community forum

About Osu! popularity

posted
Total Posts
34
show more
Vuelo Eluko

peppy wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

active users are more reliable, the number of active users hasnt really changed in over 3 yrs
edit: i mean online users
you my sir are making shit up
okay okay, it just always seemed about the same when i hit f9!
Jarby

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

peppy wrote:

you my sir are making shit up
okay okay, it just always seemed about the same when i hit f9!
Haven't you only been here for 6 months?
silmarilen
2 years ago getting 10k people online was a rarity, now it happens daily and i've seen it go as high as 14k+
so yes, the amount of online people is still growing
Tanzklaue
the thing is that it's not even always the same 8k-14k users that are online all the time.

my blind guess would be that the regular playerbase (1 log in at least every week) exceeds 50-100k quite easily, and the semi-regular playerbase (1 log in per month) is probably at least 3 times bigger than that.

it is no lol or dota, but it is probably close to commercially successful titles like sc2 and exceeds a lot of free to play games by a lot.
Purple

bewaredrev wrote:

osu being popular wouldn't be osu anymore
Why? Because hipster logic says so?

Has anyone seen osu! being mentioned in other places? What kind of places? I'm kind of curious about it.
Blaziken
I've seen osu be talked about on that Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Duel Accelerator game which was running for a while
peppy
regular userbase is well over 600k. also keep in mind the MINIMUM online has also seem a huge boost; just a year ago it would drop well below 3k at off-peak times. now it's hard to find it below 7k. i might change the stat on the website from account registrations at some point in the future, since i also agree that this means absolutely nothing.
piruchan
I'm a new player, started back in December 2013.

To be honest, I don't want osu! to get super popular like LoL, DotA, and the likes. Mainly because of this,

Seyrenn wrote:

I asked it once at the brazilian facebook comunity and they were against this idea because osu would get more trolls/hackers if this happen
and the amount of "how do I get better?" thread would rises.

Plus, osu! community is the best online gaming community I've ever known. If the amount of people gets bigger, I'm not really sure that would hold up.

On a side note, most songs in osu! are Japan-related. Considering that there are people who find those kind of stuff as uncool, weird, strange, childish, etc, I'm uncertain that this game will ever be as popular mainstream MOBAs (pretty sure there's a lot of people who find killing enemies is cooler than clicking circles).

Just a thought of a newbie, don't take it too serious :) .
Witch Mercy
All hail peppy, he speaks the truth.
ElykColdster
I want to see a day when osu! gets popular enough that most people know the game. I really enjoy talking about the game with other people and unfortunately there aren't enough people who play osu! to talk to where I'm from.
Topic Starter
Seyren Delicia

ElykColdster wrote:

I want to see a day when osu! gets popular enough that most people know the game. I really enjoy talking about the game with other people and unfortunately there aren't enough people who play osu! to talk to where I'm from.
I know that feel bro

piruchan wrote:

I'm a new player, started back in December 2013.

To be honest, I don't want osu! to get super popular like LoL, DotA, and the likes. Mainly because of this,

Seyrenn wrote:

I asked it once at the brazilian facebook comunity and they were against this idea because osu would get more trolls/hackers if this happen
and the amount of "how do I get better?" thread would rises.

Plus, osu! community is the best online gaming community I've ever known. If the amount of people gets bigger, I'm not really sure that would hold up.

On a side note, most songs in osu! are Japan-related. Considering that there are people who find those kind of stuff as uncool, weird, strange, childish, etc, I'm uncertain that this game will ever be as popular mainstream MOBAs (pretty sure there's a lot of people who find killing enemies is cooler than clicking circles).

Just a thought of a newbie, don't take it too serious :) .
I disagree ... I made a lot of friends playing osu because I only play multiplayer but I met tons of stupid people so if there were more players there would be more trolls OK but there would be more good players too ;)
Tanzklaue

peppy wrote:

regular userbase is well over 600k. also keep in mind the MINIMUM online has also seem a huge boost; just a year ago it would drop well below 3k at off-peak times. now it's hard to find it below 7k. i might change the stat on the website from account registrations at some point in the future, since i also agree that this means absolutely nothing.
i don't like guessing numbers, i always over- or undershoot by a lot ;;
Xiaolin
I do believe osu! is popular, it already have osu!tablet, and ofc that osu!tablet comes with an osu! logo sticker~ o3o Sadly, its only on Japan, I think
XPJ38
osu! can't be as popular as Lol, Starcraft or Dota anyway. At most, it can have a similar userbase than DDR/Stepmania but that's still not even close to Lol's community.
Tanzklaue
pretty sure that sc2 is at max 1-2 million regular players (defined as people who play once a week). psu isn't too far off from that.
Trash Boat
at this rate, 5,000,000 users won't be that hard to achieve
ElykColdster

XPJ38 wrote:

osu! can't be as popular as Lol, Starcraft or Dota anyway. At most, it can have a similar userbase than DDR/Stepmania but that's still not even close to Lol's community.
You have to keep in mind that the entry conditions for DDR/Stepmania are less financially forgiving than osu!'s. Whereas virtually all people on the internet have keyboards and mice to play osu! with, not everyone wants to/can pay for a dancemat and (maybe) a game disk to play DDR/Stepmania.
ggsnipess

Princess wrote:

Also blame those dumb "progamers" like dyrus who play this game during queue times. lol im gonna get flamed hard for saying that
Good giggle i just had.


Rather have a community which likes music, than a community filled with shit threads everywhere and just asking how to get better. Honestly, if the community is like this for every new user, I'm 100% fine with this. Just remember the stigma with music/rhythm games, its for "no-life people" or "asians" or "people who want carpal tunnel syndrome."no offence to anyone, here have a idkwatdisis(^・3・)
Please sign in to reply.

New reply