forum

Pokemon - 2BA Master

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Darushi_old
Hey everyone. This is my first Beat Map. There aren't any break points anywhere in the song, but it's still fairly easy. There is also one spinner somewhere in there... I'm debating whether to keep it in or not.

I'd consider it mostly finished, though I may edit it a bit so that the hit markers are more in synch at some points.

Anyway, enjoy.

New version: (V 3.0) http://peppy.chigau.com/files/Russell Velazquez - Pokemon - 2BA Master.osz
chan
(from wikipedia)
There is also an error in the title track "2 B A Master", in which the singer, upon claiming that one needs to know all the different types of Pokémon, fails to correctly list the (then) 15 types - omitting Poison and listing Fire twice (once as "Flame").
I find that rather amusing. I'm going to dl this and try it out when I get home (no iPod link cable -_-").
Any chance of doing the Pokémon Theme (Gotta Catch 'em All) by Jason Paige?
Kylecito
the song is not that bad for being pokemon-themed x)

nice beatmap, but remember to separate notes according to their beat! in some parts you put a whole row of fast-notes. and then the same row of the same lenght, but slower notes... it confuses the player as you can't really see the timing only based on the circle outline
Topic Starter
Darushi_old

chan wrote:

(from wikipedia)
There is also an error in the title track "2 B A Master", in which the singer, upon claiming that one needs to know all the different types of Pokémon, fails to correctly list the (then) 15 types - omitting Poison and listing Fire twice (once as "Flame").
Haha, yeah. I noticed that they mentioned Fire types twice, but I had forgotten completely about poison types. Pretty funny.

chan wrote:

Any chance of doing the Pokémon Theme (Gotta Catch 'em All) by Jason Paige?
You bet, I'm working on that as well. I'm thinking that I might do every single theme that they've ever used, if I get around to it. But at the very least, I will do the first one.

Kylecito wrote:

the song is not that bad for being pokemon-themed x)
Well what'd you expect? :P

Kylecito wrote:

nice beatmap, but remember to separate notes according to their beat! in some parts you put a whole row of fast-notes. and then the same row of the same lenght, but slower notes... it confuses the player as you can't really see the timing only based on the circle outline
That's true. I can see where I should have put some notes closer together or further away. Like I said, I may edit it and reupload the beatmap if I make it significantly better, and I'll keep your comment in mind.
peppy
I didn't have any time to fix this one but, but I don't believe you setup any timing for this beatmap. Please watch/read the timing tutorial and use the automatic beat snapping next time!! It will make both the player's and your life a lot less stressful :).

If you need any help with this area, don't hesitate to ask for it in the help forum!
chan
Just played through your beatmap using the editor coz I managed to fail in play mode :O

1) You should definitely use the timing functions and beat-snapping in the editor. I noticed some of the beats were *slightly* out of time. I assume your rhythm must be pretty ok since you haven't used this, but it really helps make sure beats are where they should be, especially for things like sliders.

2) Some sections seem a bit harder in the song. For example, the blue combo at ~54 seconds, there are 3 fast beats overlapped and a slider immediately following, although placed further away. This seems unusually difficult compared to the rest of the song.

3) Beat placement: some are too far (as above in (2)), and some are a little repetitive. I suggest place quicker notes closer and slower notes further (if you get what I mean). I also noticed you placed a lot of single beats in the centre, especially in the end. Mix it up a little and keep the player interested. It also helps in that I (personally) find overlapping notes a bit more difficult than notes spread out a bit. This could just be me though.

4) Nice use of the new combo at ~1:33 mark! It's pretty cool to see all these colour while playing. It's unique and something I'd like to see/use in future (in moderation).

I'm also a bit undecided with that spinner.

Good first effort, I'll be looking forward to a Gotta Catch 'em All beatmap.
eyup
The timing issues have already been mentioned. I'd like to mention one further thing - syncing notes with speech/talking. I don't think this works at all - after all, these kind of games are BEAT based games, and there's absolutely no beat or timing associated with talking. The spoken section in this map was really random - I had no idea when to click at all. Maybe it's best to just insert a break during that section?

With a bit of tidying up though, this map will rock! :)
eyupz
Topic Starter
Darushi_old

peppy wrote:

I didn't have any time to fix this one but, but I don't believe you setup any timing for this beatmap. Please watch/read the timing tutorial and use the automatic beat snapping next time!! It will make both the player's and your life a lot less stressful :).
I'll definitely look into it.

chan wrote:

Just played through your beatmap using the editor coz I managed to fail in play mode :O
Yay?

chan wrote:

*feedback*
Okay. I'll try to balance everything out and make a second version. I'll keep all of your comments in mind.

chan wrote:

Good first effort, I'll be looking forward to a Gotta Catch 'em All beatmap.
Haha, I'll work on that once I've finished this one up.

eyup wrote:

The timing issues have already been mentioned. I'd like to mention one further thing - syncing notes with speech/talking. I don't think this works at all - after all, these kind of games are BEAT based games, and there's absolutely no beat or timing associated with talking. The spoken section in this map was really random - I had no idea when to click at all. Maybe it's best to just insert a break during that section?
Y'know what? How about I just get rid of the talking sections? They're really out of place and I don't like them myself. I could cut them up for the next version, and I don't think anyone would miss them. Maybe keep the first one, then the last few words of the second one?
Topic Starter
Darushi_old
Okay, version 2.0 is here.

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/Russell%20Velaquez%20-%20Pokemon%20-%202BA%20Master.osz

I mixed up the positions of nearly all of the beats, so it's a lot more interesting, and somewhat easier at some points. Overall it's a ton better than the old one, plus there's beat snapping, which everyone loves.

Tell me what you guys think.
awp

Darushi wrote:

Tell me what you guys think.
Woah, talk about neglected. Your timing isn't that bad from a familiarity standpoint; the beats line up with the vocals pretty nicely, but the beat-spacing can be misleading at times, and the song jumps from the main vocalist to the support vocals without warning at times which causes the flow to be compromised. Also, from 3:25 to 3:40, I'm not entirely sure what is going on at all.
Topic Starter
Darushi_old
Thanks, I'll keep your comments in mind.

I'll probably go back to this song and work on another version. This was my first beatmap, and sort of a test to see how it works. When I do get around to it, I'll work on the later parts and such.
Kylecito
Please do it, I love this song and want to play it ranked!
Topic Starter
Darushi_old
Thanks. :D

New version:

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/Russell Velazquez - Pokemon - 2BA Master.osz

If there aren't any major complaints, I'll add multiple difficulty settings and call it the final version.

Also, I took out the "a" with the accent, since Osu! replaces it with a "?" instead.
Extor
I still see the "?" in the song selection screen. I don't know if I downloaded another version. But here are my comments.

I'm seeing you used 1/8 snap divisor with the notes. I think you should try to use a higher offset to make all the first beats fall exactly at the 1/1 snap divisor.
I don't know why but I felt something was off at some parts of the second part of the song.
Maybe it was because of the 1/8 divisor.

That's all! Cya!