forum

I'm a medical student. Ask me (almost) anything!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuzeyun
I rarely have hiccups - when I do it lasts long and 90% of the time it escalates to the point I'm in a pretty bad pain.
Also, when I am at home, I get to sneeze violently (and that lasts for 10 minutes). I took a test few years ago to know if I have allergies, and I don't have any allergies except mites (which would be doubtful since I would sneeze a lot at my student room - which actually never happens). I open my windows frequently to renew the air in the room.
Trash Boat
I'm not a doctor, but for hiccup i usually drink water while holding my breath by blocking my nose. i hold it as long as i can, then release it. it works for me
LeSpu
My right thumb twitches when playing osu for 20+ minutes when using my mouse. Is this normal?
Raging Bull
Why not join the Navy as a Corpsman? Pretty do almost anything a nurse can do with less school time!

Edit: Or rather you can branch out from the medical field into a more specific one such as pharmacy/radiology/OBGYN/Surgical/Orthopedics/Respiratory etc
Seph

UnderminE wrote:

i have a fever atm, what do
if emil was around he'd say fap
Soarezi

Sal32 wrote:

How to heal a broken heart
stop being sensitive
Foxtrot
you should probably put all the answers in the first post under a huge spoilerbox, so maybe people won't ask the same questions again! just my two cents, though.
piruchan
How many times a day do we have to take a bath? I frequently take 3 baths a day, but some say that it's not good.

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Why is it that when I do anything actively with my hands, they start to sweat. Like they'll sweat really easily...
This happens to me as well, my friend say it makes your palm smooth by keeping it moist, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.
Yuzeyun

Trash Boat wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but for hiccup i usually drink water while holding my breath by blocking my nose. i hold it as long as i can, then release it. it works for me
the question is more directed towards the intense pain it gives than how to stop it
Ceph23
Do you really think weed has any health benefits?
Greust
Why do my hands always get really cold? Particularly throughout the later parts of the day, like, ice cold?

Also, how can you distinguish between arthritis and general cramp/muscle pain? e.g. using a pen for a prolonged period of time gives me fairly uncomfortable pain in the the three knuckle joints of my middle finger, ring finger and my pinky finger. Although I'm not sure if it's just where my muscles are getting cramped or whether I may have arthritis (A lot of my relatives have it.)
Sync
my doctor said that my thyroid is underactive but I'm still a fidgety and anxious and shit wat do

he told me it was weird but never followed up with anything
ALTKID
Can someone in this year reach the age of 150 or 200 ?

bad english orz
Topic Starter
Kanye West

Faust wrote:

As an advocate of healthy living, have you a handful of particular (cooked or uncooked/raw) foods you might be fond of and would recommend to others ?

Personally, I like munching on a variety of nuts and the occasional raw vegetable salad. (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts & celery with olive oil minus the dressing)
For a quick meal: stir fry with a little sriracha usually is what I do. You can use any vegetables you want and it will turn out great but don't overcook. also no soy sauce because that stuff is just liquid salt :P For an even quicker meal: sautee some onions and chili peppers and microwave some of that instant ramen stuff (but don't use the flavoring powder). Combine them, add frozen vegetables and crack an egg or two on the whole thing and cook until the vegetables are warm and the eggs cooked. For something more involved: lasagna with spinach or eggplant filling instead of ground beef works really well. Basically a good rule of thumb is to substitute red meat with vegetables or white meat and substitute salt with low-sodium spices and seasoning. For snacks I usually have granola or greek yogurt.

Seph wrote:

Nyquill wrote:

acute appendicitis
I know your pain, though I never took an operation yet, since it just like goes on and off.

Ontopic: I've had this condition(?) for long now, can't remember really when it started but I always have this feeling that my sinus is always blocked by something, if it helps I used to smoke. I can't be fucked to ask my doctor even tho i always go for a checkup.
Might be allergies or infection, depending on how severe your symptoms are you might want to go see a doctor

XPJ38 wrote:

Every time I go outside the first time in a day, I can't help sneezing multiple times. I feel like it's happening especially if it is windy or particularly sunny. How come?
Textbook example of photic sneeze reflex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Why is it that when I do anything actively with my hands, they start to sweat. Like they'll sweat really easily...
Unusual but normal unless you have other symptoms.

UnderminE wrote:

i have a fever atm, what do
Fluids, rest and time.

_Gezo_ wrote:

I rarely have hiccups - when I do it lasts long and 90% of the time it escalates to the point I'm in a pretty bad pain.
Also, when I am at home, I get to sneeze violently (and that lasts for 10 minutes). I took a test few years ago to know if I have allergies, and I don't have any allergies except mites (which would be doubtful since I would sneeze a lot at my student room - which actually never happens). I open my windows frequently to renew the air in the room.
Pain with hiccups is usually from stiff chest muscles or diaphragm and you should definitely tell a doctor about this. As for your sneezing, some kind of allergen or airborne particle is triggering it. Could be dust, smoke, pollen or something else. I don't know any specifics about what the allergy test you took was specifically testing for but this is what causes triggered fits of sneezing.

LeSpu wrote:

My right thumb twitches when playing osu for 20+ minutes when using my mouse. Is this normal?
No lol take breaks it's probably from overuse or holding your thumb or hand in an awkward position which can apply pressure to nerves

Raging Bull wrote:

Why not join the Navy as a Corpsman? Pretty do almost anything a nurse can do with less school time!

Edit: Or rather you can branch out from the medical field into a more specific one such as pharmacy/radiology/OBGYN/Surgical/Orthopedics/Respiratory etc
Well several of reasons. Primary reason is that military scholarships for medicine are actually competitive and there's a whole application process involved. There's also the fact that by going that path, you waive your rights as a civilian and the government has complete control over you.

Dulcet wrote:

you should probably put all the answers in the first post under a huge spoilerbox, so maybe people won't ask the same questions again! just my two cents, though.
Good idea but I'm lazy and it's hard to do on mobile :P

piruchan wrote:

How many times a day do we have to take a bath? I frequently take 3 baths a day, but some say that it's not good.
1-2 times per day. Too much bathing will make your skin dry and also kills protective bacteria on your skin surface.

Ceph23 wrote:

Do you really think weed has any health benefits?
It's decent at helping cancer patients with severe nausea and vomiting who underwent chemotherapy and it's also a somewhat good painkiller.

Venoko wrote:

Why do my hands always get really cold? Particularly throughout the later parts of the day, like, ice cold?

Also, how can you distinguish between arthritis and general cramp/muscle pain? e.g. using a pen for a prolonged period of time gives me fairly uncomfortable pain in the the three knuckle joints of my middle finger, ring finger and my pinky finger. Although I'm not sure if it's just where my muscles are getting cramped or whether I may have arthritis (A lot of my relatives have it.)
Your cold hands are likely Raynaud's Phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

Muscle pain and cramps aren't felt at the joints. What you have is arthralgia, probably caused from overuse. Arthralgia = joint pain, arthritis = joint swelling. Just take a break or if it gets bad use ice.

Sync wrote:

my doctor said that my thyroid is underactive but I'm still a fidgety and anxious and shit wat do

he told me it was weird but never followed up with anything
You're probably hypothyroid but don't need treatment unless you're experiencing other symptoms like muscle weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness or thinning hair or if you're concerned about sudden weight gain.

AllRiseSilver wrote:

Can someone in this year reach the age of 150 or 200 ?

bad english orz
It's not impossible considering how much our lifespan has extended over the past 100-150 years
Kouya-
I have back problems, I've been trying to sit up straight but every few minutes or so I start slouching and be slowly hurting my back .

Got any suggestions to adjust my back problem Dr. Kanye ?
Raging Bull

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

I have back problems, I've been trying to sit up straight but every few minutes or so I start slouching and be slowly hurting my back .

Back pain has variety of reasons. Strengthen your transverse abdominus and work on your posture. Roll a towel and put it behind your lower back. Might help too.

@kanye any specific branch of medical field that interests you the most? Prefer triage/casualty or hospital more?
Cyclohexane
Whenever I have breakfast in the morning, I always feel bloated and queasy for the rest of the morning. Is it just because I'm not used to it or something? I generally have toast with Nutella and a glass of fruit juice.
Mara
How do I relieve massive amount of stress out of me?
Lewder

Mara wrote:

How do I relieve massive amount of stress out of me?
now this is a question we all can surely answer masturbate to
ColdTooth
My right ear usually has this odd feeling. Sometimes I can feel the insides of my right ear, and it is making my ears hurt. Is there an explanation behind this?
Hinsvar
So, since I was around 7-8 years old, I always felt a sudden burst of... something very hard to describe. It feels like I suddenly lost control of a part of my body (usually my limbs), and it either randomly moves on its own (and just makes me feel like there's something creeping inside the body part, and it also feels kinda... ticklish inside?) or just can't be moved at all for around 3-4 seconds, then it'll return to normal.

When it started to happen, it'll only happen around once or twice a day, but as time passes (I'm 18 now), it gets more frequent. It can happen once every 5 minutes to 4 hours, and it's getting annoying, especially when I'm walking on a public place (like when in a marketplace, school, or somewhere else). It's really uncomfortable.

Is this a symptom of something very bad? I'm getting pretty worried of this because it's already happening for over 10 years.
Lewder
You may or may not have Tourette Syndrome
Arcanine
i usually eat some 'chinese food' 2-3 times a week and every time i eat it, it feels like i just consumed laxatives and roofies.

is dis gud ???????????

i aint fat, underweight more like it
Kouya-

Raging Bull wrote:

Back pain has variety of reasons. Strengthen your transverse abdominus and work on your posture. Roll a towel and put it behind your lower back. Might help too.

@kanye any specific branch of medical field that interests you the most? Prefer triage/casualty or hospital more?
Alright, thanks a lot for the suggestions . I'll try those methods, see if it works for me (well it should) x3
NutritionFacts

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

Stretching, and working out. Things like dead-lifting and rows will really fix your posture. I use to have bad posture aswell.
thelewa
Why won't anyone like me?
Why won't anyone like me without making me try?
Shellghost
Cause you're too likeable. You need to be more of an ass.
B1rd

Lewder wrote:

I don't think that makes you physically lose control of a limb.
thelewa

B1rd wrote:

Lewder wrote:

I don't think that makes you physically lose control of a limb.
don't some people have really elaborate ticks where they have to do something with their body
VoidnOwO
:oops:
thelewa
but he doesn't actually do anything, he just kinda goes limp

wait actually idk he should elaborate more
Hinsvar

BRBP wrote:

They choose to do whatever the tick is, because they feel really uncomfortable until they do it. Not because they lose control of a muscle or something.

This is how he described it.
Edit: old classmate had this.
I'm pretty bad at explaining stuff like this in English (in fact, I'm pretty bad at explaining stuff like this, period), but yeah, it's like what you're saying. It even extends to parts such as my tongue (for example, it felt like I was forced to randomly move my tongue or else I'd feel weird).

And this is getting more annoying as time passes, especially when playing osu! or doing anything in public.
Topic Starter
Kanye West
hey guys I'll get to everything eventually, just letting you know I'm not dead! lol
[ Pingu ]
Dr. Kayne, these may sound like useless complaints, but I just wanna know.

2 Problems

1. When I walk bare-footed, my big toes sometimes get painful when a put the tiniest amount of pressure on them. My parents have looked at my toes and they cannot tell if it's in-grown or not. What do you think?

2. At random moments through out a day, my hands (sometimes feet) get really itchy and start to sweat a little bit. This has been happening for maybe a couple of years now, but I thought it was nothing. But I'm just really curious now. Do you know what it is?

Thanks!

~Pingu
DeletedUser_4041880

OMGPingu wrote:

1. When I walk bare-footed, my big toes sometimes get painful when a put the tiniest amount of pressure on them. My parents have looked at my toes and they cannot tell if it's in-grown or not. What do you think?
I'm not a doctor or anything but has there been a bit of swelling in your toes or liquid coming out of it? If there is, it's probably ingrown. I know it'll be hella painful but just try to move the skin at the edge of your toe and see if you can feel/see your nail growing in it. Try to clip the edge of the nail with a nail clipper. You'll feel a lot better after it's clipped and probably won't have any pain the next day.
B1rd
How should I prevent getting carpal tunnel from playing Osu!? besides not playing as much oc ~daisuki
primrose
How do I lost weight? Like there's so many greasy food in Indonesia and that's like the only choice.
Raging Bull

Frostei wrote:

OMGPingu wrote:

I'm not a doctor or anything but has there been a bit of swelling in your toes or liquid coming out of it? If there is, it's probably ingrown. I know it'll be hella painful but just try to move the skin at the edge of your toe and see if you can feel/see your nail growing in it. Try to clip the edge of the nail with a nail clipper. You'll feel a lot better after it's clipped and probably won't have any pain the next day.
Following up on this. Start clipping toe nail in a straight line instead of curvy. Or make sure the toenail goes past the sides a little so it doesn't dig into tissue when it grows.

Fallist wrote:

How do I lost weight? Like there's so many greasy food in Indonesia and that's like the only choice.
exercise. There is no magic to it. Doesn't have to be insane stuff. Just go for a walk to the store or use stairs and not elevator etc etc. Portion control too I suppose.
[ Pingu ]

Frostei wrote:

OMGPingu wrote:

There's no liquid coming out. And I clip my toes quite frequently, but it will still hurt even after I clip it. I did find a sharp bit of nail in the corner on my left big toe, but I clipped that off but it's still hurting. Yet there's no explanation for the right big toe to hurt when I put a tiny bit of pressure on it.
dinopwn
Hey My eyes really hurt from playing osu
show more