forum

Just starting to use a tablet

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
burningfire52
so i bought a wacom bamboo tablet CTL-460 and started using it to play about an hour ago, though its very hard to get used to and im failing maps i usually pass with ease with my mouse. Before this i was a mouse+keyboard user for 11 months. Any tips to set up my tablet? My tablet area is the smallest it can be in the bottom right hand corner force proportioned
oRAiiDEN
Just like how you started osu when you were a beginner, it'll take some getting used to, just keep playing :P
[ Stellar ]
If you drag on the surface with the pen, small areas are good for you.
If you hover over the tablet, then set an area about 70-100% of the full area.

Don't get down just because you fail songs you usually pass, because you're just not use to playing with tablet.
TakuMii
...Don't use the smallest area possible. That'll only make it more difficult to aim.
Try to set your tablet area to the biggest area that you can use comfortably (keep force proportions on), and just spend some time getting used to it. And I would also suggest hovering if you want to prolong the life of your tablet's surface and pen nibs.
- Xest -
the first day you will want to quit but it gets better
Mathsma
I would suggest using at least 50% of your overall tablet area. Using an incredibly small area such as the one you are using right now will only cause shaky and unstable aim.

This is about the smallest I would go - http://puu.sh/7g0vh.png
Blueprint
I just play with my largest comfortable area where as I can touch all 4 corners of my screen with some comfort, for me that is a rather small area considering I can only hold the pen by the tip.
Teshi
Certainly just like everyone else has said, just continue to get used to playing with the tablet. When I switched I found it easier to start playing maps a few stars under my skill level just to help me increase my aim. This was back around when I was playing hard. Best of luck with the new tablet.
Arcanine
start small area, gradually increase over time. full area tablet is stronk
TakuMii

Arcanine wrote:

To be completely honest, I've been using full area for nearly a year now, and I'm starting to feel that it isn't worth it any more. Something about my pen grip or my small hands is causing me to hurt my wrist and damage the skin on my fingers with the amount of movement I'm making.
I've also noticed immediate improvement with my jump consistency when I changed it to something more manageable (although HR has gotten a bit more difficult due to the somewhat decreased precision), so I'd still recommend the biggest comfortable area instead of the biggest possible area.
(oh, and before you say anything about "top level players use full area", they really don't. Most of them play windowed with their tablet mapped to the full screen)
Mathsma

YayMii wrote:

Arcanine wrote:

To be completely honest, I've been using full area for nearly a year now, and I'm starting to feel that it isn't worth it any more. Something about my pen grip or my small hands is causing me to hurt my wrist and damage the skin on my fingers with the amount of movement I'm making.
I've also noticed immediate improvement with my jump consistency when I changed it to something more manageable (although HR has gotten a bit more difficult due to the somewhat decreased precision), so I'd still recommend the biggest comfortable area instead of the biggest possible area.
(oh, and before you say anything about "top level players use full area", they really don't. Most of them play windowed with their tablet mapped to the full screen)
I recently dropped to 1366x768 (70%) instead of 1636x920 (85%) and I've been able to hit way more long jumps and I feel way more in control. It takes some time to gain precision, but you can just play some cs6 or cs7 maps to get it.
Caam
Screen resolution matters too.
I have a 1366 x 768 screen and i make my osu window 1024 x 600. It pretty much takes the entire screen so i use a medium size area on my tablet.
TakuMii

Nukes32 wrote:

Screen resolution matters too.
I have a 1366 x 768 screen and i make my osu window 1024 x 600. It pretty much takes the entire screen so i use a medium size area on my tablet.
Screen resolution+osu! resolution doesn't matter as much if you're playing fullscreen (or have the tablet mapped to the osu! window rather than the whole screen). If you have the tablet properly screen-mapped, then only the aspect ratio will matter.
Venumidas
Just play. If people tell you to change your area- playstyle you can try it, but you shouldn't do it if you dislike it or can't even play like that.

I play 1920x1080 Fullscreen, also I'm using the smallest area possible, I can't play in window mode+ bigger area, also I highly dislike playing like that.

Find your own playstyle, you will see you will change it every day/week, never play like "pro" players, it won't help you if you dislike the playstyle.

just because other people can't play like that doesn't mean I/You can't.
Blueprint
@Venumidas ha I Think mine was even smaller when I first used 1 :P yeah best thing is to just get 1 area and just don't change it.

Let me see if I can find that post I made will edit : I blanked out my own post because of harsh criticism
TakuMii
The thing is, when I played on mouse, I used to play on a higher DPI up until I reached about 20k rank, and found that the game became a lot easier when I lowered my DPI and spent a few hours getting used to it. Having bigger targets simply makes them easier to hit, it's pretty straight-forward.
Same logic applies to tablet; smaller tablet area is the tablet equivalent to a higher mouse DPI, although your pen grip plays a much bigger role in how big of an area you can handle.
Mathsma
Sometimes you have to move out of your comfort zone because what you feel is comfortable is not practical. If you want to have consistent aim you really need to increase your area. osu! isn't about speed, it's about precision. Just because you can move your cursor to the other side of the screen instantly doesn't mean you can control it to actually hit the note.
NotCookie_old

Mathsma wrote:

osu! isn't about speed
I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE
Venumidas

Mathsma wrote:

Sometimes you have to move out of your comfort zone because what you feel is comfortable is not practical. If you want to have consistent aim you really need to increase your area. osu! isn't about speed, it's about precision. Just because you can move your cursor to the other side of the screen instantly doesn't mean you can control it to actually hit the note.

... so we shouldn't have fun and change our playstyle just because there are higher ranked people that play another way? Yeah that makes sense, you don't get osu!.

Better watch one of peppy's videos, he himself is saying that there are alot of playstyles and everybody has his own playstyle.

If you play like a Rank 1-100 player and don't have fun you failed your mission on playing osu!.

The best way to improve is not "moving out of your comfort zone", it's having fun at improving.
TakuMii
The thing is, OP can't even use his tablet with the settings he's at. Encouraging him to keep a setup that clearly doesn't work for him is pointless and doesn't make sense. OP is asking for tips on how to improve his setup, not for people to argue with each other.
I also don't see how a change of playstyle could make a game any less fun, or even if the amount of fun an individual has is even related to the topic at hand.
Valdyr
^To add, I'm changing to a tablet in a few days and think it will make the game more fun for me, especially cause I'm kinda 'starting anew' as I've been a relatively long mouse user and think that learning new things IS fun, so he should kinda just experiment until he finds the best solution.