forum

Question about PPv2

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
darioxxx
1st thing i want to say:
SORRY IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG SECTION!!! (I seem to put my posts in the wrong one every time :/)

Ok, now I said that, lets move to my question :P

So i played some maps today, i wanted to increase my pp a little bit. I replayed maps i played before, but with better mods, for example hidden. Then i looked at my PP and it actually went down. I had that before with another map: I played it, got around 11 PP, then replayed it again with Hardrock, and my PP went down again.

It would be cool if someone explained my why this happens. Is it the way PPv2 works (less PP when using mods), or did bancho just hate me be ause i used mods.

Thanks for reading :)
ksg
Most likely you have "improved" your scores by getting a higher score with Hidden mod, but with worse accuracy.
Since Hidden is pretty lightly weighted, you generally lose PP in this situation. Same goes for HR.
If you SS a map with no mods, it's probably better PP-wise than getting a 95% S with HR or HD.

That's what I think, mostly based on educated guesses, and personal experience.
If someone knows better, do feel free to correct.
Topic Starter
darioxxx
Thank you :)

Do you know if it is the same for osu!tp?
Maxis
I've had a similar problem before (though mine seems to be more random). I played a beatmap which I already had an S on, beat my previous score with FC and better accuracy, and my pp went down a few. From what I've heard, your pp can't go down (correct me if I'm wrong), so it seems like a weird situation to me.
ksg

darioxxx wrote:

Thank you :)

Do you know if it is the same for osu!tp?
From what I understand, PPv2 is atleast partially based on osu!tp, so I'd guess it would be the same there, as well.

BTW, there's a thread about the new PP <here>.
You might want to read it through if you want to get more facts and less guesses. :)
Eizan Arizawa
i have a problem here, i always (not really) get SS/S on Hard and Insane song with or without mod but my pp not increasing at all why?
mcdoomfrag

Eizan Arizawa wrote:

i have a problem here, i always (not really) get SS/S on Hard and Insane song with or without mod but my pp not increasing at all why?
I will just quote myself from another thread ...

mcdoomfrag wrote:

Some advice for quick PP farming without wasting time:

1) Look at the Star Difficulty of your top plays (Which is around 2.35~ in your case)
2) Find maps with a Star Difficulty similar to that one, give or take 0.30~ difficulty.
3) Farm those maps
4) ????
5) PProfit!

Edit: Also note that PPv2 takes accuracy HIGHLY into consideration. The difference between a 99% and a 97% score is immense in terms of the PP it gives you.
And a quick explanation of star difficulty (from Rewben2 ):

Rewben2 wrote:

The star difficulty only shows on the website, it hasn't been implemented ingame yet. It's a good guideline for showing how much pp you will get for a song. Mods most definitely affect the amount of pp you will get for a song, but accuracy is another important factor. A 97% nomod score will beat a 95% HD score in most cases I believe (from pp output point of view of course).
Basically, your top play is around 2.65 difficulty, so if u want decent pp, SS maps from around that difficulty (Not less than 2.3~).
Eizan Arizawa
wow thanks a bunch that's really helping my problem. :)
aBunny
what if I S'd a 3.3 difficulty by fluke. would that mean i have to S a difficulty around that area in order to gain more pp? because i clearly cant play that difficulty :x
Luna
A single fluke top score will not completely ruin your chances to gain more pp. You just have to get good scores on maps that are slightly harder than *most* of your top performances, not all of them.
mcdoomfrag

sarasseo wrote:

what if I S'd a 3.3 difficulty by fluke. would that mean i have to S a difficulty around that area in order to gain more pp? because i clearly cant play that difficulty :x
Top scores work kind of like a leaderboard, where 1st place gets 100% of the pp from that play, 2nd place gets 95%, 3rd place gets 90%, 4th place gets 86% ... so and so forth.

So lets assume you have only played 3 maps:

1. 100pp (100%) = 100pp
2. 60pp (95%) = 57pp
3. 50pp (90%) = 45pp

This results in total pp gained of 202. Now, just because you have a fluke record of 100pp, doesn't mean you have to get anywhere close to 100pp to get more pp. All it takes is getting a play that is better than your other non-fluke records (60pp and 50pp). Now assume you make a new play worth 65pp ...

1. 100pp (100%) = 100pp
2. 65pp (95%) = 62pp
3. 60pp (90%) = 54pp
4. 50pp (86%) = 43pp

The new total pp gained after making a play that is slightly better than all your other non-fluke records, while being nowhere near the fluke, is 259, a significantly higher amount.

TL;DR :

Luna wrote:

A single fluke top score will not completely ruin your chances to gain more pp. You just have to get good scores on maps that are slightly harder than *most* of your top performances, not all of them.
Eizan Arizawa

mcdoomfrag wrote:

Top scores work kind of like a leaderboard, where 1st place gets 100% of the pp from that play, 2nd place gets 95%, 3rd place gets 90%, 4th place gets 86% ... so and so forth.
get #2 and only get 1pp why?
Luna
Because the map is too easy.
You misunderstood what mcdoomfrag meant when talking about the leaderboard - it has nothing to do with map rank. Instead it takes all your performances and puts them in order.
Let me give an example, let's assume you have played only five maps and the scores have pp values of 150, 100, 120, 70, 85.
Those are then ordered and weighted:
150 (100% weight)
120 (95% weight)
100 (90% weight)
85 (86% weight)
70 (81% weight)

What that means is, that your 100pp score only really gives you 90pp because of the weighting. You only get a lot of pp for your highest performances, that's why you need to get increasingly difficult scores if you want to gain pp.
Eizan Arizawa
so if i'm get #1 on easy song that's meaning of useless?
Luna
Yes, because it's easy.
Eizan Arizawa
okay... so from now on i will never play easy song again, ow and thanks a bunch of your info
Luna
If you enjoy playing easy maps, just keep playing them.
Just don't expect to gain pp from them, but fun > pp
Eizan Arizawa

Luna wrote:

If you enjoy playing easy maps, just keep playing them.
Just don't expect to gain pp from them, but fun > pp
yes sir, i get it
Topic Starter
darioxxx
I guess ill just play maps i like instead of farming pp :P
I only understand half of what you said :|
Valdyr
Play maps that are difficult to you and the ones that will push your limits to improve. That's what he's trying to say because, now with PPv2, those kinds of maps give you pp. Farming pp will work with PPv2, but only for a short time because of the weighting.

play harder => get better => profit
Dexus
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?l=1&r=0 ... 1&page=100
Start on this page (sorted by difficulty) and play all the hardest maps for the song (Getting high accuracy 98.5 to 100%) and progress to page one. If you can use mods (recommended if you want a LOT of rank) feel free to use them. If you're struggling then try going further than page 100 (possibly 110, 120, etc). I personally have yet to test this (too lazy) but in theory it should work. A lot of pp gain seems to happen in the 3.00 star range, but I don't know if you're ready for that. Currently your top performances have really low pp values and star ratings (around <2.00) so I really would recommend focusing on skill and improving it until you can play insanes consistently with high accuracy.

A solid method would be check the people's pages around your rank (above and below) and attempt to best their scores.

third route: enjoy the game without worrying about rank, you'll have fun regardless of it.
Topic Starter
darioxxx
Ok, now i get it, thank you :)
Eizan Arizawa
ppv2 based on osu!tp right?
show more