forum

The Keyboard Thread for o!m

posted
Total Posts
show more
CaptainAhab_old
I use a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry MX Brown keys and love it. Seems to work very well for my purposes.
Kamikaze
@Drace
Could you explain how did you mod MX Reds to be better for bottom-outer's?
I'm using MX Blue Blackwidow now and I'm changing my keyboard within next 2 months, so I'm thinking if I should buy MX Brown's or Red's and after reading your opinion I think I'll go with reds if they aren't hard to mod like you did. It will work probably out for me like for you, since I'm bottom-outer myself :P
and I have exactly no idea how to mod keyboards in any way, let alone trying to do that
Fullerene-

-Kamikaze- wrote:

@Drace
Just stack a bunch of O-rings under the keycap.
Kamikaze

Fullereneshift wrote:

-Kamikaze- wrote:

@Drace
Just stack a bunch of O-rings under the keycap.
Oh, I was planning to get o-rings anyway to reduce keyboard's noise, thanks for the idea :D
Drace
Yeah pretty much

But I found that too felt a little too mushy so I instead got small nylon washers I picked up at my local hardware store and kept them in place with just one o-ring. Felt more solid this way.
ArcherLove
Sooo.... I'm a little confused ... I will buy new keyboard... and between these type which is better ? [Cherry MX Red Switch or maybe black, because I like heavier thing XD]
I want a keyboard with full key xD because this will be my primary keyboard, ~

- CM Storm Quick Fire Pro
- SteelSeries 6GV2 [
- Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 /Ducky DK9087 ?
- CM Storm Trigger

or... Any recommedation will be appreciated xD ~

Drace
Blacks and reds are the same just blacks offer more resistance. You'd save stamina on the lighter reds, but gain more control on the heavier blacks. But that doesn't change the fact you'll grow used to which ever one you use so in the end the differences aren't much. Though black and reds got no tactical feedback at all leaving you having to guess where the midway is, it's not exactly ideal for accuracy.

For manufacturers I'd recommend Ducky over all, anything from them. My second go-to would be Filco Magistouch. It's my personal preferences though, in reality, all leading mech brands use the same switches, the same materials, and similar build quality.
Inkling
I own a dasKeyboard with blue switches and a CM storm with reds and PBT keycaps.

It's all personal preference, but I can say when you first start typing on blacks / blues it actually is kind of tiring.

I personally prefer playing on reds, but I end up switching between blues and reds a lot depending on whether I'm working cause blues are rage inducing in the office. My accuracy is terrible cause of this though :( I should probably stick to one keyboard.

If these were TKL they would be my dream keyboard though T__T
http://www.feenixcollection.com/autore.html
ArcherLove
So ... Did mech keyboard is good for osu!mania? If you're growing up with rubberdome keyboards?
moni

ArcherLove wrote:

So ... Did mech keyboard is good for osu!mania? If you're growing up with rubberdome keyboards?
i dunno :v but when i use mech keyboard .. my acc is worse than when i use rubberdome keyboard :cry:
Drace
Adjusting from bottom-out activation (like rubber domes) to midway activation (like mechs) will most likely take some getting used to. Some people get used to it the same day, others take up to multiple months. But nearly everyone I know who's done the switch are quite content with the end results.

Since you're coming from rubber domes, something with tactile feedback would most likely be best so you can "feel" where the activation point is.

Browns are slightly heavier than reds, only slightly; they're still lighter than blues. And you can feel the key activating unlike reds and blacks without it clicking like blues. Browns turn out to be pretty solid switches for vsrgs from a technical standpoint, definitely recommended.
Inkling

ArcherLove wrote:

"Technically" they should be better once you get used to them, but a good keyboard doesn't make a good player.

Actually it probably doesn't have enough effect to justify the cost, but they are super cool to type/game on and I guarantee you won't go back... if you want to buy something nice for yourself :D
ArcherLove

Inkling wrote:

ArcherLove wrote:

"Technically" they should be better once you get used to them, but a good keyboard doesn't make a good player.

Actually it probably doesn't have enough effect to justify the cost, but they are super cool to type/game on and I guarantee you won't go back... if you want to buy something nice for yourself :D
Actually Good player can't be good without Good keyboard .... ~ :3
Topic Starter
kidlat020
"good keyboard" is relatively subjective.

I dunno, I never tried too many keyboards anyway. they live waaay longer than I myself wish them to be lol. not to mention I'm getting older myself, so the "appeal" in buying another keyboard for me is really slim.

but then again, fuck real world. 2D world and cyber world all the way!!

Oh, and mech keyboards are an instant T-D for me. I imagine I won't like their clicking sound in the long run.
Drace
Like I said many times already, only blues/greens click. The only only sound you get from the other ones is PCB(most the time) key-caps slamming onto steel, which o-rings and lube can reduce to membrane-level.

Actually there's certain mods available to make the clicking blues/greens silent, but I'd say just get something else if you don't want clicking haha.
Topic Starter
kidlat020
would a PS/2 keyboard perform better (input lag) than USB keyboard?
Drace
Yep, with nkro keyboards you end up with virtually no input lag through ps/2 since the signal isn't getting processed by the usb drivers.

Be aware that using a usb -> ps/2 adapter doesn't always guarantee the pros of ps/2 input if the keyboard's mainboard was originally optimized for usb.
Topic Starter
kidlat020
I'll just post here the same as what I posted from another forum

after about a month since I used logitech G710+ here's my very bad feedback.

the keys easily let go of the caps. this is really annoying when playing osu mania. and what's worse is that just right now, the + shape of my X key was torn. one word: unusable now.

And I'm pretty sure this kind of damage is not covered in the warranty.

since its just one key I moved that destroyed key to the less-used ones (notably the numeric keypad). Just a warning on those two points.

the only + point I can give is that the PC can read 7 simultaneous key presses (I used Z, X, C, space, num4, num5, num6) which is not possible even with Razer Blackwidow.
and I paid this for 6500 php (roughly 144 - 162.5 USD)
Silver Sky
I just changed from membrane to mechanical keyboard, and as I expected my accuracy goes down :)
I just want to ask is it better to play easy songs or hard songs to adapt to the mechanical keyboard?

And do I need to change like my hitposition or offset?
Thanks before :D
Drace
Well you absolutely don't "need" to. But it can help. I have, and others haven't.

As for song difficulty I don't believe it matters at all. I'd say play it all but really you can reach your goals in a multitude of different ways. Just have fun /o/
Dreamgate
I used a Razer Blackwidow 2013 and the keys kinda broke easily for me. But blue's arent something for me, so I switched over to a CM Storm Quickfire TK with red's and i really like it. Been using it for quite a while, not too long.
Silver Sky
And here I am wondering why my laptop keyboard feels better when encountering a burst, I mean like Bangin Burst Lvl 16 and Imperishable Night 4K Insane. Probably because I always bottom-out my mech. :?:
Vuelo Eluko
i would think browns would be the best for mania
Topic Starter
kidlat020
yeah I think so too, that browns are perfect in o!m

just an update on my G710 keyboard. I removed the o-rings it was placed on the keyboard by default. the keys no longer break. logitech shouldn't have given the o-rings in the first place. it did harm than good. I'm a sad panda that I had to buy some replacement keys.

as for o!m, all my personal records are jumping up 1-2%. the way your fingers hit the keys and the way the keys bounce back from your fingers is nothing unlike membranes. you really had to try them.

greens are pretty bad imo. there's this booth that you could test the keyboard and I installed osu there (without permission :D) to playtest the keyboard. so I know.
xNinjaKittyx
I think browns are honestly one of the best switches for o!m

I used the QuickFire Rapid w/ Browns, and it was my first mechanical keyboard. I like it the best because it gives that tactile feedback, and you don't get the sound problem that MX Blues have (which i'll explain later).

I also have a Nighthawk x7 (Blues) and like mentioned earlier, you do feel a slight delay since its NKRO (however, it's really neglegible if you don't try other keyboards with it.) The problem i have with blues is that sometimes the sound of the keycap and the sound of the tactile click of the switch tend to make a similar noise in your head, so you feel like you need to hit notes even earlier. (This won't really be a problem if you don't bounce your fingers on the keyboard).

I tried Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, and I like this blue for some reason. I felt like the "delay" feeling on the nighthawk wasn't existing on the blackwidow. Idk.

I tried out a couple of filco browns, and my friend's custom black/brown/blue keyboards.
Browns were generally nicer at firsthand. Blacks were weird... but i guess if u like reds, you wouldn't mind blacks either (but it'd be heavier to play.)

I tried out some MX Clear keyboards, and that is o!m's nightmare. You don't want to be playing on those LOL. I literally played a stamina song with that, and.... yeah... have fun with that. (They have a high upward force, so the keys constantly feel like they're pushing up on your fingers while you're playing.)

I also have tried doing mania with those old cherry keyboards and Model-M's and that was an interesting experience. (way too stiff in my opinion).
Also topre switch HHKB.

I have yet to try some reds. (i don't really like linear switches, so idk. but they should be light to touch, which makes it nice to play o!m.(but u don't get that tactile feedback) haven't tried whites, alps-switches.

I do admit, it does take time to get used to mech switches. not only because of midway vs bottom-out activation, but also because of keyboard sound vs headphones/speaker sound association.
Bobbias
I was gonna ask about reds and blacks, since they have desirable characteristics for very fast button pressing. Thing is, I don't think a short period of testing would be enough to really truly compare them with the tactile keys, since you'd need time to adjust to their linear action.
xNinjaKittyx

Bobbias wrote:

I was gonna ask about reds and blacks, since they have desirable characteristics for very fast button pressing. Thing is, I don't think a short period of testing would be enough to really truly compare them with the tactile keys, since you'd need time to adjust to their linear action.

If i ever go to my friend's house again, I'll pay more attention to the blacks. I don't think he'll ever buy reds because he's not a fan of linear switches in general. He mostly buys browns and the not-so-popular switches.