an Easter Egg for CtB.
Larto
Modding when I have time. Leaving my eternal love and a star here
jameskong1
The background image is beautiful.
I love it .XD
star~~~ :)
Esupanitix
The timing is what you see in a general ranked map, I guess. It's worth a star. :3
NotShinta
Sexy shit
Xgor
Shouldn't the preview point be at 00:48:278?

Otherwise <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

*tons of kudosu stars*

(Also, it would be cool if you changed the bullet bill to the fish in You Goddamn Fish in one diff)
Mogsy
Fucking LOVE this song. Mapset is great, the SB is nice...damn, nice work. Only a few nitpicks at the moment. Might give a more detailed mod later.

General:
Set the preview point to 00:48:278.

iNiS980:
02:30:898 (1) - Throw a Finish on this. Not having one feels really weak, man.
Torran
http://up.ppy.sh/files/10559.7z

The images have been compressed (lossless) via IrfanView and Photoshop CS4.

Old Filesize: 17148kb
New Filesize: 12802kb

You save 4346kb by switching to GEICO.

Please make a backup in case you encounter problems. There should be no noticeable difference other than the filesize.

Starred~!
Topic Starter
K2J
Woah, thanks for the sudden influx of support! Let's see...

Xgor wrote:

Shouldn't the preview point be at 00:48:278?
Since both you and Mogs seem to think so, why not. I personally liked it starting in medias res, but that's just me.

(Also, it would be cool if you changed the bullet bill to the fish in You Goddamn Fish in one diff)
I may. But seeing your map raised another question to me: does this one require the epilepsy warning? I don't think it does, but yours has it...

Mogsworth wrote:

iNiS980:
02:30:898 (1) - Throw a Finish on this. Not having one feels really weak, man.
Done unless m980 overrules me.

soradg123 wrote:

Old Filesize: 17148kb
New Filesize: 12802kb

You save 4346kb by switching to GEICO.
Woah, what the- thanks! I had no idea I could cut it down that much. Unfortunately, thin stick-figure arms and legs don't go well with the compression, so for the larger crowd images I'm going to have to use the originals, bumping it up to about 14KB. That's a lot better than it was, though! Thanks a lot!
m980
[Choppin']
01:57:795 (1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2) - You thief.
Anyway. If you're going to keep that pattern, get rid of the stacks (02:00:485 (1,2) - ,02:03:795 (1,2) - ) Stacks wouldn't be there in Sweatin' if I were to make a difficulty set. And it's my pattern. Make your own pattern if you disagree. Seriously. I didn't appreciate the taking of my pattern. Just saying.

Also, I'll talk to you about the iNiSing up the difficulties if you happen to be online when I am. Some things really bug me.
You so lazy
Topic Starter
K2J
Sorry about that, I must have misunderstood something you said earlier. If there's anything else that's too similar to yours, please let me know.
wkLeon
Starred...

To whoever can change the scrolling title display, is it possible to have it appear after the mission title? It makes it pretty hard to read.
Galkan
Why this map isn't ranked yet? :cry:
Topic Starter
K2J
Works In Progress/Help
Vergence
STAR
NoHitter
The SB load is over 5 at a lot of times >.>
0_o
Alrighty, just a few things.

Storyboard
Maybe put "a.k.a. 'Faceman'" by my name in the intro? I think when introducing the protagonist he should have a pronounceable name to go by :P

Veggin'
01:34:622 (1) - I feel like the spacing in general is a little wide for the easiest diff, but jump especially is a bit much. If you mirrored everything from here to the break that would fix this nicely.
But yeah, AIMod classifies this difficulty as "Hard" because of a few of those jumps, and I'm definitely not a slave to AIMod but I think it's worth thinking about.
02:35:450 (1) - Maybe lengthen for consistency with Squeezin'? Either that or shorten Squeezin's

Squeezin'
00:33:381 (3) and 00:31:726 (2) - Symmetrify please.
00:54:898 (1,2) [and other "any day" spots] - This slider sounds off with the lyrics. I think it would sound much better if you placed 2 where the slider is now then placed the slider on the red tick after it.

Choppin'
02:37:519 (1,2,3,4) - I really don't think this is that necessary, imo it would be a better ending to finish with just the spinner like the other diffs.

Really like the remap, well done.
oh, also
SPOILER
ATTACH[Screenshot (2010-09-08 at 03.19.43).png]
did anyone else read that wrong or am I just silly and immature

Topic Starter
K2J

NoHItter wrote:

The SB load is over 5 at a lot of times >.>
I'm thinking a lot of that is due to some of the background appearing off-screen (it's not as bad as it used to be, I don't think). I might go back and check some of it, especially in the third cutscene (when the rocket blasts off). I'll also probably remove the space background after the very first zoom-in on osu!land.

peppy has noted it was supposed to be a guideline, but I'll try my best. Unfortunately, there's a little bit of a tradeoff between SB Load and filesize; if I rendered, say, the final image on Choppin' / iNiS980 in GIMP, I'd have a much larger filesize, but lower SB Load at that point. I'm able to run just fine on an integrated Dell graphics card, so I'm not too concerned because some text is turning red.

If people are having trouble, though, I'll definitely look into it.

0_o wrote:

Storyboard
Maybe put "a.k.a. 'Faceman'" by my name in the intro? I think when introducing the protagonist he should have a pronounceable name to go by :P
I tried as you suggested, but it became too wordy, so I just wrote "Faceman" for the name. I didn't put the quotation marks, though; maybe I will next update.

Veggin'
01:34:622 (1) - I feel like the spacing in general is a little wide for the easiest diff, but jump especially is a bit much. If you mirrored everything from here to the break that would fix this nicely.
Cut-and-paste error, fixed. Some spacing has also been relaxed a bit, particularly on the sub-chorus.

02:35:450 (1) - Maybe lengthen for consistency with Squeezin'? Either that or shorten Squeezin's
Did the former.

Squeezin'
00:33:381 (3) and 00:31:726 (2) - Symmetrify please.
Fixed, as far as I can manage.

00:54:898 (1,2) [and other "any day" spots] - This slider sounds off with the lyrics. I think it would sound much better if you placed 2 where the slider is now then placed the slider on the red tick after it.
You're right. That's really nice, actually. Thanks!

Choppin'
02:37:519 (1,2,3,4) - I really don't think this is that necessary, imo it would be a better ending to finish with just the spinner like the other diffs.
It's kind of my signature, but I realize a lot of people don't like it. I'll reconsider, but I really like it, personally.

Thanks for your prompt help!
eee

0_o wrote:

did anyone else read that wrong or am I just silly and immature
I stared at it for almost a minute before figuring out what you were thinking D:

Looked at the map in an early stage, will look again as soon as possible. Forgot to leave a star, so yeah. And maybe I'll mod if it isn't ranked by the time I get to it.

eeedit: wow, this sb is amazing
rust45
This gets a star for being so awesome. Also, I'm helping with the rocket, so even better.

I was gonna full mod but I feared my crap computer would not be able to handle it.
abcde1234qaz
>.< star~ :) :)
Inamaru
Cool map Star :)
Topic Starter
K2J
Make sure you guys are actually checking the map, not just starring because of the storyboard...
wkLeon
[General]
Move the scrolling song title to 00:15:259 whenever this gets ranked.
(optional) Use red/orange gradient for the "Wooooaaahhh"

[Veggin']
01:14:772 - Looks like the last chorus flipped.
02:04:384 - Should this be a straight line?
02:34:209 - Try moving this more towards the middle, and add more curve to it.

[Squeezin']
00:23:266 (4, 5) - I think 5 should mirror 4.

[Choppin']
Perfect

[inis980]
00:48:301 (1, 2) should be symetrical
Topic Starter
K2J

WikiLeon wrote:

[General]
Move the scrolling song title to 00:15:259 whenever this gets ranked.
I would actually place it at 5:243 to 8:553, but beneath all the other text.

(optional) Use red/orange gradient for the "Wooooaaahhh"
I think it's fine, considering the BG is a different color, too.

[Veggin']
Intentional, and on all difficulties. BUT! You did have me notice I flipped the original one incorrectly, so thanks.

02:04:384 - Should this be a straight line?
Nope. Looks boring compared to the curved ones right after.

02:34:209 - Try moving this more towards the middle, and add more curve to it.
Due to the SB, I placed it so that Pippi is visible.

[Squeezin']
00:23:266 (4, 5) - I think 5 should mirror 4.
Was a bit off, thanks. It's a little bit closer, but reversing the slider is by waypoint, not by final appearance.

[inis980]
00:48:301 (1, 2) should be symetrical
I think they are...

Thanks.
NotShinta
All of the following is a nazi. This is the best map ever, and I wouldn't give a shit about this if it was mediocre

Overall
All diffs, m980 in tags.

Veggin'
00:31:726 (1) - I smell ugliness. Move 2nd point a bit to the left.
00:33:381 (3) - ^
00:58:209 (1) - Not quite symmetrical

Squeezin'
00:31:726 (2) - What were you thinkin
00:56:347 (4,5) - Unsymmetrical. According to ticks.
00:59:657 (6,7) - ^ Alright, and similar
02:14:347 (1) - Unsymmetrical
02:15:795 (4) - ^, the ticks never lie
02:31:105 (2) - These points

Choppin'
02:02:553 (5) - What is this ugly unsymmetrical what
02:31:105 (2) - Whatever.

iNiS980
m980 you perfect bitch

Honestly, this map made me happy, excited, motivated, speechless, made me lose my virginity, got me those grades, made me lose weight, cured my mother's cancer, made world peace, gave me a new dog, refilled my fridge, stopped me from putting a spoon in the microwave, stopped Beyonce from releasing her new album, turned water into Vimto, replacing Microsoft computers with Macs, turned me into a pirate, and holy fuck did I see Robotnik.
Topic Starter
K2J

NotShinta wrote:

All of the following is a nazi. This is the best map ever, and I wouldn't give a shit about this if it was mediocre
I would.

Overall
All diffs, m980 in tags.
This is the first time I've gone to pending with a guest difficulty; are you sure I'm supposed to do that on all diffs? Why not just iNiS980?

Veggin'
00:31:726 (1) - I smell ugliness. Move 2nd point a bit to the left.
00:58:209 (1) - Not quite symmetrical
Fixed.

Squeezin'
00:31:726 (2) - What were you thinkin
Are you referring to time or to space? If the latter, I was thinking that I wanted (3) to be horizontally mirrored from (1) and thus made the slider to fix appropriately.

00:56:347 (4,5) - Unsymmetrical. According to ticks.
00:59:657 (6,7) - ^ Alright, and similar
02:14:347 (1) - Unsymmetrical
02:15:795 (4) - ^, the ticks never lie
02:31:105 (2) - These points
I had to turn the grid off for some of these. Am I supposed to be doing that?

Choppin'
02:02:553 (5) - What is this ugly unsymmetrical what
Any reason why the other one was OK...? I changed both as best as I could.

02:31:105 (2) - Whatever.
Changed.

holy fuck did I see Robotnik.
Snooping as usual, I see.
m980
Your SB load rate is above 5.0x half the time. "totalwhite.png" is on the screen for the most of the sb. It's never seen except for the intro and the last play section. Why is it there behind everything?

SB load goes up to 15.0x (which is 3 times the recommended cap). To be fair, this SB is VERY busy. I'd tone it down a bit, but whatever. 15.0x is pretty hectic though.

Also..

[Choppin']
02:37:519 (1,2,3,4) - I changed my mind. This is too anticlimactic (and dumb).
wkLeon

m980 wrote:

Your SB load rate is above 5.0x half the time. "totalwhite.png" is on the screen for the most of the sb. It's never seen except for the intro and the last play section. Why is it there behind everything?

SB load goes up to 15.0x (which is 3 times the recommended cap). To be fair, this SB is VERY busy. I'd tone it down a bit, but whatever. 15.0x is pretty hectic though.
I noticed that most of the load hikes happen when an object is scaled way larger than the play screen (mostly during closeup shots).

Suggestions:

00:47:721 - replace zooming osu-land with fading in total white.
00:20:983 - at countdown 1, use a separate bitmap and clear the other two.
00:35:617 - create zoomed in versions of the backgrounds the size of the play screen and use it instead of scaling the original.
01:58:184 - see above about the osu-land
wmfchris
[SB] Excellent work, though SB load is too heavy for me.

[iNiS980]
1:18:071 (1,2)down 2 grids? Though this is fine for me.

[Choppin']
0:58:622 (3) left 1 grid
2:21:381 (3) ^

[Squeezin']
0:29:036 (4) up 1 grid
0:30:691 (4) down1 grid

^ grid refers to grid lv 3.
I'm not so familiar with authentic mapping of solo maps, and the spacing mod is based on the usual spacing in the diff~ I you think that keeping them can be more authentic just ignore them~

star~
gyt
[Squeezin']
02:08:347 (4) - add clap?

[Choppin']
02:13:933 (11) - add finish?

Cool storyboard! Star
Topic Starter
K2J
Just a quick reminder: the SB Load value is most accurate when testing a map, since it won't display all four layers at once. A lot of places go over 5.0x in the Design tab, but it's a bit better during actual playtime. Also, as I mention below, and as peppy mentioned when introducing this feature, I'm using this as a guideline. If you are actually having trouble with the beatmap, please let me know in detail where and what is happening.

m980 wrote:

Make sure you full download; the .osb has not had that persistent totalwhite since a few weeks ago. Unless you and I are thinking of different ones. I originally had it because when I saved, the .osu's background instruction was removed (a reported issue) and thus the space that was assumed to be black was actually the default beatmap background.

I'll try to tone down the overlap a bit, when possible. To be honest, I made most of these decisions right before the SB Load factor was added, so I tried to cut corners on filesizes whenever possible, instead.

My crappy Dell (with an integrated graphics card) can run the entire map just fine. If people are still legitimately having problems, I will consider upping the filesize in exchange for performance.

[Choppin']
02:37:519 (1,2,3,4) - I changed my mind. This is too anticlimactic (and dumb).
Fine. Maybe some other map. I'm still adamant about this being a viable technique, despite everyone's complaints, but I'll concede that it doesn't fit this map.

WikiLeon wrote:

00:47:721 - replace zooming osu-land with fading in total white.
*sigh* No longer zooms...

00:20:983 - at countdown 1, use a separate bitmap and clear the other two.
I originally did this, but I cut it because of filesize concerns. A few layering issues (the "Are You Ready?" image still appearing after 2 appears) fixed this to be below 5x.

00:35:617 - create zoomed in versions of the backgrounds the size of the play screen and use it instead of scaling the original.
I'll consider it, especially during the rocket blasting off sequence, but I won't have time today.

01:58:184 - see above about the osu-land
Uh, fade white over it instead? No, but I'll make it smaller...

wmfchris wrote:

[SB] Excellent work, though SB load is too heavy for me.
What issues are you having, and what kind of hardware do you have? What areas are most detrimental to your playing? This is very important - I might be able to get a handle on how high I can get the SB Load to go to if I know how its affecting others' computers.

[iNiS980]
1:18:071 (1,2)down 2 grids? Though this is fine for me.
m980 has told me jumps like this are OK in higher difficulties, though I personally didn't use them in my difficulties, sticking to the "right next to each other if 1/2 a beat apart" guideline, which is why you might have gotten confused. Left as is.

[Choppin']
0:58:622 (3) left 1 grid
2:21:381 (3) ^
All similar areas fixed, thanks.

[Squeezin']
0:29:036 (4) up 1 grid
0:30:691 (4) down1 grid
Both fixed.

gyt wrote:

[Squeezin']

[Choppin']
02:13:933 (11) - add finish?
Eh, I don't know about these. Left as is for now, but I'll think about it.
wmfchris
What issues are you having, and what kind of hardware do you have? What areas are most detrimental to your playing? This is very important - I might be able to get a handle on how high I can get the SB Load to go to if I know how its affecting others' computers.

Ahh~ I feel sorry that I mislead you, I have no problems while testing the maps and I do not know much about SB...
Mr Gaddy
Instant-star.
wkLeon
Ummm... what happened to the popcorn meteor in [Veggin]?
Topic Starter
K2J
Er, I'll fix that... Thanks.
aRiskOfRain
General;

That 1 sounds awfully loud compared to Sam and 2.

Veggin';

01:18:483 (2) - Unsnapped note. :<

Squeezin';

Choppin';

Some unsnapped notes over here too, boss.

All my support.
Topic Starter
K2J

DiamondCrash wrote:

General;

That 1 sounds awfully loud compared to Sam and 2.
OK, I'll reduce it. Make sure that you're taking the pan effect into account, though.

Veggin';

Squeezin';

Choppin';

Some unsnapped notes over here too, boss.

All my support.
Are you referring to unsnapped in time or unsnapped to the grid? I didn't see either. I moved them back off and back on to both the grid and the timeline; see if that fixes it...
show more