forum

Emilie Autumn - I Know Where You Sleep

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mogsy
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, December 25, 2009 at 3:03:01 PM

Artist: Emilie Autumn
Title: I Know Where You Sleep
Source: Opheliac (2006)
Tags: emilie autumn opheliac i know where you sleep victorian industrial victorindustrial OHMYGOD
BPM: 160
Filesize: 5973kb
Play Time: 03:11
Difficulties Available:
  1. Psychotic (5 stars, 551 notes)
Download: Emilie Autumn - I Know Where You Sleep
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
I know the bed in the room in the house, you got what you wanted, then ruined it all, I know the secrets that you keep, I KNOW WHERE YOU SLEEP.

Going for approval.
The thing is, this was originally meant for Halloween. NOW IT'S DECEMBER AND IT'S IN PENDING. Lovely? xP

NOTE: Mogsy is not responsible for osu! players who need to enter padded cells after attempting this map.

Was originally planning on strobes, but I feel like the map is good enough without it.
EDIT: Fixed hitsound volumes and stuff that somehow resnapped weirdly.
Derekku
ffffff *dies multiple times*
anonymous_old
It's not that difficult, really. My only issues are zig zags (I suck at those no matter what) and the 120 BPM failness (can't single-click or alt).

Otherwise, woo. Starrr.
Azure_Kite
Why did I not star this

Rather twisted and creepy, I like it Even though I'll never be able to finish it <_<
Takuma
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Larto
IRC modding stuff and zooooom
Bubble #1
Jarby
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
DeathxShinigami
Starred for justice!
cyanberryio
Just got to star this. Seriously, why not? :D
ztrot
2nd bubble
Ephemeral
Approved!
Topic Starter
Mogsy
While I slept, this was approved. Thank you very much, seriously.
Topic Starter
Mogsy
I GUESS PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I MAP. (This is based on comments in IRC)
Please note that I am going to be somewhat rude in this at points. This is not because you think I can't take constructive criticism, this is because I am currently fueled by ire.

Here's some things that have been brought into question both inside/outside IRC. Excuse my lack of paragraphs/formatting, I'm kinda doing this stream-of-consciousness style right now.

Structure:
I map to the music. If you can't see that, open your ears. I do tend to use consistent rhythms/grid layouts, but that's because the parts I'm mapping are consistent. Usually, I don't repeat the same thing more than twice, but I am a fan of consistency. As far as what I'm mapping to in this map, listen to the vocals and maybe then you'll have an idea. In fact, you'll know EXACTLY what the structure is based on for this: the vocals. I may have strayed from the vocals at some points, but that's because the part felt intuitive and emphasized, thus creating a seamless blend. My maps have their structure set in the music itself, for this IS a rhythm game.

Patterns:
Repetitive rhythmic patterns were one thing I was pointed out on. I believe the response I got for my soon-to-be-explained method was: "who says you have to be consistent or match the music?" Me. I set that standard for myself because I don't find fake patterns fun. I tried them on a few of my maps and hated the results, especially in Super Driver. Fake rhythms, even if they feel like they "work with the beat," don't fit for me. If it's not in the song itself, I will NOT map it. I will admit that I do a combination of copy-pasting some sections (yes, sacrilege, I know) and redoing them from scratch. Lately, it's been the latter, with the copy-pasting being some specific sliders. However, I have copy-pasted and reversed chorus sections. Why wouldn't I change them? Because it's the chorus! If nothing specifically changes in the chorus, I would simply horizontally flip the section because it has the same pitch tendencies, the same patterns, the same everything. This song was definitely no different. However, if something changes, I did make the changes accordingly. Patterns tend to be pitch relevant with me, for that flows more easily (both in the editor and in practice) to me.

Speed-ups and slowdowns:
What is with all the speed-ups and slow-downs in this map without actual tempo changes? Here's my specific intention with this map: to map to the vocals while matching the intensity of the music. The half slider speed sections were either for slower parts or for more drawn-out vocal lines. The more drawn-out lines were to make it feel like you're actually more immersed with the singer itself, holding out something in a short amount of space for a seemingly longer amount of time. As far as the 2x sections are concerned, the sudden intensity increase in the music prompted something with a bit more intensity, which, after testing multiple things out, was brought out the best by these 2x sections. The last slider is an intense ending to an intense song. Sounds perfectly reasonable, especially when it fits there.

In the end, if you don't get any of that, it probably all went over your head and you're going to hate my maps. If you're going to hate my maps simply because you don't like me, then goodbye, good day, don't play anything I make, don't talk to me to try to get me to conform to other peoples' styles of mapping, stay in your little safety bubble. If you ever have a problem on my future maps, actually look at them before they're ranked and partake in in the modding process. If you have a post-ranking comment, post in the thread so I may take some possible things into consideration during my future maps. Otherwise, if all you're going to do is complain about them, leave your comments at the door and play something else.

tl;dr: post constructive comments about my maps; I'll be happy to explain why I did something if you don't understand why I did it and I will take SOME things into account for future maps if you're at least polite

tl;dr: don't be an idiot when commenting on my map, idiocy ain't cool, man
Armin
I love the map, it is pretty enjoyable.
Good job :D
Derekku
You can lie to the papers~

You can hide from the press~

I enjoy this map (even though it's so fucking hard godamniadslfkjdaslkfjdsf)
Sushienka_old
LOVE IT! <3