forum

Streaming Practice.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Evil
I'm slowly moving from Hard to Insane maps on Osu and I'm having trouble with streams, is there a few maps anybody could recommend to a noob / beginner streamer? Please and Thank you, would really appreciate it!!
GoldenWolf
Topic Starter
Evil
Oh wow thanks a ton!!
Vuelo Eluko
learning streams was an obstacle for me too

i still have issues with some maps if the streams are harder than like deep sea for example
i was able to pass deep sea thoe
Mizuno Yui
Hey, me to. F*ck those streams, man :\
deletemyaccount
My advice to people just starting to learn how to stream is to learn how to do triples consistently. Streams are a little bit like extended triples.
Bauxe
Omg wow first time I have seen this thread!

protip search
Dexus
I wont give you maps because you shouldn't grind one map but all maps, but I'll give you technical advice.

Use this site or any other site that basically does the same thing http://web.forret.com/tools/bpm_count.asp

Do 100 consecutive taps with each finger (do not use your wrist/hand/arm, just the finger, and do not mash to see the fastest you can go, do what you can at a controlled pace) and see what your average bpm comes out to (divide it by 2). See which finger is slower and practice that BPM range (slightly above and slightly below) and switch to that finger as your main single tap finger. Do this for a couple weeks and switch back and forth and you should improve.

I don't know how well your timing is nor how good your understanding of streams is, but I will say this anyways: streams are just half notes being done with each finger in tandem to each other. Single tapping can provide controlled timing on these half notes so you know with the other finger to tap at the same rate but at a different time. You can listen for main sounds in the song (person starting/ending a word, breathing, etc or a drum rhythm) and basically try to imagine another note inbetween when you hit half notes, that's the time when you would be hitting quarter notes (streaming). Doing all this listening is how you can develop a sense of meter. Meter is basically you reading a map in sets of notes and rests. You're either tapping at a consistent rate to half notes, waiting on a whole note, or doing streams with no rest notes. Meter is very important in reading streams, so if you're really consistent and accurate at tapping half notes at a certain bpm with both fingers you should in theory be able to stream at that bpm and any speed below it. As you start to get to extremely slow stuff though it revolves back into single tapping (like people say they can single tap 120bpm quarter notes which means they are single tapping at 240bpm half notes) Same thing happens when you go up, the half notes eventually become low bpm quarter notes (people who favor alternating shine here due to slow streaming).

Once you understand the mechanical and technical aspects of streaming and playing the game the hardest thing is speed. This is basically your understanding and physical ability to maintain hitting at certain rates. Just as runners you will have to do really controlled high speed bursts in order to increase your speed. This is called overspeed training. You can to do this in very limited amounts and return to practicing stuff closer to your stable range after a while. Do not constantly overspeed train as it will have negative effects, you can lose technique and form and physical injuries will arise. It takes a lot of practice to improve your speed and dedication, it can be easily lost too if you don't keep up with it.

Take a week off every once and a while so you can recuperate. Your hand is very delicate, even if it may not seem like it.

fgsdlanhjkf; I gotta stop rambling.

@Philantropist: don't just grind triples, you'll develop a sort of gallop effect to your streaming and it's difficult to fix.

@Bauxe: Sarcasm still doesn't help, countless threads have passed and people will continue ignore the search bar. It's a fact. Just provide constructive information and move on. If not then stop posting stuff that's not helpful. It's essentially flame baiting and an attempt to derail threads in my eyes.
Layne_old_1
or you can just take a metronome
choose a random bpm (120-180, something comfortable and slow)
then tap 8ths to the beat
then go for 16ths to the beat
GoldenWolf

Layne wrote:

doesn't work when you have no clue about rhythm
and in the end it's better to just play streamy maps, as the game tells you when you're off (100s, 50s)
Layne_old_1

GoldenWolf wrote:

Layne wrote:

and in the end it's better to just play streamy maps, as the game tells you when you're off (100s, 50s)
Since I don't know any background for the OP on rhythm, I am going to assume that he has a basic/limited understanding of rhythm (like knowing how to count to 4 and looping that in rhythm)

What a metronome will do better than the game is to incline the user to stay on beat. the game will always tell you if youre off or not but wont really help you rhythmically if the rhythm feels a little complicated to follow along with the song. (not only that, we also have human error to account for, like offset as well)

It shouldnt hurt at the very least. although this whole concept doesnt really apply to songs that have a dynamic bpm.

you dont have to do it though 8-) just a suggestion
Mathsma

Dexus wrote:

Do 100 consecutive taps with each finger (do not use your wrist/hand/arm, just the finger, and do not mash to see the fastest you can go, do what you can at a controlled pace) and see what your average bpm comes out to (divide it by 2). See which finger is slower and practice that BPM range (slightly above and slightly below) and switch to that finger as your main single tap finger. Do this for a couple weeks and switch back and forth and you should improve.
My main finger has been my middle for my entire osu! play time and it's 10bpm slower than my index. D:
Aegyo
http://puu.sh/7SxtM.jar

Here's a javascript that measures your stream speed+unstable rate. I hope it helps.

Disclaimer: Not coded by me. Idk who coded it but kudos to them.
Dexus
rhythm so important for streams (and the whole game) so it makes sense to learn it and meter, no?

Spamming streams can get you to do incorrect things depending on how the OD is. You can be getting a 300 but you will not actually be hitting the note truly on time. You'll develop much faster when you obtain finger independence between your two fingers and learn a better understanding as to how all note types work together with each other.

A metronome does keep you in rhythm, but you will not develop your own sense for it if you continuously use it. Plus you can't really tell how off you are if you tap to it and you wont learn a sense of timing and prediction for the game as it's a continuous monotonous sound. Trust me when I say I have gone the route of tapping to a metronome. It did help me understand exactly how slow certain BPM ranges can be.

Mathsma: You're probably using part of your arm/hand/wrist to single tap, that or you're not really controlling it as well as you should be.
Azer

GoldenWolf wrote:

why play a rhythm game if you dont have rhythm
Blueprint

Azer wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

+1
Ziggo

Azer wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

Because it's fun? Why would I only do things that I can already do perfectly.
Rewben2

Azer wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ziggo wrote:

Because it's fun?
Why does someone not having rhythm mean they shouldn't play?
f i z i k

Azer wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

how do you get a feeling for rhythm? by not doing anything rhythm-related?