forum

Pixel Skin v3 HD [Osu!STD,CtB & Taiko] (Last Update: 6/8/16)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

This is my first skin, hope you guys like it. It's a pixel themed skin which has designs that aren't too extravagant so that the player may focus more on playing than the design. So, it's a slightly minimalist skin as well.

Changelog
4/3/2013- Initial Release
4/8/14- Version 2 release
-CtB elements added
-Taiko elements added
-Spinner-rpm added
-Added some extra features
-Added cinema mod icon
-Improved spun out mod icon
-Some hitsounds updated
6/7/16- Version 3 release
-New skin for the whole interface
-Revamped CtB!, STD & Taiko
-HD is now available

Notes
-I didn't skin the taiko mascot because I have no idea on how I'm supposed to make it. ALTHOUGH, I might work on skinning it if I have the patience and time to.
-I, for some reason, cannot skin Mania mode for my life. So don't expect that mode to be skinned any time soon.
-Please leave suggestions and comments it would help me a lot so that I can improve. :)
-Thanks for downloading and checking out my skin! :D
Eizan Arizawa
i think i'm back to era when the first video game release Nice job there! OwO
Ayesha Altugle
dat FB section-pass & Section-fail.
CarinderYeah
This is priceless.
OsuMe65
Anyway, there will be one hell of a pixel war here in Skinning Forums since I saw a lot of skins like this.
Inori
welp.
Now I know what my next skin will be.
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

Eizan Arizawa wrote:

i think i'm back to era when the first video game release Nice job there! OwO
Thanks. :D

CarinderYeah wrote:

This is priceless.
In a good way?

OsuMe65 wrote:

Anyway, there will be one hell of a pixel war here in Skinning Forums since I saw a lot of skins like this.
I've only seen one skin other than mine that's pixel related. Haven't seen a lot of these types of skins here.
10crystalmask01
Holy cow, that cursor size O.o

So far the skin looks pretty neat :)
Only thing I'd request is could you enlarge the default numbers a bit more? They appear rather small on the hit objects, and I can't see them very well.
Akama_old
Awesome skin now my main skin ^^
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

10crystalmask01 wrote:

Only thing I'd request is could you enlarge the default numbers a bit more? They appear rather small on the hit objects, and I can't see them very well.
Is it too small? I can add a larger version (or I might make a new one) in the next update.

I'll do that. :D Just wait for the next update.

Akama wrote:

Glad you liked it. :D Thanks for using my skin.
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

BoredPotato wrote:

10crystalmask01 wrote:

Is it too small? I can add a larger version (or I might make a new one) in the next update.

I'll do that. :D Just wait for the next update.

Akama wrote:

Glad you liked it. :D Thanks for using my skin.
^Regarding the numbers, the larger versions of the default numbers are now in the Extras folder in the update I posted.
Topic Starter
BoredPotato
bump.
I'd like some feedback so that I know what to do so that I can improve my skin.
Thanks! :D
gigaiDX
I have done a bit of modification myself with sounds and graphics just for personal tastes.

I'm not sure if many people have a problem with it but I noticed the spinner bonus sound was very loud and (I think) slightly delayed. Also the count1, count2 and count3 sounds were (I think) a bit quiet and also delayed too or at least too slow when it came to more faster songs that had a count-in.
You might want to consider making the spinner circle and spinner approach circle just a bit more sharper (I assume you scaled them up while leaving anti-aliasing on). Same thing with the section pass and section fail images as they could be a lot more sharper.

Other than that, you've done a great job with the skin :)
nat2011
what about mania mode
Qerewe
The file has been removed. :o
Ksardas

QereweYT wrote:

The file has been removed. :o
same
Slazy
I used to own this and it's so sad the download link is the reason for it's downfall. c'est la vie
Topic Starter
BoredPotato
dfgjasdhejd I didn't think that people would still look at this thread after two years. I've been very inactive as of late (because of school) and only noticed that the download link was down today. Thank you for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, the laptop I used to make this skin on had a problem with its hard drive a year ago and since then it has just been a useless chunk of metal in my room. I've also searched for the .osk and .zip files of it on my box and other cloud accounts and I think I may have accidentally deleted/overwritten the files with something else. :cry:

But if there is a high demand for the download, I can revamp this pixel skin entirely and make a V3 (Still without mania, I really don't know how to make a skin for that mode + taiko mascot. But if someone could teach me or something, I'd be grateful) since it's summer for me right now (I finally have free time yay) and I believe my designing abilities have improved by a lot, so it might be a lot better than before if you guys would like me to revamp it as the files are unrecoverable.

((If someone right now still has the zip or osk file though, I'd really appreciate it if you could upload it and put a link here for everyone else.))
Slazy
Actually I have an image of my old computer when I used to have this skin. I found the image last night and if I can restore it correctly I may have the osk file, I'll see what I can do
xHeke
Hello I like this skin if someone can upload it'll be very cool :3
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

Tobik wrote:

Actually I have an image of my old computer when I used to have this skin. I found the image last night and if I can restore it correctly I may have the osk file, I'll see what I can do
Alright, thanks so much! I'll also see if I can revamp and create a V3 from scratch while you're at it. :)
shawchaneo
I'd also love to have that skin!
vbn237jr
I really want the skin so bad can't wait for the release ! :D
Topic Starter
BoredPotato
Just so you guys are informed: I am currently creating a V3 for this skin and hopefully be done within this month. The skin will also come in HD when it's released and it might look vastly different from the previous versions.
gigaiDX
Awesome! I'll be looking forward to seeing it in action.
Topic Starter
BoredPotato
So I wasn't able to finish this skin last month because of many, many things happening, but being a little bit late isn't so bad... I think. Anyway, the third version of the Pixel Skin is now available. (hooray)
Download links are now available on the first post. Changelog, notes and screenshots are now updated.
A video preview is also available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6hWc86PEJY
Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated and lastly, I hope you guys enjoy this skin. :))

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the download also includes the HD version of the skin to support more computers.
gigaiDX
Alright, cool to see this back up.

I've just had a little play around and it definitely looks much better than v2 from what I can remember of it. Here's my basic overview so far:

+ The look in general is so much more cleaner and much better looking - props to you on that
+ Ranking screen is much nicer, as well as ranking letters.
+ Pass and fail icons are an interesting change and touch but I love it (always a fan for undertale stuff)
+ Mod icons are much nicer to look at

- The menuclick sound is delayed for whatever reason and it's a bit annoying when hovering through even only just a few maps, as the delay means you suddenly just get hit by a wave of noise. I have checked the sound in the files and that wasn't delayed, so I'm not exactly sure what's happened there.
- Text colour for maps could be changed to something that makes it a bit easier to read/ compliments the theme. White could possibly do.
- Difficulty stars seem to darken when the map/difficulty is selected, instead of become visible.
- Colours for the hit circles in general could do with different colours to make reading different strings a lot easier. Approach circles could be changed to just be white instead, just to give extra clarity as well.

~ Would be nice to see some more pixel art come in for combo bursts. I had made a few with my modifications to v2, but I've lost them ever since my hard drive failed on me. I'd be happy to make some, although I'm not sure how good my pixel art skills would compare.

Other than all that, you've done well to one up v2! It's nice to see people continue with projects like this. ^ ^
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

gigaiDX wrote:

Alright, cool to see this back up.

I've just had a little play around and it definitely looks much better than v2 from what I can remember of it. Here's my basic overview so far:

+ The look in general is so much more cleaner and much better looking - props to you on that
+ Ranking screen is much nicer, as well as ranking letters.
+ Pass and fail icons are an interesting change and touch but I love it (always a fan for undertale stuff)
+ Mod icons are much nicer to look at

- The menuclick sound is delayed for whatever reason and it's a bit annoying when hovering through even only just a few maps, as the delay means you suddenly just get hit by a wave of noise. I have checked the sound in the files and that wasn't delayed, so I'm not exactly sure what's happened there.
- Text colour for maps could be changed to something that makes it a bit easier to read/ compliments the theme. White could possibly do.
- Difficulty stars seem to darken when the map/difficulty is selected, instead of become visible.
- Colours for the hit circles in general could do with different colours to make reading different strings a lot easier. Approach circles could be changed to just be white instead, just to give extra clarity as well.

~ Would be nice to see some more pixel art come in for combo bursts. I had made a few with my modifications to v2, but I've lost them ever since my hard drive failed on me. I'd be happy to make some, although I'm not sure how good my pixel art skills would compare.

Other than all that, you've done well to one up v2! It's nice to see people continue with projects like this. ^ ^
I've noticed everything that you've said as well after playing a bit more, I'll try to patch them up soon. Although, this may take another while for me to update since I'm trying to skin the taiko mascot (might not push though with it if my patience decides to be uncooperative) and I'd like to have more people give feedback as well so I don't miss anymore issues.

But for the combobursts, I left it with a few combobursts so the player would be less distracted. The skin originally had around five or six combobursts and the random colors I could see from my peripheral vision really distracted me from playing properly, so yeah. :D (Oh and I think it's worth mentioning that most of my pixel art in this skin were mostly either based on existing sprites or borrowed then tweaked for the skin due to my lack of time to actually create each and every one from scratch.)

As for the hitcircle colors, I guess I could add some more variation to the colors since they do only come in shades of blue. However, I'm still quite unsure on what kind of color palette I could use that could suit the skin. But if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to see them. :)

And thanks so much for leaving such constructive feedback, (even from the very beginning :D ) I really appreciate it. :)
gigaiDX
Okay just a little bit more late night messing around, modifying and testing (if you don't mind).

I think I've got a pretty good colour selection for combos:
Combo1: 19, 149, 186
Combo2: 255, 248, 0
Combo3: 255, 51, 102
Combo4: 0, 245, 61
Mostly just chose the brighter side of things just so it's easier to spot when combos end and start. I also got rid of the darker gray part to the hit circles, so only the circle around is shown and is transparent in the middle. Just thought it would look a bit nicer and help a bit with clarity also. I did try overriding the slider track colour to black, but i'm not too sure about it or not. If you want to try it out just put this into the skin.ini:
SliderTrackOverride: 0,0,0
I'll do a little more experimenting maybe tomorrow, so I'll see where that goes.
Also, no problem; I love getting stuck in when it comes to trying to help to improve stuff. Just a bit of fun to do and slight embracement of the small creative side of me ^^
gigaiDX
Some more late night testing and a small update!

Played around a bit with song select text colours. While I guess it doesn't look the absolute best, I did come to:
SongSelectActiveText: 255,255,0
SongSelectInactiveText: 25,25,25
I feel it makes it just a bit nicer to look at and displays the stars properly, as they are completely tinted black since SongSelectActiveText was set as (0,0,0) for the current version.

I've also taken care of the delayed sounds as well. Turns out there was actually a significant amount of delay in the WAV file when I looked at them on Audacity. It's simple to fix as all you have to do is delete the silent spaces, but if you want the modified WAV files just hit me up.
Topic Starter
BoredPotato

gigaiDX wrote:

Some more late night testing and a small update!

Played around a bit with song select text colours. While I guess it doesn't look the absolute best, I did come to:
SongSelectActiveText: 255,255,0
SongSelectInactiveText: 25,25,25
I feel it makes it just a bit nicer to look at and displays the stars properly, as they are completely tinted black since SongSelectActiveText was set as (0,0,0) for the current version.

I've also taken care of the delayed sounds as well. Turns out there was actually a significant amount of delay in the WAV file when I looked at them on Audacity. It's simple to fix as all you have to do is delete the silent spaces, but if you want the modified WAV files just hit me up.
You're waaay too kind, thanks again! :D Although, as I said earlier, I may take a longer time to update this skin, but I've tried out your settings and will be using them on the next update I put up. The other sounds however, I might just change to new files if I find better ones since I have to admit that I kind of rushed adding in the sounds since I really wanted to upload the skin on a personal deadline I set for myself after taking more than a month to improve the skin.
gigaiDX
No problem at all! At least you're organised and faithful to it. Hunting for new sounds is probably going to be hard, so good luck on the search. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I find anything that'll work.