Upset and Disappointed

posted
Total Posts
show more
Dexus
B1rd

Dexus wrote:

$300-400 is plenty to get an up to date computer
Nope, you'd get a piece of junk for $300-400. If it wasn't using outdated or super low end parts, you'd have to get a free OS somehow, and need to know how to build it yourself.

You would want to spend $500 or more, to get a quality power supply and CPU. Once you've got a decent base machine you can upgrade later as the funds come available; get a dedicated GPU, an SSD (or HDD if you got an SSD first, not a bad idea), some more RAM etc.
Noobsicle
maybe you have a bad mouse
Dexus
I really wouldn't think something like this would be junk http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3min2 granted with this list you could use a cheaper gpu/cpu instead. This is just to show a higher end of a budget build.
I thought I edited that post to say within the $400 range, oh well.

Building a PC is like putting lego parts together. psu aren't really expensive (you don't need 1000w to run shit, it takes two 250w PSU to send a signal into space to a satellite and it in the long run wastes energy) Just look for 80+ bronze standard from a reliable company at a reasonable wattage/price. Also 8GB (2x4 for dual channel) is plenty anything more is a waste for a common user and less would be harmful in the long run (The RAM clock speed depends on what cpu you get because the memory controller can have a limit, AMD:1866, Intel: 1333/1600, CAS is pointless to debate about). As for a GPU a GTX 750 ti runs well at a low TDP. Best price per dollar performance gpu I've ever seen. AMD gpu are cheaper, I remember using a 7770 ghz edition and it was running the game just fine. Processors? Nothing really takes advantage of multi core threads. I believe osu! itself just runs on one thread, so a dual core cpu would be plenty unless you want to stream or something. Although a quad core cpu would be better in the long run since games on the consoles are using multi cores now (which is where pc games will most likely be heading). You can forget about overclocking too, it's pretty much pointless unless you're benchmarking, windows itself has a timer that doesn't really go that fast. HPET gets pretty unstable too. With timers and speed, the lower the more stable it is so you have to find a right balance in speed with everything.
Noobsicle

Dexus wrote:

I really wouldn't think something like this would be junk http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3min2 granted with this list you could use a cheaper gpu/cpu instead. This is just to show a higher end of a budget build.
a build like that could probably run osu! at 100fps+ easily, assuming you have those flashy graphic settings turned off missing a psu doe but a 450w lying around should be fine
Dexus
Marcin
If you want to buy PC ONLY for osu!, you can as well use integrated into newest Intel I7/5/3 Core generation. External GPU is unnecessary.
Dexus
What about the AMD Kaveri APU?

I almost built a pc specifically for osu! with one, but decided against it seeing as I have a perfectly capable pc as is
B1rd

Dexus wrote:

Building a PC is like putting lego parts together. psu aren't really expensive (you don't need 1000w to run shit, it takes two 250w PSU to send a signal into space to a satellite and it in the long run wastes energy) Just look for 80+ bronze standard from a reliable company at a reasonable wattage/price. Also 8GB (2x4 for dual channel) is plenty anything more is a waste for a common user and less would be harmful in the long run (The RAM clock speed depends on what cpu you get because the memory controller can have a limit, AMD:1866, Intel: 1333/1600, CAS is pointless to debate about). As for a GPU a GTX 750 ti runs well at a low TDP. Best price per dollar performance gpu I've ever seen. AMD gpu are cheaper, I remember using a 7770 ghz edition and it was running the game just fine. Processors? Nothing really takes advantage of multi core threads. I believe osu! itself just runs on one thread, so a dual core cpu would be plenty unless you want to stream or something. Although a quad core cpu would be better in the long run since games on the consoles are using multi cores now (which is where pc games will most likely be heading). You can forget about overclocking too, it's pretty much pointless unless you're benchmarking, windows itself has a timer that doesn't really go that fast. HPET gets pretty unstable too. With timers and speed, the lower the more stable it is so you have to find a right balance in speed with everything. :(
That PC is $535. You forgot an OS, which is at least another $100. So even if you can put one together yourself, that's a $600-700 (incl. shipping). You said $300-400.

If Osu! does run of one thread, getting something like an i3 would be better than an AMD CPU since they have better single core performance.
Rewben2

Marcin wrote:

If you want to buy PC ONLY for osu!, you can as well use integrated into newest Intel I7/5/3 Core generation. External GPU is unnecessary.
This. My $500 laptop with some ghetto i3 using integrated graphics doesn't ever fall below 60fps, and it's obviously not made for gaming. Building your own PC would cost less than this and get even better performance because you can optimise it for what you're going to use it for.

Dexus's build is $530 and includes a $150 gpu, lol. I'm not sure how osu! would run on an fx series cpu without a dedicated graphics card though; there's no integrated graphics with that series of cpu's. I think an apu might be the best solution because a dedicated graphics card is not needed.

B1rd wrote:

You forgot an OS, which is at least another $100.
Ha.
GoldenWolf
guys pls stop overusing the spoiler code
takaharrue
I play perfectly fine with the 120 fps cap, and I use a laptop.
Dexus
granted with this list you could use a cheaper gpu/cpu instead. This is just to show a higher end of a budget build.
Why buy an OS? *runs*

This would be closer to what I was talking about http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mxjg
spoiler
Sync

Soarezi wrote:

"just a bit laggy" 30fps? osu is barely and barely playable on 60 fps, even 100. Unless of course you are a massive casual playing 10 bpm songs and 1 note per minute
osu! is definitely playable at 60-100fps even at a high level
Flanster
My ex could play decent at 20~40fps on her craptop.
GoldenWolf

Sync wrote:

osu! is definitely playable at 60-100fps even at a high level
defintely not
MillhioreF
As an arguably high level player, 180 fps is the minimum I feel comfortable at, and under 120 is when my play starts to really suffer. Most computers from the last 5 years should be able to at least get that high.
Full Tablet
Curious about something: Has anybody ever got less than 96.23 Unstable Rate in a map with more than 30 hitobjects with 60fps?
Saint_old
i used to use 60 fps now i use 120 and if i try unlimited i get lag spikes sometimes
loldcraft

Polymelia wrote:

peppy wrote:

Sounds like you a trying to blame a poorly configured and/or broken PC on a game. osu! performs better than it did in any previous year, performance wise.
weird, my mouse gets stuck to the right on spinners... why yes of course it does, i just updated my harddrive on my pc and everything. but whatever, used to be fun sorry about it guys :-)
Try borrowing a gaming mouse to see if your mouse is the cause, or look to see if anything got stuck in the optical sensor.
Topic Starter
Polymelia
if anyone see's this i got a new computer AND SUPER PUMPED TO TRY OSU IGHT
buny

Polymelia wrote:

if anyone see's this i got a new computer AND SUPER PUMPED TO TRY OSU IGHT
worth the necro
Granger

Have fun though.
Mythras
Gonna take this chance to ask b1rd who in the blue hell pays for an OS since windows 98
Vuelo Eluko
B1rd

VioletMaid wrote:

Gonna take this chance to ask b1rd who in the blue hell pays for an OS since windows 98
because legitimate OS is easier and smoother.
Mythras

B1rd wrote:

VioletMaid wrote:

because legitimate OS is easier and smoother.
haha ok
Zenarai
Hitting almost all 100s below 600 fps.. No idea how wolf for example records with 240 and still manages to get good score o_o
buny

Zenarai wrote:

Hitting almost all 100s below 600 fps.. No idea how wolf for example records with 240 and still manages to get good score o_o
I'm not sure who told you there was a direct correlation between fps and accuracy...
Noobsicle

Zenarai wrote:

240fps is plenty
EZ2ACTux
I run osu on an old pc that was handed down from a friend. After slapping an extra ram chip into it and installing windows 7 it ran like a treat. Osu runs fine on this and this pc is around 7/8 years old! If osu lags on your pc then you must be using something that belongs in a museum.
Full Tablet

buny wrote:

Zenarai wrote:

I'm not sure who told you there was a direct correlation between fps and accuracy...
Having low fps makes it harder to achieve good accuracy, since the lower the fps, the less accurate the game detects the keyboard input. Also, the pointing device latency with low fps makes aiming harder, which can also indirectly make getting good accuracy harder.

The difference between 60fps and 240fps is much more significant than, for example, 240fps and 960fps. It is possible to surpass even the most accurate plays ever done with only 200fps.
buny

Full Tablet wrote:

Having low fps makes it harder to achieve good accuracy, since the lower the fps, the less accurate the game detects the keyboard input. Also, the pointing device latency with low fps makes aiming harder, which can also indirectly make getting good accuracy harder.

The difference between 60fps and 240fps is much more significant than, for example, 240fps and 960fps. It is possible to surpass even the most accurate plays ever done with only 200fps.
just because it's "much more significant" doesn't mean it's a big difference, but you've worded it as if you implied it was.

It's not.
YukinoDesuDesu

Tuxdude143 wrote:

I run osu on an old pc that was handed down from a friend. After slapping an extra ram chip into it and installing windows 7 it ran like a treat. Osu runs fine on this and this pc is around 7/8 years old! If osu lags on your pc then you must be using something that belongs in a museum.
I am sad now...
Granger
Thats subjective.
In your oponion its not a big difference, but from my experience i tend to get a head ace quickly when only playing at 60 fps. My usual max FPS is around 150. I find this difference massive in games like osu!
Noobsicle

Full Tablet wrote:

buny wrote:

he stated that he had trouble with accuracy under 600 fps, it's not like his accuracy would magically become better if his fps was above 600

of course it'd make a massive difference if he meant 60 fps, but then the comment on wolf's records w/240 fps would be invalid
Lach

vsync.png
nooblet
I play on 120 fps just fine :? How can you even tell the difference between 240 and 600 without the number on the bottom?

The guy was most likely just spamming bs, he got banned anyways. Ironically for streaming 300bpm perfectly on OD 9.
YukinoDesuDesu
eh every time i read stuff like this i want to build a fast pc cuz i play with around 30 fps at the moment in Osu! lol :')
but then again i want to save up some money first too x)
Granger

Asiangodx2 wrote:

eh every time i read stuff like this i want to build a fast pc cuz i play with around 30 fps at the moment in Osu! lol :')
but then again i want to save up some money first too x)
I refuse to belive that there PC's that much worse than mine.
show more