forum

Incapable of doing slow maps?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Aegyo
Luna
That's not even flaming or anything, it's legit advice.
Play slower maps for a while and you will become better at them. Consciously force yourself to play patterns correctly instead of mashing.
Practice. That's all there is to it.
Bowzaa

Mathsma wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't mash and play ar10 all the time.

Pretty much, yeah.
darkmiz
just play them with DT
usa
you can completely disregard slow maps and get to high rank with dt and hr.
if it bothers you enough, then add them into your routine.
it's painful to play slow maps, but there is a lot to learn from doing this (i.e. consistency and reading).
Bauxe
What is the point of learning to play slow maps if they can just be played with HR or DT?
Vuelo Eluko
slow maps usually requiring you to read the map

ar10 takes all the reading out and replaces it with reacting

you might have skipped that important part of learning by going straight to high ar so just go back and teach yourself.

Dragonhuman it up and turn on Easy mod. If you can learn to read with Easy, AR7-8 maps will be a joke.
Easy is basically the ultimate reading challenge.
Redon
Vuelo Eluko

Redon wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

What is the point of learning to play slow maps if they can just be played with HR or DT?
It's funny how people keep going on about how reading different ARs is obviously a skill and not a matter of preference, while there's this convenient tool called Hard Rock that magically turns AR7-9 maps into ~AR10 for everyone who doesn't like to read anything else.
but it is... reading IS a skill. and the higher the ar goes, the less prevalent reading is... and the less you'll develop it

i may not be the best, any good, or even average at this game, but even i can see that. Ar 10/9.6 is way easier for me to stomach than 7-8 because i have low reading skill like OP
From what I understand it's actually a trend for the newer generation of players to be bad at lower ar...
remember, it's easier to react to what's on the screen than read and comprehend

In summation, Preference? Yes. Skill? Also yes
usa

Bauxe wrote:

because it actually forces you to read the notes rather than reacting to the notes.
you get better at reading by actually trying to read maps.
many new players disregard reading, or somehow think that reacting to notes is reading ("I can read AR10" statements are hilarious).

ever feel that a map's AR and bpm is in your comfort range, and you feel like you can fc it but you can't?
and suppose you do fc it, but you can never do it again.
how about doing it on a different map that you never had the chance to play 50 times?
this is what happens when you skip reading day.

you can still muscle your way to 3 digit ranks with little reading skills and amazing reaction, speed, and aim.
but it's incredibly deceptive and strenuous (and stupid).
Blueprint
I wish I had the patience for easy I would use it, still to the above I've been told multiple times though to acquire speed & reaction & worry about everything else later, question even if I were to learn to play with the EZ Mod woudn't that reading ability just go away while not using it, wouldn't it be just like learning a second language and never using it.

Unless your just really good at the game I can't comprehend how you can be good at reacting to AR10 while also being very good at reading AR 4.

To the Op stop playing AR 10 every now and then
[ Stellar ]

Mathsma wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't mash and play ar10 all the time.
usa

Blueprint wrote:

I wish I had the patience for easy I would use it, still to the above I've been told multiple times though to acquire speed & reaction & worry about everything else later, question even if I were to learn to play with the EZ Mod woudn't that reading ability just go away while not using it, wouldn't it be just like learning a second language and never using it.

Unless your just really good at the game I can't comprehend how you can be good at reacting to AR10 while also being very good at reading AR 4.

To the Op stop playing AR 10 every now and then
first, EZ mod is not practical.
if more than anything, it's a test of how good your low AR reading is, and a troll mod you play for fun with friends.
you can grind on EZ mod if you want to train a specific part of your reading but it's extremely specialized.

second, it's not acquiring speed and reaction and aim first before everything else that is the problem.
the problem is when people do get to the point when they should practice reading, they don't because all they ever done was go fast.
then they put on DT and HR to compensate for their lack of reading, which is incredibly stupid because they won't solve their reading problems by avoiding them but they are free to play however they want.
likewise people who just learn how to read and play maps at a low level will have never have the kind of speed and reaction necessary to move up to next tier maps.

third, you can say that about aim, stamina, speed, etc.
anything you don't use for a while will get worse.
the main point of low AR/slow map reading is that you are actually practicing reading, and to see if you can apply it on faster maps.
but who knows, maybe you'll play a slow map in multi and you won't get completely dumped on.

fourth, reacting =/= reading.
to learn to read AR10, yea you need to be able to first react to it.
but while reacting to AR10 vs AR4 will mindbreak you due to the speed difference (hence why people who can't read can't play AR10 and AR4), reading does not.
reading is looking at the flow of map, listening to the rhythm of the song and notes, determining when and how to hit the notes in advance.
since you are not locking onto the AR of the notes at all times like with reacting, it is very possible to be able to play AR4 and AR10 at the same time.
Dexus
Stop using your eyes to time the notes and actually listen to the music.

My thoughts on reaction based playing and supposed "skill"
It seems lots of osu! players just "react play" anyways. Mods make it so easy to do this. So even if you really do learn to play skillfully/accurately with "Slow" maps it wont mean anything. You just really need op aim and speed (or at least know how to spam "correctly") so you can just slap DT/HR + HD, spam retry, and get high ranks like all other players and Cheaters. Hell you don't even have to get a full combo nor high accuracy anymore with this system to get a lot of pp. Mods = osu! "skill" and easy rank if you can do really fast stuff and just pass or FC with crap accuracy.

Now don't take this the wrong way. There are clearly players who can play mods and play them well, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Also, Easy mod will do nothing really. It's a totally different skill set that really isn't applicable to the main osu! community. If you find fun in it go for it, but really don't force yourself thinking it will make you improve.

let's beat a dead horse more like the usual threads.
Blueprint
I'm definitely guilty of using my eyes for almost everything guess my rhythm isn't good.

"don't force yourself thinking it will make you improve." I've always had this mind set that people who can HD HR or FL everything have the real skill
I do think it takes tons of skill for EZ mod also but I was more impressed with WWW's no mod clear on shotgun sympathy than all the ez mod scores.

Everybody has there own view I guess I personally think HD+ HR is easier than HR alone
Topic Starter
Aegyo
How do I tell if I'm reading a map correctly or not?
Dexus
if you're getting 98-100% without struggling and know what most every single note corresponds with in the song. Some songs are just insanely hard to read though due to odd timings or poor mapping, so keep that in mind.

It's hard to say it isn't my mind set when I've spent the past 5-6 years forcing myself (I still am a culprit of it) and I feel like one of the worst players. Also, there are going to be maps that are just so absurd that you really can't use very many mods with it.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Vuelo Eluko
i'd like to see anyone dt ar7 big black and keep up
Purple
Heh, you could get 100% accuracy on a stream with 1/4 sliders put in it by just mashing, but it would still be bad reading.

You know you are reading the map correctly if you know the intend and purpose of every single one of your keystrokes. That could be a way to put it.

Redon wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

It's funny how people keep going on about how reading different ARs is obviously a skill and not a matter of preference, while there's this convenient tool called Hard Rock that magically turns AR7-9 maps into ~AR10 for everyone who doesn't like to read anything else.
ok, next time I try to play a TAG4 map I'll do it on HR. Or shotgun symphony. Or Freedom Dive 4D. Geez, the things people come up with... I use HR a lot myself and I would never deny I have low reading skills.
Dexus
low ar low bpm - Feels really slow, most likely what op was talking about and isn't really a problem to deal with.
high ar low bpm - You can basically reaction hit on this
low ar high bpm - this is where it becomes stressful as hell
high ar high bpm - welcome to mash

Now this doesn't mean that High bpm = 280 and low bpm = 120. I'm saying the bpm and ar generally can be set correctly depending on what YOU are comfortable with. BPM = rate the notes are played AR = rate the notes appear. If you're seeing them appear slower it stacks because the BPM is causing them to be played faster. This is why EZ mod is so difficult, the notes just stack so quickly and yet you have to keep pace. It's like a queue of commands and how many can you keep up with at a time. Generally AR10 at like <180BPM is you seeing a note and moving to it and clicking it one at a time. As you go up to higher bpm like 300 you can see more notes than at 180bpm, this is easier to read. generally AR9 to AR10 in the 200+ range is pretty comfortable to play at.. At 300 and above AR above 10 becomes more comfortable to play at. You can modify beatmaps and use the right settings to retain a consistent feel accross all beatmaps if you do it right. You can read maybe 1 or 2 notes at a time, or 3-4. EZ is like 10-15 (I don't know really I'm just throwing numbers out there if you understand what I'm saying). This is why in my personal opinion scarlet rose is really hard to read, but when you put hard rock on it becomes insanely easier.

Also I can play at 100BPM. At higher bpm the half notes eventually are technically quarter notes at lower bpm when you alternate on them. This is why alternating is pretty much slow streaming basically and can allow players to play on high bpm easier because you just have to keep rhythm without timing the motions perfectly. This in turn makes aiming easier because it's one less thing the player has to think about and the human brain can only handle so many tasks at once (this doesn't mean it's universal, because everyone can handle a different number of tasks at once). Without going to high bpm however to alternate on half notes and using quarter notes at low bpm the issue is getting a comfortable approach rate.

Every difficulty setting, including slider velocity works in tandem to produce how hard or easy it is to read a map. Mods in turn mess with said settings and can make it easier. I ramble a lot, forgive me.
Luna

LegitPride wrote:

As a rule of thumb, if you are ever not sure if you are reading a map correctly, you are not.
Other than that, what others before me already said:

Purple wrote:

You know you are reading the map correctly if you know the intend and purpose of every single one of your keystrokes. That could be a way to put it.
Zare
Oh god guys, will you stop overanalyzing this game? I'm not saying what is said about reacting and reading isn't true, there's just no point in discussing it like this, because in the end it comes down to what someone wants to achieve int his circleclicking game.

OP, you have 2 options:
a) if you're annoyed by the fact that you're not able to read slow maps, then improve your reading by practicing them, basically you can just throw EZ on everything.
b) if you can't be arsed to practice reading, just don't play the maps or use HR/DT. You will improve either way. It's just that the speed you improve at certain aspects differ, and it's up to you to set priorities.
RaneFire
1) Simply incapable of reading
Try to not enable the HR or DT mods before passing a map for the first time.
2) Getting distracted too easily
You aren't focusing on the things you should be. Try to focus your eyes on the location of each individual 1/2 note, practice snapping your cursor to them, listen to the music and synchronise your fingers with the music. This helps to improve your consistency (aim and accuracy). Start slow and focus on your technique.
3) Can't control impulse to click the circle and make it go away
EZ mod helps a bit, but you need to play other AR's. There is no global AR reading skill, except for AR5 and below (EZ mod), so you are good at what you play the most. AR7,8,9 are what you need to play more, but not exclusively. You should still play AR10 to bridge your reading skills from lower AR's.
4) Get annoyed by the song
A lot of players have developed a tolerance for music and play stuff they don't really like. So you can either do that or just play stuff you like.
S o h
Playing by reaction is the best way to get 95% or lower in accuracy even on OD6

If you can force yourself to move your cursor in a straight path between the circles, I'd say that's a good clue you're reading the map. If you're just reacting, you shouldn't be able to move between the circles with good flow.
Topic Starter
Aegyo

Souen- wrote:

Playing by reaction is the best way to get 95% or lower in accuracy even on OD6

If you can force yourself to move your cursor in a straight path between the circles, I'd say that's a good clue you're reading the map. If you're just reacting, you shouldn't be able to move between the circles with good flow.
That's probably why my acc is so low ._.
Blueprint
2) Getting distracted too easily
You aren't focusing on the things you should be. Try to focus your eyes on the location of each individual 1/2 note, practice snapping your cursor to them, listen to the music and synchronise your fingers with the music. This helps to improve your consistency (aim and accuracy). Start slow and focus on your technique.
On this can I ask If it helps to focus on 1 circle at a time? I usually can't help but look ahead before I hit the note I'm supposed to hit, I'm talking on every general map nothing to do with shapes, I can do this but It completely depends on how spaced notes are really it would be a pain to constantly shift my eyes.

I know everybody may be sick of my questions but I just like to know if I'm doing so & so right
RaneFire

Blueprint wrote:

On this can I ask If it helps to focus on 1 circle at a time? I usually can't help but look ahead before I hit the note I'm supposed to hit, I'm talking on every general map nothing to do with shapes, I can do this but It completely depends on how spaced notes are really it would be a pain to constantly shift my eyes.

I know everybody may be sick of my questions but I just like to know if I'm doing so & so right
You can look ahead before you hit the note. That depends on what AR you are playing.

The reason I suggested it is because he probably doesn't know how to "slow down" for lower AR's, and that makes reading them a pain if you can't control your eyes. It's subject to how many notes you can look at in advance vs how many are on the screen.
Yano
The reason much player are disagree learning to read low AR is bcs it's easier to rank up with reaction

Digits are "important" for much ppl (including me sometimes). So learn reading low AR is a time waste for them.

^This type of Players play low AR with DT(+HR) too boost the AR high enough to react, this habit makes other ppl also make this to reach a higher rank than the ppl who DT(+HR) low Maps.

I don't say high AR isn't skill but basically low AR needs more practice (except you're a magic girl)
(And I also like high are more than low ar)

~Sorry for bad English I'm ail so I don't focus much to write correct
Arcanine
ar10 = nope
practicing slower songs = better reading l8r on
yoyomster

LegitPride wrote:

Dexus wrote:

if you're getting 98-100% without struggling and know what most every single note corresponds with in the song.
And if you're still not certain after getting this, try to get the same result with HD mod