forum

Question about performance points

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty
Hey guys i have a quick question about performance points, either it's just me or lately i've really been getting a really low amount.
Before i got a bit even if i finished songs at normal hard rock but now i am doing hard rock and hidden and barely getting any even if i reach top 1000. Similar to hards, before i got some points even if i had A or B, but now even if i finish S i barely get anything on most songs.
So is it a problem or have i just been picking the wrong songs? Or maybe i don't really know how pp works.
Noobsicle
you need better accuracy

and the songs you're playing may be too easy for you
Venumidas
It's because of the new "PPv2" System.

You can see the reason for geting low amount of PP in your "Top Ranks", or if you allready knew that you are probably playing Maps that are not hard enough to give you PP.

Also missing on a Map can reduce the amount of PP extremly(Accuarcy also, but everything over 93% should be fine).

I personaly think that this is stupid cause DT plays don't get rewarded that much if you fail once.

But I'm not sure if the "Top Ranks" are correctly working, I'm sure I didn't get 100% of the PP from my highest"Top Rank".

Also I'm not sure if I'm calculating something wrong but this gave me 6pp.
gamestonk
Look at your top ranks.

Let's make an example for fun

#1 100 pp
#2 56 pp
#3 43pp

100% for #1
95% for #2
90% for #3

We're getting

100 pp
53.2 pp
38.7 pp

From our 3 songs that are worth 199 pp, we're getting 191.9pp

If I become MLGPRO and complete ANOTHER song worth 50pp, then we can see what my new pp becomes. IT would be rank #3, so 90% of 50. and 86% of 43pp because it's #4.

100 pp
53.2 pp
45 pp
36.98 pp

235.18 total pp, even though we SHOULD have 249 according to the original pp value of the songs. You could have also assumed you would have 236.9 if you didn't count #3 going down to #4. Although this is a slight difference, it adds up.

YAY FOR MATH
RaneFire
So basically, making a score that is only slightly better than some of your mid-range weightings might not grant you any additional pp to your total at all, because the ones below it drop in value as well.

This promotes doing "harder stuff" instead of "more of the same."
Tom94

Venumidas wrote:

It's because of the new "PPv2" System.

You can see the reason for geting low amount of PP in your "Top Ranks", or if you allready knew that you are probably playing Maps that are not hard enough to give you PP.

Also missing on a Map can reduce the amount of PP extremly(Accuarcy also, but everything over 93% should be fine).

I personaly think that this is stupid cause DT plays don't get rewarded that much if you fail once.

But I'm not sure if the "Top Ranks" are correctly working, I'm sure I didn't get 100% of the PP from my highest"Top Rank".

Also I'm not sure if I'm calculating something wrong but this gave me 6pp.
You can't just assume you'll get all the value of your new score added to your pp, even multiplied by its weight. Why? Because by doing that score the weight of all scores below goes down a bit. The score which previously had weight 66% went to 63%, the one previously at 63% went to 60% and so on. ;)

So yeah, the Top Ranks are working correctly.
tfg50
No, just focus on improving and you will get pp. I focused on getting faster this week and when i decided to play some dts that i couldnt do 2 weeks ago i went from 2770pp to 2990 in less than 2 hours.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

RaneFire wrote:

So basically, making a score that is only slightly better than some of your mid-range weightings might not grant you any additional pp to your total at all, because the ones below it drop in value as well.

Well i'm trying my best but now even if i try to do hard beatmaps and i get S and them still barely any pp, maybe 1 or 2.
And if i replay the normal ones i try to get better acc and i use mods like hidden and hard rock or double time, but again i barely get any more there even if i got a much better score than before.

2 weeks or so ago i think i gained more from replaying and improving on a beatmap, which is why i made pretty good gains in a short time, but now it feels like i should just download a ton of beatmaps and finish them 1 by 1 instead of trying to get best score i can on any of them.
scottyyy

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

Well i'm trying my best but now even if i try to do hard beatmaps and i get S and them still barely any pp, maybe 1 or 2.
And if i replay the normal ones i try to get better acc and i use mods like hidden and hard rock or double time, but again i barely get any more there even if i got a much better score than before.

2 weeks or so ago i think i gained more from replaying and improving on a beatmap, which is why i made pretty good gains in a short time, but now it feels like i should just download a ton of beatmaps and finish them 1 by 1 instead of trying to get best score i can on any of them.
If you want pp that badly then put your effort into passing insanes. Once you can fc insanes your pp will go up by the 100s. Getting amazing scores on normal difficulties will only get you so far, even with mods.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

scottyyy wrote:

If you want pp that badly then put your effort into passing insanes. Once you can fc insanes your pp will go up by the 100s. Getting amazing scores on normal difficulties will only get you so far, even with mods.
well i don't care THAT much about pp, just that i don't like to farm tons of songs, i like to play the ones i like and be good at them accuracy wise, which is why i was asking since lately i seem to be getting less and less pp even if i am placed 400 from 40.000 or something like that. i can't really finish an insane at perfect atm, though i had finished several but i still didn't get many pp, maybe 1 or 2.
basically i have been asking about pp since i have been putting a lot of effort in improving my scores on several beatmaps but i'm not seeing any results of my efforts.
Skriggniichan

Venumidas wrote:

I don't know about you but anything below 98 is osu! saying "you don't get anything for having bad accuracy." 93 is terrible no matter what in the first place and it would be a surprise to get any pp from something with that accuracy.

Aim and Accuracy play the biggest part in gaining PP right now so if you want easy PP just focus on maps that are especially focused on aim and accuracy.
mcdoomfrag

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

i seem to be getting less and less pp even if i am placed 400 from 40.000 or something like that.
Afaik, the new system doesn't really care about your ranking in the song's leaderboard. The only thing the new system takes into consideration is how difficult it has determined the map you are playing to be, and how well you did in the map.

Some advice for quick PP farming without wasting time:

1) Look at the Star Difficulty of your top plays (Which is around 2.35~ in your case)
2) Find maps with a Star Difficulty similar to that one, give or take 0.30~ difficulty.
3) Farm those maps
4) ????
5) PProfit!

Edit: Also note that PPv2 takes accuracy HIGHLY into consideration. The difference between a 99% and a 97% score is immense in terms of the PP it gives you.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

mcdoomfrag wrote:

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

i seem to be getting less and less pp even if i am placed 400 from 40.000 or something like that.
Afaik, the new system doesn't really care about your ranking in the song's leaderboard. The only thing the new system takes into consideration is how difficult it has determined the map you are playing to be, and how well you did in the map.

Some advice for quick PP farming without wasting time:

1) Look at the Star Difficulty of your top plays (Which is around 2.35~ in your case)
2) Find maps with a Star Difficulty similar to that one, give or take 0.30~ difficulty.
3) Farm those maps
4) ????
5) PProfit!

Edit: Also note that PPv2 takes accuracy HIGHLY into consideration. The difference between a 99% and a 97% score is immense in terms of the PP it gives you.
Not really sure what you mean by star difficulty, but will take a look.
Also good to know that i need over 97% to get good pp with the new system, didn't know that, i usually only have between 94-96% mostly because i tried different mods to get higher scores, i guess it doesn't work that way anymore huh
Rewben2

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

Not really sure what you mean by star difficulty, but will take a look.
Also good to know that i need over 97% to get good pp with the new system, didn't know that, i usually only have between 94-96% mostly because i tried different mods to get higher scores, i guess it doesn't work that way anymore huh

The star difficulty only shows on the website, it hasn't been implemented ingame yet. It's a good guideline for showing how much pp you will get for a song. Mods most definitely affect the amount of pp you will get for a song, but accuracy is another important factor. A 97% nomod score will beat a 95% HD score in most cases I believe (from pp output point of view of course).
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

Rewben2 wrote:

The star difficulty only shows on the website, it hasn't been implemented ingame yet. It's a good guideline for showing how much pp you will get for a song. Mods most definitely affect the amount of pp you will get for a song, but accuracy is another important factor. A 97% nomod score will beat a 95% HD score in most cases I believe (from pp output point of view of course).
ah i see! thanks for clearing that up
yeah i think i'll try playing some normals and get around 98% acc or so with hard rock to see if i can get any pp that way or some easier hards.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty
Hmm i tried to do some SS on some normal songs and i didn't get anything, but on a song i liked i tried to finish hard with a good score and got 10 more pp o.o and it wasn't even perfect since i missed some notes... i don't get it anymore
GoldenWolf
Because Normals are way too easy to give anything noticeable at your level, so of course you won't get anything from it even with SS
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

GoldenWolf wrote:

Because Normals are way too easy to give anything noticeable at your level, so of course you won't get anything from it even with SS
ofc i don't expect 10 points or more just from one song, but at least 1 point per song but i got nothing from them even with larger accuracy.
but on the hards i got more points even if i didn't have great accuracy and missed a few
scottyyy

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

ofc i don't expect 10 points or more just from one song, but at least 1 point per song but i got nothing from them even with larger accuracy.
but on the hards i got more points even if i didn't have great accuracy and missed a few
You don't seem to be grasping that it's entirely based on the songs difficulty. If you're not getting pp it means the song was too easy...that's it.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

scottyyy wrote:

UnderwaterCacty wrote:

You don't seem to be grasping that it's entirely based on the songs difficulty. If you're not getting pp it means the song was too easy...that's it.
well i don't really get it sometimes for example on this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/353748?m=0 i got S perfect with 98.86% acc but i didn't get any pp...
GoldenWolf

You actually got about 5,9pp from it, but since you have a lot of scores around that value (28pp and less) and since they got pushed behind, your pp didn't noticeably change (you could have earned like 0.3pp in total, you can't notice a small change like that)

moral of the story; play more harder maps, less easy ones
scottyyy
That's because it's only 1.94 difficulty

Your top ranks are beating 2.4~ difficulty songs. So if you want a lot of pp, you need to start getting good scores on maps with 2.4 or above.
mcdoomfrag
We just went over this ....

mcdoomfrag wrote:

3) Farm those maps
4) ????
5) PProfit!
I was being generous when I said that you could play 2.05 difficulty maps and get pp, but you went ahead and played a 1.94 map?
What aren't you getting about this? Just play maps that are around 2.35, do decently (at least 97% accuracy) and I guarantee you WILL get pp.

Edit: On the map you were playing (1.94 difficulty) you need at the very least 99% accuracy to MAYBE get pp, because the pp system determined that the map was too easy for you.
Topic Starter
UnderwaterCacty

mcdoomfrag wrote:

We just went over this ....
I was being generous when I said that you could play 2.05 difficulty maps and get pp, but you went ahead and played a 1.94 map?
What aren't you getting about this? Just play maps that are around 2.35, do decently (at least 97% accuracy) and I guarantee you WILL get pp.

Edit: On the map you were playing (1.94 difficulty) you need at the very least 99% accuracy to MAYBE get pp, because the pp system determined that the map was too easy for you.
oh ok then... i guess i get it now, at least i know what i need to do in order to get more pp but i think first i'm gonna try to finish the songs i have left ^^